Author Topic: A Great Crusade  (Read 423 times)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: A Great Crusade
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 01:47:10 PM »
And a few more pics...  ws

Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
If you want a replacement gas cap. (Re: A Great Crusade)
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2019, 02:04:31 PM »
Dear Bill, Loren, Jim, Michael, Iain, Walt, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I have a question: How do I get some of Bill's energy?!

. . . I'm not sure about that!  Maybe we need to put a governor on Bill!  I can hardly keep up! . . .  :laughing7:

Seriously, I see that your 'Lark's gas cap has seen better days.  You won't have too much trouble finding a replacement.  It is a non-vented cap.  Station wagons on the other hand are vented caps and. . . . . are not easy to find!  :BangHead:

However, there were a number of design changes over the 1960s and 1970s.  You "might" have a problem with the caps that have protrusions on the lid.  They don't fit in a wagon's filler bay.  Also, gas caps after unleaded gas have a different depth than those for cars taking leaded gas.  So a 1970 cap that looks very much the same won't fit a mid-60s car.

You guys might know all about this but . . . . . but I didn't! :icon_scratch:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2019, 02:16:34 PM »
I was a little leary about the aftermarket sending units,but I ended up buying a stainless steel version with a larger 3/8 line. The gauge works excellent.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Fuel-Tank-Sending-Unit-Stainless-Steel-3-8-for-GM-A-Body-Chevelle-GTO-Lemans/311663640891?fits=Year%3A1964%7CModel%3ASkylark&hash=item489099c13b:g:OtsAAOSwIbtb7dPB

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 05:22:14 PM »
Did you upgrade the frame rail pipe as well? Looks like another "While yer in there" moment coming on!  Bill

Offline TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • BUICK. Where the rubber meets the road...
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 05:51:34 PM »
I changed my 5/16 fuel line for 3/8, one piece. (convertible/boxed frame).

I bowed the line in the middle, pulled the front through the frame by the cowl and out the frame horn by the steering gear box and front member, and that allowed the back bended part to be pulled over the rear axle (hanging) as the car was on jack stands.

I also had the trans crossmember out but it really was not as hard as the brake lines were. (both on the driver's side)

I am all about "while you're in there...".
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 06:13:49 PM »
Im debating whether "now or later" on the frame pipe. The new sender is 3/8 and Im pretty sure the 1975 pump nipple is 3/8 as well. The 2 door coupe frame has an open section by the crossmember to make getting a pipe in there pretty easy. Did that with the brake pipe. Hate to buy a full 20 foot coil again; that means a coupling mid point with cheater lines.  ws

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 09:54:41 AM »
I think yours should be easier than the boxed frame,but not for sure. The nailhead engines are a bit of an afterthought in engineering and had a hose running under the oil pan to run to the pump on the passenger side. Under the driver side cowl there is an oval shape cutout that the factory routed the fuel line through and it had a protective rubber sleeve over the line to protect it from road vibration. I think if you snuck it through there first and worked toward the tank it would be the way to go.

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 11:07:09 AM »
Not too sure. I did the brake lines (all 4 corners) and it was pretty easy. I dint get into the rolling offset however (thats the twist over one another) but still turned out pretty satisfactory.  You can bet Ill take the easiest route possible; just so the judges dont get down there with mirrors and borescopes LOL...  ws

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:41:02 PM by yachtsmanbill »