Author Topic: Neutral safety switch ?  (Read 609 times)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Neutral safety switch ?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2021, 08:56:49 PM »
Switch should have two Lead wires with water proof connections at least that’s what they said! There should be two lead wires that come off the engine side of the firewall fuse box and run down underneath also with water proof connectors that the switch side should plug into! One side female other side male
Thanks for the info jon . I see Im just missing ANOTHER piece of the puzzle . Looks like there is another short two wire harness that Im
 missing that connects the main harness to the switch .
Anyone know the colors of that harness extension ? I see it starts out as pink and a purple wire .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 03:18:35 AM »
Your very weclome!  :headbang: We are using the site and sharing knowledge as it is intended for! On my 3 speed post there were no wires on the firewall so I don't think it ever had back up lights! They were a option! Some of the times the wires were taped back in the harness even if the car didn't come from the factory with back up lights! I had very nice block off plates that go in the rear bumper and wanted to use them! Got to many parts not on cars! I also will be using the radio delete on the post car even though it had a radio! The weirder the better!? Now I just need to find a deck lid ski rack and I will be all set! Lol
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:21:00 AM by gssizzler »

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 03:47:07 AM »
I will have to look at some harnesses and wiring diagrams! For color ! Not sure if the 4 speed and three speed are different!? There is a diagram of the 4 speed in the chassis manual for the 43000 and 44000 models! Here is a shot of it, not the best! Wire shown is black coming out of harness!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:01:45 AM by gssizzler »

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 10:01:25 AM »
I will have to look at some harnesses and wiring diagrams! For color ! Not sure if the 4 speed and three speed are different!? There is a diagram of the 4 speed in the chassis manual for the 43000 and 44000 models! Here is a shot of it, not the best! Wire shown is black coming out of harness!
Yeah that's the photo I found also . The new harness Loren made for me has a pink and purple wire coming out of the harness up by the main plug about 3 inches long . I'm guessing its maybe because back up lights were an option and the cars without them they simply didn't want an extra 2 feet of wire just hanging there so they had a connector there .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 08:20:02 PM »
Yeah that's the photo I found also . The new harness Loren made for me has a pink and purple wire coming out of the harness up by the main plug about 3 inches long . I'm guessing its maybe because back up lights were an option and the cars without them they simply didn't want an extra 2 feet of wire just hanging there so they had a connector there .
Never mind me !!!!
After CLOSER examination I have come to realize I was looking at the wrong half of the harness .  :tard: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

I hope Loren didn't see this post !
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:22:05 PM by 35chevcoupe »
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 12:50:38 PM »

[/quote]
Never mind me !!!!
After CLOSER examination I have come to realize I was looking at the wrong half of the harness .  :tard: :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

I hope Loren didn't see this post !
[/quote]

You're caught! lol
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 12:59:03 PM »
The purple wire and the pink wire are for the starter circuit.
There should be a pair of black wires that look like lamp cord [ it's called parallel wire ] for the reverse lights. All manual transmission cars should have these wires.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 01:24:16 PM »
 :glasses9:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 04:31:24 PM »
There should be a pair of black wires that look like lamp cord [ it's called parallel wire ] for the reverse lights. All manual transmission cars should have these wires.

Loren

What he said....I also am not so sure that auto and stick harnessess did not share those two black wires if the car has the code for factory back up lamps. Every harness I have seen has the two wires even if they were automatics with back up lights....they plugged in at floor shifted autos and left the two wires hanging there.

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 10:54:41 PM »

Loren

What he said....I also am not so sure that auto and stick harnessess did not share those two black wires if the car has the code for factory back up lamps. Every harness I have seen has the two wires even if they were automatics with back up lights....they plugged in at floor shifted autos and left the two wires hanging there.

66 GS had those backup light wires on both manual and auto cars. They're on the engine compartment side of the fuse block. Backup lights were standard in 66.
Interior wiring harness was auto or manual specific, and more variations for cars with consoles, consolettes, or manual/tach.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2021, 10:11:56 AM »
 I parted out an automatic car and it was wired right into the console harness for back up lamps. The same car also had the two black wires with bullet style connectors hanging from the firewall side into a little clip that was below your feet on the outside of the firewall. I am assuming this harness was universal to any car with back up lamps ordered. My stick car has them and I used a new 60?s corvette switch that plugs into the two black wires and appears correct as far as what I have seen. I believe I saved other 65 harnesses that did NOT have the two black wires.