Author Topic: Top-5 V-6 engines according to . . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)  (Read 4066 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
History of "Buick city.". . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2023, 01:25:18 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Hagerty's has a piece on "Buick city" a 413 acre complex that GM vacated in 2010.  It is finally getting a chance to be redeveloped.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/buick-city-once-an-automotive-metropolis-finds-new-life/

Most of the piece is the history of Buick which I assume virtually everyone on this board already knows, however it is nice to see a piece of history finally getting a new purpose.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Top-5 V-6 engines according to . . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2023, 06:00:52 PM »
  Thank You Edouard, I really enjoyed the article you posted. I never get tired reading about our nation's automotive history and the great men who created it. And all the jobs it created. I'm very proud to say that my Father was one of them that worked 5 days for the Buick Dealership and the 6th day for himself here at the house so he could put my Sister thru college, and every couple of years we would go on a small summer vacation. In the 39 years he worked, he was never unemployed ! Thank You GM

Tony  :thumbsup:
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2023, 10:02:34 PM »
Thanks Edouard,
    There were several Flint factories connected and in close vicinity in the heyday of the union. America was in its prime and being a union brother had true meaning. In fact, the local 651 union parking lot had a sign that read Foreign cars will be towed. If a factory went on strike nobody worked until the issue was resolved. By the mid 80?s Buick City had to truck in wheels and tires and the rest of the car was literally all made there. By the 90?s my dad helped me through college and political science teachers were already explaining why German cars were so much better than U.S. vehicles. Multi-national corporations were teaming up with media,educational institutions,and of course the P subject we don?t speak of.
    GM,Ford,and Chrysler were now competing in a world market that was exponentially growing and demand for more money from municipalities and  regulations from safety to fuel mileage had taken its toll on the automotive industry as far as Flint was concerned. Corporations found it more profitable to build new plants from the ground up rather than pay all the extra dollars that in now took to do business in the new world of post Reagan economics. Interestingly enough the GM truck plant survived all of this and is still going today. Buick did not survive as a plant but definitely survived as a name and it would be nice to see it once again where it started.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Hearing protection advice for your shop . . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2023, 12:49:51 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who like to tinker,

This morning Hagerty's has a piece on the sort of hearing protection you should have in your auto shop:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/4-types-of-hearing-protection-any-shop-should-have/

If you actually do a significant amount of work on your classic(s), there is some good advice in this piece worth considering.

Edouard

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hearing protection advice for your shop . . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2023, 02:17:38 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who like to tinker,

This morning Hagerty's has a piece on the sort of hearing protection you should have in your auto shop:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/4-types-of-hearing-protection-any-shop-should-have/

If you actually do a significant amount of work on your classic(s), there is some good advice in this piece worth considering.

Edouard

And the disposable ear plugs work well at night if someone makes too much noise when you are trying to sleep...... . .  :icon_thumright:
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2023, 05:17:18 PM »
     For us do it yourselfers that have the power tools that help us get the job done, excessive noise is a problem. When I upgraded my Shop/garage back in 2007 I set up a portable workbench that stays outside, It's an old stainless food service cart that I salvaged from a local hospital, I added a pressure treated wooden top with vice that I purchased for $5 at a local estate sale. If I need to cut or grind most of the sound dissipates, and cleanup is easier. For the tools that are stationary, the air compressor, blast cabinet vacuum and the drill press. They are loud and I have over-ear muffs that I use. I find them to be very comfortable and quiet and sometimes I even forget to take them off and just enjoy the peacefulness.
   The loudest tool in my shop is a large Craftsman shop vac that we purchased back in the late 1980s. I don't know what possessed us into purchasing such a large vac. When you flip that switch it sounds like a Grumman F16 ! And it can suck up rocks, tools and probably a beer can (with beer) It's actually too bulky & powerful to clean a car so I only use it to clean the shop floor. I purchased a small Craftsman Shop vac that has a normal vac noise to vac the cars.  The Hagerty article points out that there are many different ways to protect your hearing. I use the over-ear muffs it works for me... 

Tony
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Some insights on the CA CARB vintage car survey . . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2023, 12:01:34 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers with some concerns about regulation,

There are a few members of 65GS.com in California.  Some of you might have received the vintage vehicle survey from the California Air Resources Board (CARB).  That survey raised alarm bells throughout the classic car community.  This morning Hagerty's Aaron Robinson has an insightful piece on what that survey actually means.  The title basically makes for a good synopsis: "Opinion: California CARB’s vintage car survey is about data, not doomsday"

https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/opinion-california-carbs-vintage-car-survey-is-about-data-not-doomsday/

There is no missing the point that there is increasing governmental pressure to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.  However, it seems likely that vintage car ownership isn't at least immediately threatened.

FYI: . . . . . .

Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
The right to repair movement . . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who like to tinker with modern vehicles as well,

Admittedly this is a bit off-topic, but Hagerty's has a piece on an issue at least I wasn't aware of.  There is an effort to force manufacturers to allow users to repair devices that otherwise could have to be abandoned.  Here is the link:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/right-to-repair-made-strides-in-23-but-the-movement-has-far-to-go/

The issue can be summarized by this sentence from the article: "In a nutshell, the Right to Repair fight comes down to this: Consumers want the right to work on their own cars, farm machinery, and electronics. Manufacturers, of course, would rather keep the required computer codes and specialized tools to themselves, citing trademark issues and trade secrets."

It is an interesting matter at least to me.

Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
The man who collects classic boats. . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2024, 03:38:19 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers with an interest in anything mechanical,

It is definitely off-topic, but Hagerty's has a story about a man who collects classic boats:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/member-stories/style-stories-history-why-i-collect-classic-boats/

These old wooden boats are definitely beautiful and the stories of their engines is also interesting.  It is a worthwhile few minutes of reading.

Edouard

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2024, 08:43:32 PM »
 Edouard. Off topic but definitely a worthwhile topic on a cold winters night. Reading the article brought back a flood of memories of my youth and the first attempt at restoration. When I was 17 I purchased a very sad looking 1959 Cruisers inc. 16ft wooden boat for $50. I found the boat sitting on blocks in the neighborhood where my Family had purchased a beach house on the east end of Long Island several years before. Since most of the homeowners had boats, I was able to borrow a trailer and bring my the boat home and secure it back on blocks. It did not have a motor or any controls, what it did have was lots of leaves, acorns, pinecones and families of mice living in the bow. After eviction, shop vacuuming and sanitizing my Father & I gave it a good look to see if I bought a $50 flowerbox or would it float ! We decided to turn it upside down and check the bottom to be sure. So with our neighbors help we flipped it and checked the hull with an ice pick. It was solid, I  had no idea what I got myself into. I had just started college and had a part time job cleaning a clothing manufacturing facility. So paying for supplies was a slow grind, but I would ask family, friends & neighbors if they had any old painting supplies & sandpaper whatever I could get for free I would use including an old belt sander that I found at a yard sale along with a half gallon of coral blue bottom paint. Marine grade poly & deck paint were paid for by selling a bike, scrap radiators & heater cores from my fathers side work at the house. With a lot of hard work 18 months later my boat was ready. It looked new and I was so proud. But it was the middle of the Summer and I'm sitting in a boat in the yard having a beer with my Father and don't have a trailer or a motor ! or enough money to buy either and refuse to ask my parents for money since they were paying for college. So I covered the boat with a tarp and walked away.. When I get a real job I will buy what's needed.
   after several weekends went by we were headed back to the east end on a Saturday and my Father was not taking the usual route, so I asked my Mother "where are we going" she said "your Farther wants to see something" so after driving for an hour we arrived at the Lindenhurst boat basin ? I was totally clueless ! The three of us went inside and my father told me " Tell the man what type of boat you have because we are buying you a new trailer" I turned to look at my mother and she had her checkbook out and she was smiling. I said "no but she said "yes" and it was final...Paid in full, we were to pick it up the following weekend. We got back in the Buick and continued on.  I said Thank You to both of them and as soon as I get a full time job i would save up for the outboard motor and a bottle of champagne. My Mother said "Oh no! we are not waiting that long, Your Grandfather told me if you finished the boat he would buy you a new motor. So when you get the boat on the trailer it goes to the marina for the new motor!"  Again I said Thank You and realized, they were planning this all along just to see if I could restore the boat.
   We spent many summers Fishing & cruising in our vintage wood boat, we even had a garage built so it would be out of the elements in the winter months.
  When I started working for NYC I moved up to a bigger boat and sold the wood boat and never seen it again, but I will never forget the story behind the boat called ANTICIPATION.  I don't have a clear photo of my boat, but I looked on the internet and found the same boat, mine was in better condition......

Tony     

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing your boat story and another! . . . . (Re: Hagerty's enews)
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2024, 03:29:19 PM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick caregivers with aquatic inclinations,

Edouard. Off topic but definitely a worthwhile topic on a cold winters night. Reading the article brought back a flood of memories of my youth and the first attempt at restoration. When I was 17 I purchased a very sad looking 1959 Cruisers inc. 16ft wooden boat for $50.
. . .
but I will never forget the story behind the boat called ANTICIPATION.  I don't have a clear photo of my boat, but I looked on the internet and found the same boat, mine was in better condition...... 

Thanks for sharing Tony!  It is a wonderful success story!

I have another boat story that involves my trusty wagon, but without such a happy ending.  My parents enjoyed waterskiing.  Shortly after we bought Biquette in 1968, they started shopping for used ski boat.  We were looking at a 14 foot runabout when Mom accidentally locked us out of Biquette with the keys inside!

The family who were selling the boat helped us out and eventually we got Biquette unlocked.  Feeling guilty, my parents ended up buying the boat.  Alas, it wasn't a good choice because it too small to accommodate 4 people and it was under-powered for waterskiing.  Worse still, a crack developed along the keel.   Apparently the boat hit an obstacle in the past and damaged the fiberglass.  My Dad toyed with various schemes to repair it, but in the meantime, our interests switched from waterskiing to sailing and the boat was left idle.  It remained that way for decades before we finally donated it.

We did manage to keep some pictures.  Here is one from the Biquette website:

Obviously, I was quite young at time!

Nonetheless, it was an expensive purchase simply because Biquette had been accidentally locked with the keys inside!

Edouard
« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 03:38:48 PM by elagache »

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2024, 08:32:24 PM »
  Hi Edouard and members that have Boating or Sailing memories.. Yes, that 14 foot runabout was under powered for skiing. It looks like a 50hp outboard. You would need at least an 85hp to ski with 2 skiers, a driver and a spotter. I tried skiing once and it was not for me, I'd rather be sport fishing. Catch & release is fun and relaxing and how we spent lazy summer days on the water. My boating days are over, now I spend time with my Wife, Children & 3 Gran Sports and sharing stories & information with everyone on this site.

Tony   :cheers2: