Author Topic: Armrest Base , front door  (Read 1641 times)

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Armrest Base , front door
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 05:24:55 AM »
I had mine redone several years ago by a company called Chrome-Tech USA. Located in Madison, Wi. Don't remember the cost, but the quality was very good. www.chrometechusa.com (608-274-9811)
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2021, 05:28:06 AM »
Just checked the web site. Owner retires, company out of business
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 07:07:36 AM »
Chrome-tech did mine as well.  He was our go-to source until he retired. 

Onward and upward!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »
My restorer friend has used Instrument Specialties to restore dash bezels, etc. on his Pontiac restorations and swears by their work.  He's never had the need to have armrest bases restored.  They offer chrome plated plastic services and specifically refer to armrests on their site: https://www.instrument-specialties.com/services/plastic-chrome-bezels/

Probably pricey, but worth getting a quote perhaps.

:cheers2:

Chuck

Instrument Specialties uses a plater in MA, https://muellercorp.com/chrome-plastics-restoration/   
I.S. is their exclusive customer.
Might want to ask our Reynolds Buick member, Jack. I.S. is their family business. Can likely provide more details.

The process is called 'vacuum metallizing'. It can be done for ornamental coating, reflectors, or even EMI shielding.
I'm in a similar field, specializing in optical coatings. I did do the aluminum reflector coatings around 20 years ago, that was with a different company.
The preparation of the used parts is very time consuming, and therefor cost prohibitive. Equipment/chamber time for small runs is also expensive.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 09:45:06 AM »
My restorer friend has used Instrument Specialties to restore dash bezels, etc. on his Pontiac restorations and swears by their work.  He's never had the need to have armrest bases restored.  They offer chrome plated plastic services and specifically refer to armrests on their site: https://www.instrument-specialties.com/services/plastic-chrome-bezels/

Probably pricey, but worth getting a quote perhaps.

:cheers2:

Chuck

Instrument Specialties uses a plater in MA, https://muellercorp.com/chrome-plastics-restoration/   
I.S. is their exclusive customer.
Might want to ask our Reynolds Buick member, Jack. I.S. is their family business. Can likely provide more details.

The process is called 'vacuum metallizing'. It can be done for ornamental coating, reflectors, or even EMI shielding.
I'm in a similar field, specializing in optical coatings. I did do the aluminum reflector coatings around 20 years ago, that was with a different company.
The preparation of the used parts is very time consuming, and therefor cost prohibitive. Equipment/chamber time for small runs is also expensive.

Thank you , Walt.
 I have just sent an email to Jack.

Loren

65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 09:36:43 AM »
While i do understand the aluminum 'chrome' coating process, I do not know how they prep the plastic parts.
The old coating is likely removed with an acid, Hydrochloric being an example.
The plastic part then likely gets some sort of primer or base layer to help smooth out surface defects.  Don't know if it's sprayed, dipped or maybe spin coated. The surface must be perfectly smooth before 'chroming'.

The aluminum 'chrome' is applied in a vacuum chamber. The vacuum is required to remove contaminants from the atmosphere which would otherwise contaminate the coating. Parts are fixtured and rotated while the aluminum coating material is heated until it vaporizes..... a thermal evaporation process is likely used..... aluminum clips are hung onto a tungsten filament, current is passes thru the filament until the aluminum melts and vaporizes. The aluminum cloud will spread outward (by ilne of sight) and coat the rotating parts. Parts are rotated so all surfaces get coated without shadowing.
A clear protective layer would be applied over the aluminum. It could be applied via thermal evaporation, or it could be sprayed/dipped/spin coated afterwards.

At my previous job, we coated new plastic parts which only required cleaning before coating. The surfaces were still defect free. Aluminum or gold was used to produce the mirror coating (depends on which wavelength they need to reflect), the final protective overcoat was SiO2 (basically glass). End use could be parts for laser/bar code scanners, we even did some prototype headlight reflectors for Cadillac in the 1990's.
This process is also used to refinish mirrors in optical systems such as telescopes.

Wish I knew more about the prep they do before applying the aluminum chrome. That is likely a trade secret.
Years ago I would just wet sand the armrest base and paint it to match the door panel. Now I fear the sanding makes the part unusable for rechroming.

I made a career out of optical coating as a Thin Film Process Engineer, it's been a fascinating 30 years. Loved the R&D work but it gets heavy on the physics which can make my head spin!
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 10:41:46 AM »
Just curious if anyone has looked at this option?

https://pchrome.com/applications/plastic/

It's probably about the same cost as vacuum metalizing but not sure about results. I'm confident as with most things it's all in the prep.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for the reference! (Re: Armrest Base , front door )
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2021, 01:33:58 PM »
Dear Don and mid-60s Buick restorers,

Just curious if anyone has looked at this option?

https://pchrome.com/applications/plastic/

Thanks for sharing this with us!  I wasn't aware of this process.  I don't have any obvious need for this product at the moment, but a greedily stashed it away in my collection of bookmarks - just in case!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2021, 06:28:31 PM »
 Hi Don, I went on that website, then I remembered in 2020 when we were all on lockdown here in NYC I was watching past episodes of Jay Leno's Garage and saw a rep from a company showing Jay how to prep and use spray chrome on a plastic part. We may want to google that episode and see if it is the same company..

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline red65gs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2021, 09:04:13 AM »
Thanks, Tony. that's interesting, I'll see if I can find that episode.
Don
Central KY
BCA 51221

Offline 65Lark

• Buick Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2021, 12:41:15 PM »
I?d be in for a set also

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2023, 01:44:36 PM »
More research into companies offering a refinishing service for the arm rest bases.
I spent some more time on this and found a couple of other sources.
I used Vacuum Orna-Metal a couple of years ago but found that the quality control wasn't what I felt comfortable with. Even after returning the arm rest bases for having dust in the finish. The re-done bases had dust, just in a different place.
 Today's search turned up a couple of other sources. I sent pictures to them and received price quotes.
One is M&M Metalizing Sales out of Westminster, CA. Their quote is $75.00ea, 2 to 3 weeks +shipping of $35.00. After stumbling upon a couple of reviews, this looks like a company to stay away from.
 The other is Instrument-Specialties, Inc. Their reply is, Figure $160 - $210 a unit to strip, re-chrome and install new reflectors depending on condition.
 From a thread on v8Buick, another possibility is G CAR out of Chattaroy, Washington.

Loren
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:15:59 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2023, 05:13:24 PM »
  Hi Loren, You might want to give Paul's Chrome Plating in Mars PA a call 800-245-8679 they were doing vacuum metalizing several years ago, they may still provide the service ?

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2023, 05:19:45 PM »
Thanks Tony,
 I hadn't thought of Paul's.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior