Author Topic: Functional 1967 GS hood scoops on a 1965 Buick?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Functional 1967 GS hood scoops on a 1965 Buick?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 01:40:28 PM »
This has become a very interesting discussion. Finding a method to significantly reduce engine bay temperatures would equate to building a better mouse trap. 
Collecting data is mandatory for a baseline of both a stock 65 big block and your modified version.  You need to find a way to identify actual engine bay temperatures including with AC on and off compared to the OAT.
 To satisfy my curiosity I used a thermometer with with a remote wireless sensor to determine the actual air temperature entering the carburetor at the inlet side of the air cleaner element on my 454 Elky with cowl induction. It consistently ran ten degrees above OAT.
Good luck, looking forward to results.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Interesting - need more research (Re: 67 hood scoops on a 1965 Buick?)
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 02:01:39 PM »
Dear Michael, John, Kevin, and mid-60s Buick owners seeking tasteful and functional mods,

Perhaps run the ducting attached to the hood, at least to the rear of the hood/firewall, and have the duct "nest" above and parallel to the valve covers with enough clearance so they do not contact the covers.

That's what I was thinking about as well.  However, I would need at least a inch between the hood and the air cleaner.  I don't have that right now.

The ducts could be fiberglass formed to allow a different shape (like conformal fuel tanks on the F-15E).

Now that's an interesting idea!  It would be a lot easier to make a mold for something like that and it could be finished to be at least non-distracting.

If you did the "box", you could use a blower motor and get 200-250CFM, with a motor designed to run continuously in a hot environment.

Yes, that is what I was thinking as well.  The Spal fan that I linked to in the previous posting would certainly be up to the task.

Does the base of that air cleaner drop down or is it flat across the bottom?

Unfortunately, the base already drops a full inch.  I've never see any dropping air cleaner base that provided more than one inch of additional clearance.  This engine really wasn't designed for this car and the height is a known issue.  Unfortunately, FAST is really behind the state of the art for throttle bodies and their unit is a lot taller than it has to be.  I'm not anxious to replace it, but I may ultimately have no choice.  This is a case where using a bit of high-tech on a classic car could force you into the upgrade grind of other technology like this.

This has become a very interesting discussion. Finding a method to significantly reduce engine bay temperatures would equate to building a better mouse trap. 
Collecting data is mandatory for a baseline of both a stock 65 big block and your modified version.  You need to find a way to identify actual engine bay temperatures including with AC on and off compared to the OAT.

Actually I have a perfect way to collect this sort of data because the intake air temperature is one of the parameters that is logged by the FAST Sportsman EFI system.  I already have some data.  I'll try to make some graphs of intake temperature to share.

I'll need to put some more time into this!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Intake temperature graph from 2016 (Re: 67 hood scoops on a 1965 Buick?)
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners who want your engine to be cool as well as your car to be "kewl"!  :glasses9:

Sorry it has been a week of household plumbing mishaps so not much progress on da' trusty wagon.  I did find myself in front of my computer long enough to grab the log I took while driving Biquette around town for about 20 minutes on April 12, 2016.  I've used the FAST software to display the coolant and air intake temperatures.  Here is what that looks like:

Unfortunately, the software staggers the graph values, so you can compare the temperature values directly.

The coolant and air temperature start out with the car cold at 66 degrees F, so I think that can safely be assumed to be ambient air temperature at the time.  It was a cool and foggy day, so that temperature didn't significantly go up the entire drive.  The top engine RPM was only about 1800 so I definitely didn't get the engine very warm.  Even so, the engine was warm enough to maintain a thermal gradient of 24 degrees above ambient.

That is one of the main reasons I'm a bit concerned about engine bay and air intake temperatures.  I do hope to make the Route-66 pilgrimage in some future year - of course in winter!  Even so, it isn't unreasonable to run into 90 degrees or more in the deserts in wintertime.  When Rich Nedbal did the tuning of Biquette on April 26, 2016, he observed air intake temperatures of over 120 degrees on a day where the high only 66 degrees.  If freeway driving can produce 60 degree gradients between the ambient temperature and the air intake temperature, I don't think I want to try to tow a heavy trailer with Biquette's engine trying to inhale 150 degree air!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:13:16 PM by elagache »

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Functional 1967 GS hood scoops on a 1965 Buick?
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 03:41:05 PM »

I cannot recall the technical name for this effect,...

Boundary layer.

And speaking of that, several aircraft utilize boundary layer control (BLC)

on the F-4 C/D and Recce, as well as the Navy/Marine F-4B, BLC was "enhanced" by bleed air from the engine's 17th stage turbine, bypassed and vented across the leading top edge of the inboard wing behind the flaps and leading edge of the rear flaps when the flaps were fully extended, and only on the leading edge of the wing at 1/2 flaps.  The hot air flow "moved aft" the boundary layer in effect, increasing the laminar flow above it, since laminar tends to not interact with the boundary layer, but "glides" over.

Sort of like walking, vs walking on a moving sidewalk that is sliding over the same ground.
If you (laminar) walk 5mph, on the moving sidewalk that is going 10mph, (bleed air boundary layer), the net effect is you walking at 15MPH.

That BLC helped keep the boundary layer and the laminar layer from separating and "spoiling" the lift in low speed/high angle of attack (Alpha/AOA) attitude and created more lift and drag at lower speeds allowing for better takeoff and landing on carriers for Navy/Marine pilots, as well as greater load-outs in all services.

This nerdy interlude brought to you by someone who misses the "old times"...  :tongue3:

Thanks for the wordy refresher.  :notworthy: Had to read that twice just to remember the basics from my high school learning.  :tard: It's been a long time since those days.  :icon_tongue:  :read2:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.