Author Topic: Gorgeous woody teardrop trailer with matching rowboat!  (Read 1595 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Now that's a TOUGH sell!! (Re: pretty "silver trailers" on eBay)
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »
Dear Tony and mid-60s Buick owners who like "going in style,"

Edouard  Those Airstreams are really cool, someone in my area has a really big Airstream that gets pulled by a GMC Suburban  4X4. We not the camping type, but i do like the style.

Big SUVs and pickup trucks have given a new lease on life to the large travel trailer.  Still back in the 1960s,  station wagons got call to tow these sorts of trailers.  As you can see from the other trailer in my posting, I'm trying to keep an open mind.  Still, I can't seem to convince myself to take seriously anything but an Airstream.  They have such beautiful lines that none of their rivals can really hold a candle too.

We not the camping type, but i do like the style.
If i came home with the woody wagon & the trailer my wife Karen would have no problem burying me in that casket mounted on the trailer   :argue: !!

. . . . Now that's what I would call an extremely tough sell !!! . . . .  :violent1: . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Another cute one on eBay. (Re: Gorgeous woody teardrop trailer)
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
Dear 65GS.com faithful,

I'm sure everyone is getting busy as the 4th approaches, but I'm sure we all can use a quick pick-me-up.  There is another teardrop trailer on eBay with some very nice carpentry:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Woody-Teardrop-Camper/303209226264

They managed to take a photo of it with a vintage truck in front:

I hope it brings at least a quick smile to your face!

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Gorgeous woody teardrop trailer with matching rowboat!
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2019, 09:17:13 PM »
   Hi Edouard& members, I'm just trying to play "catch up" I was not on much the month of June, very busy with the Kids and the local Buick Chapter. My 3 boys graduated from middle school and my Daughter graduated from HS so Karen & I have been busy at the schools helping out when needed, plus my local Buick Chapter had several events during June also.
    Looking at the truck & trailer reminded me of another vintage item that You or some of the other members may remember from  1964-65. On June 29th 20+ members from the Long Island Chapter BCA toured  Flushing Meadow park here in Queens NYC, This is where the 1964-65 NY Worlds Fair was held, (yes I was there) and there are still plenty of buildings and artifacts left to take up most of a beautiful clear dry Saturday. Before I left at 5:30PM  I took this photo to share with everyone that was there, or wished they were there way back in 64-65.   "Peace Thru Understanding" was the motto of the Fair. 

The Unisphere.   Tony

65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing! (Was: Gorgeous woody teardrop trailer)
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 03:25:35 PM »
Thanks Tony for sharing the story and the photo of the Unisphere!

You had a beautiful sky as a background!  The effect is beautiful!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
More trailer eye-candy . . . . (Re: Gorgeous . . . trailer)
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 06:05:22 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers with "glamping" aspirations.

On eBay right now are two really cute travel trailers.  The first is a 1952 Bost teardrop trailer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-teardrop-trailer-1952-Bost-teardrop-camper/143320644026

Here is a picture of it:

It had a frame off restoration in 2014 and is amazing!

The other is a 1967 Serro Scotty Sportsman with a new exterior "skin" of aluminum:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1967-SERRO-SCOTTY-SPORTSMAN-CANNED-HAM-RESKINNED-AND-RESTORED/254289163972

Here is a picture of that trailer:

I can't honestly say I would want to own either trailer, but I think you'all agree - they sure are cute!!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »
Looks like the "Predator" looking in on the first one LOL...

Mom, sis and I were at the '64 worlds fair. Sis had a chalk cameo portrait done and I did a spinning art thing with colored drops of paint spinning a spider web/ exploding star looking paint job. Took a long grueling train trip to NYC from Chicago on the NYC and did chinatown, empire state bldg, and the statue of liberty. Stayed at the Central Park West Hotel. Alas, all on slides! Next time the projector comes out Ill grab a ton of pics! Life was sooo simple back then! Even for the "then" generation.  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2019, 09:14:44 PM »
      Hi Edouard & Bill, Those trailers are cute but I do like the Airstreams. There is one here in my area hooked up to a 4 X 4 Dodge truck and it's never parked in the same spot, so I guess they use it on the weekends & holidays in the summer.
      I"m glad you had fond memories of the fair Bill, It was a big event for us baby boomers, Unfortunately the younger generations could not experience the wonder of it all. I was only 5 at the time, but it made such an impression on me.  I clearly remember the science & automotive related pavilions and credit those visits to my lifelong love of science and how things work. If you ever get those pic's please share them with us,  It's always good to look back at a simpler time in our life....

