Drivetrain > Transmissions

65 GS TKO 600 5-speed Conversion

(1/4) > >>

moteaux:
I converted my GS from a ST300 to a TKO 600 5-speed manual  transmission. I also replaced the rearend with 4.11 gears. The differential and transmission gear ratios combine to shift in the sweet spot of the 401 torque curve. It's a combination that is a lot of fun to drive.

I ordered most of the components for this conversion from American Powertrain. The top of the TKO 600 is specifically modified to fit a GM A-Body. And it fits perfectly.

Some part numbers for reference:
- TREMEC TKO600 Part Number:  TCET5009
- Bellhousing: Quicktime Part# (RM-6017); I had to make some minor modifications to the bell for the installation.
- Pilot Bearing (without bushing): AC Delco 14061685 or Dorman Bearing Part No:690-057
- Flywheel: ScienceFriction 11’ FWBU-10002
- SCIENCE FRICTION 1126 STAGE1 SUPER STREET Pressure Plate and CLUTCH
- HYDRAMAX Hydraulic Clutch: HMGM-01101G

moteaux:
I provided American Powertrain with the dimensions of the crankshaft pilot bearing relief area and they fabricated a bushing with a pilot bearing for a nice interference fit.

moteaux:
I had to make a minor modification to the transmission tunnel.

The shifter knob was custom-made by https://www.twistedshifterz.com/.

moteaux:
Some pics of the Hydramax hydraulic clutch. I have a 2015 Camaro SS with a Tremec TR6060 6-speed to compare to and the Hydramax compares very well for clutch engagement and pedal feel.

moteaux:
Some additional pics for reference. The GS stock crossmember can be used for this setup. However, I elected to replace it. American Powertrain cut and balanced a driveshaft for the new length and yoke/U-joint requirements.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version