Drivetrain > Differentials, Axles & Brakes

Fact check 4 speed driveshaft length 1965 skylark

(1/2) > >>

Robert V:
Hello,
Up late tonight couldn't sleep.

A four speed solid driveshaft is 59 inches (length from center of "u" joint to center of "u" joint).

The 2 piece (automatic transmission) driveshaft is 1 inch longer at 60 inches measured the same way?

Thanks,
Robert

Brian:
What you stated is correct for a 65-66 Skylark GS with 401 engine.
With a 225/300/340 engine, the driveshaft is same length for ST300 auto, 3-speed manual, and 4-speed manual, and is same length as GS401 automatic driveshaft. 
  Now, does anyone know the correct length for a 65-66 Skylark GS with 401 and 3-speed manual trans?

Robert V:
Brian,

I measured 60 inches on my driveshaft.  I am using a 300ST automatic driveshaft (rubber isolated) with a T10 4 speed on my 300 V8 motor. I became worried when I read specs for the 401 motor.

I was thinking about switching to a solid driveshaft if I can locate a correct one.

Thanks for clarifying.

gssizzler:
 You want to be careful with this! A buddy had his GS converted to a 4 speed and when I talked to the guy doing the conversion,I discussed the importance of correct length and solid driveshaft with him! The length is important because you need slip or travel ! Well you can guess what  happened! The driveshaft bound up in my buddies GS and broke the pinion in half at the yoke! In fact I was with him going to a car show! Luckily we were just pulling away from a light in town ( low speed) not going down the road at high speed! We or the car could have been severely damaged!, or could have injured someone else!

gssizzler:
Here are a few pics of the carnage! The shims and bearing are laying on the ground!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version