Other Buicks and Years > Other Gran Sport Years

67 GS 400 A/C

(1/2) > >>

wildman:
I am considering adding A/C to my 67 GS.
I talked to Vintage Air and they do not have an system engineered for Buick's. They said I would just have to select various parts and components; sounds a little risky.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

GS66:
I want to add a/c to a couple cars too. I know many have added it already. I sure see a lot of Vintage Air systems on cars when on the Hot Rod Power Tour. Air, overdrive, and disc brakes are probably the best things to add to our cars, and fuel injection maybe.

cwmcobra:
Pinging dsags!!!

dsags:

--- Quote from: cwmcobra on April 13, 2021, 11:28:28 AM ---Pinging dsags!!!

--- End quote ---

Added Vintage Air to a 65 Special. One catch, it has an LS engine in it, so the compressor mounting part of it is different than stock. Have heard of some who install the Pontiac Lemans\GTO kit, but I found it better to pick and chose from their Builder Series.

Followed the lead of Roger Sears’ installation and ran the hoses behind the inner fender for a cleaner look but that isn’t necessary. If the car has no air currently the best bet is to go with a complete air, heat & defrost unit. The best unit they have is called Gen IV. It has computerized operation, etc. BUT, the unit may not fit under your dash. They do sell Mock-Up units for $50-60. They are hollow plastic units so you can size them and only weigh about 3lbs.

The Vintage Air site has dimensions for the various units - GenIV, Compact, Mini and Super GenII.

My install started with the dimensions which led me to ordering a Compact GenII mock-up. Then the fun began. You have to take out the current heater to test fit the mock-up. On a 65 this is accomplished by removing all the bolts from the inner fender and sliding it forward. This gives you access to ‘all’ the bolts on the heater. There is much more to the job (recommend removing the passengers seat) but this is a start.

There are other consideration later such as the hose kit to buy (I have an AC line crimping tool set I can loan out) but the first step is to get the correct unit.

Purchased all of my install stuff from Summit Racing. Used the Vintage Air site just for finding the parts wanted. Can’t post pictures of my install as the are in the wrong format. But PM me and will email them.

Dan

elagache:
Dear wildman, Jim, Chuck, Dan, and mid-60s Buick caregivers who like to be cool!   :glasses9:

--- Quote from: wildman on April 13, 2021, 07:11:10 AM ---I am considering adding A/C to my 67 GS.
. . . . .

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: dsags on April 13, 2021, 12:33:34 PM ---Added Vintage Air to a 65 Special. One catch, it has an LS engine in it, so the compressor mounting part of it is different than stock. Have heard of some who install the Pontiac Lemans\GTO kit, but I found it better to pick and chose from their Builder Series.

--- End quote ---

I also have Vintage Air in my 1965 Buick Special wagon with a big-block Buick engine.  I used the 1964-67 GTO Sure-Fit as the basis for most of the components.

There is a thread about it on V-8 Buick:

https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/installing-a-vintage-air-sure-fit-system-into-a-1964-67-buick-skylark-special.270379/

There is someone on the V-8 Buick forum who make a bracket for the compressor that comes with Vintage Air systems:

https://www.v8buick.com/index.php?threads/455-a-c-sanden-compressor-bracket.274546/

So it is definitely something that can be done.  I'm pressed for time at the moment, but if you have questions by all means ask.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version