Drivetrain > The Dual Quad

65 Dual quads on a 66

(1/5) > >>

GranSportSedan:
deleted

jmos4:
Hi,

Dual quads weren't offered from the factory, but many stories about dealer installed setups, or being shipped in the trunk.

With that said there is 2 cast iron manifolds, a 64 and one used in both 65 and 66.  64 had a different kickdown from what I understand.

I have a stick, so not sure the difference between kick downs for a st400 vs a st300, maybe some will chome in with more info.

Sounds like a good project

Cheers,

TrunkMonkey:
It will look good and proper. If you can get the correct 2x4 "big"

I have the 2x4 on my nailhead and while troubleshooting a "hunting/rough" idle, i pulled the 2x4 and put on a Quadrajet intake and carb, and with the Q-jet dialed in, it is like a different car.  It runs smooth and transitions correctly from idle though WOT, and all variations, as well as up and down shifting. (manual trans) But it just doesn't "spank it" like the duals.

The power difference is very noticable using my "Mk1 Mod2 Butt Dyno.

The 401 loves that 2x4 setup and I will be putting it back on after I make sure the surfaces that meet the heads are straight. (the heads are nice and flat and smooth, but I suspect the intake surface needs to be flat filed or machined.

Anyway, if you can locate the correct, large air filter housing, it will look "correct"  as it should (not purist, but period specific).

I elected to go with finned aluminum.  I have never been a "bling guy", and always preferred function over form and "go!" over "Show", but the nailhead is like a Barbie doll of engines and begs to be dressed up. 

If you go with the 2x4, tap the exhaust ports in the intake for the primary side of the rear carb and put in 1/8 NPT plugs.

(mocking up)

cwmcobra:
I have a driver quality dual quad air cleaner for a 65/66 nailhead.  PM if interested.

:cheers2:

Chuck

WkillGS:
Well, you're gonna have to paint that 65 manifold Buick red if you want to make it look right on a 66!

Manifold should end in '116' for a 65-66, ends in '106' for 1964.
66 carbs have different part numbers but I don't think there are any real differences other than tuning.
The linkage was changed sometime late 65/66.  The slider on the front carb was a solid block on the early ones and a u-shaped piece of metal on the later ones. Supposedly the early style was more prone to binding.
Here's a pic of the late style on eBay. I bought one today with the 15% off eBay code 'primosale' which is good for another hour.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Nailhead-Riviera-Wildcat-Grand-Sport401-425-1964-1966-Dual-Quad-linkage/132290416194?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Glad you bought a 66! Congrats! When do we get to see pics?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version