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Another from 1953! (Re: Teardrop trailer with matching rowboat!)
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 04:38:47 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who enjoy "eye candy,"

I came across this unusual specimen doing my usual eBay rounds, in this case the teardrop trailers category.  It is a 1953 Kompak Sportsman camper trailer:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Kompak-Sportsman-camper-trailer/284005966864

It is another trailer that stores a boat on the roof, but this one is made of fiberglass.  Here is a picture from the ad:

What it lacks in terms of classy woodwork, it certainly makes up for in practicality.  Honestly not my cup of tea, but it is cute in a homey kind of way.

Something to make you smile when you are finished working on your Buick for the day!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Another cute one! (Re: Gorgeous woody teardrop trailer)
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2021, 04:54:41 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who also appreciate fine woodwork,

There is another one of those really cute wood teardrop trailers on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEARDROP-5x8-WOODY-Sportsman-Camper-Trailer/164761165001

Here is an image from the listing:

Okay, the more I look at these things the more impractical they turn out to be.  Nonetheless, you've gotta admit - they sure are cute!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Airstream trailer for sale - really? (Re: . . . teardrop trailer)
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2022, 05:23:38 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who like pretty photos,

My search for a vintage travel trailer is mostly in window shopping mode, but of course eBay is tops when it comes to vintage window shopping.  Today I came across this ad for a 2005 Airstream trailer which it was claimed was remodeled in a vintage style.  Here is the link to the ad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394200317192

Now this isn't my cup of tea either, but this fellow seems more interested in showing off his photographic skills than selling his trailer.  Here is the first photo of the ad:

Here is a cute romantic scene of the trailer under snow:

Finally this photo of the trailer at either dusk or dawn is really striking:

Maybe the fellow should stop trying to sell his trailer and instead open up a professional photograph studio!  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2022, 07:38:05 AM »
Edouard, What is the one you picture beside you and behind the wagon?

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Actually, I'm even more greedy! (Re: teardrop trailer)
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2022, 01:27:20 PM »
Dear Good Dr. and mid-60s Buick caregivers with road-trip inclinations, . . . .

Edouard, What is the one you picture beside you and behind the wagon?

Actually, what I'm dreaming of would be bit bigger and a lot older.  What I like the best is the 24 foot Tradewind trailers from 1965 to 68 or so.  These trailers are light enough for my trusty wagon to tow and there are significant advantages to twin-axle trailers.  There is a beautifully restored 1967 Tradewind still for sale by Blueberry Hill classics:

https://blueberryhillclassics.com/1967-airstream-jet-set-judy

Here is a photo from the ad:

However as long as I am greedy, I would also look carefully into a modernized floor plan.  A lot of thought has gone into how you organize the space in these trailers since the mid-60s and my goal is to use the trailer - not preserve it as a museum piece.

However, for now I'm still window shopping.  The world of RVing has been dramatically changed by COVID and it is going to take a while for things to calm down once more.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2022, 05:37:44 AM »
I hear you.  Supply side issues have prices high and trailers scarce. I also think more people thought camping would be a good thing to try during COVID. We could get twice what we paid for our used RV right now, but then what would we take out there? We went to Shenandoah last year for a week and every site was filled all week.

There is a guy that modernized an older Airstream himself on line. He spent $53,000 (including $13,000 for the trailer) doing all the work himself and it took several years. There does not seem to be a cost effective way to own one of these. 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:24:23 PM by Dr Frankenbuick »

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
From Hagerty's: restoring a canned ham. (Re: Teardrop trailer)
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2022, 02:13:29 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers who daydream about road-trips,

The classic car press seems to be running short of material.  This morning Hagerty's ran this curious piece about a fellow restoring one of those tiny so-called "canned ham" travel trailers:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/michigan-mans-dilapidated-1956-little-gem-camper-is-restoration-possible/

It is mostly one of those "restorer's profile" pieces, but scanning through it might be worth a quick smile.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
1947 teardrop trailer eye-candy. (Re: teardrop trailer)
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2022, 03:35:26 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers with a itch for road trips,

Someone has done a decent job of refurbishing a 1947 teardrop trailer that's for sale on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125564338691

This trailer is made of aluminum panels like an Airstream trailer, so it has a very different look.  Nonetheless, this trailer looks vintage.  Here is a photo from the ad including a vintage car to complete the look:

Even if you have absolutely zero interest in such trailers, I think everyone can enjoy the eye-candy of looking at a bit of nostalgic automotive-related memorabilia.

Cheers, Edouard