Author Topic: Hood to Fender Bumpers  (Read 1163 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Hood to Fender Bumpers
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »
Comparative measurements of the used original bumper and the Fusick bumper are attached.

- Looks like the Fusick bumpers will need to be trimmed to width.  They vary a bit, but they are up to 1/8" wider than the originals.
- The Fusick bumpers are about 1/8" shorter than the originals.  I agree that this shouldn't be a problem.
- The thickness of the Fusick bumpers are about 1/16" less than the originals.  Since the hood doesn't close to that surface, I don't think this is a problem.
- The distance from the bottom of the bumpers to where the taper starts toward the top is quite different.  The Fusicks are start the taper at a lower point than the originals by just over 1/8".  Not sure if this is a problem.
- An important dimension is the distance from the bottom of the bumper to the bottom of the tang that will seat in the bottom of the slot in the fender.  If this is out of whack, the bumper won't fit against the shelf in the fender when installed.  The Fusick bumper is about 1/16" taller in that dimension than the original.  Might have to trim it to fit.  Might also have to put a radius on the inner edge to better fit the fender.

Not perfect for sure, but a good chance of fitting it properly trimmed.

What are the dimensions of the OEM part (Jon) and the CARS part (Edouard) from the bottom to the bottom of the tang and from the bottom to the start of the taper toward the top?

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
You make the case for Fusick! (Re: Hood to Fender Bumpers)
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 03:53:44 PM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s Buick caregivers who are fussy about parts,

Comparative measurements of the used original bumper and the Fusick bumper are attached.

The Fusick reproduction is a much more substantial replacement than the CARS parts.  I rather suspected I would end up ordering the Fusick bumpers, but you have made the case for me!

What are the dimensions of the OEM part (Jon) and the CARS part (Edouard) from the bottom to the bottom of the tang and from the bottom to the start of the taper toward the top?

Dimension from bottom to bottom of tang on CARS reproduction is: 3/16".

Dimension from the bottom to the start of the taper on the CARS reproduction is: 1/2".

Hardly a surprise, but the CARS reproduction is providing much less rubber to cushion the hood.  When in doubt, I would feel better have at least as much rubber as came from the factory in 1965.  I wouldn't be surprised if the excess dimensions you are observing on the Fusick reproduction is actually more accurate than Jon's NOS part.  in ~50 years the rubber could have contracted a bit from drying.  If Fusick has the OEM molds, it could be the actual standard to judge against.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 04:16:32 PM »
The width of the slot for the bumper in the fender is 3/4", so the Fusick bumpers might be a bit too wide.  I think with a sharp knife and some care they can be narrowed, if necessary.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Jimbo

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2019, 08:13:57 AM »
Anybody look at Steele Rubber Products part #70-1963-42 ?
https://www.steelerubber.com/hood-bumper-70-1963-42

Jim
Chicago

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »
Just an FYI... I managed to "fit" my radiator rubber mounts with a wire wheel on the bench, and a table top belt sander. A knife is a bit tedious.   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »
Anybody look at Steele Rubber Products part #70-1963-42 ?
https://www.steelerubber.com/hood-bumper-70-1963-42

I have not.  Based on the dimensional and pictorial information on the Steele site, I didn't think they were as good a fit as the ones from Fusick.  If you are willing to purchase them and confirm dimensional information as we've done for others it would certainly add to this review and be appreciated.

:cheers2:

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100