Author Topic: Boxed Control Arms or Not?  (Read 904 times)

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
Re: Boxed Control Arms or Not?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 09:42:08 PM »
John,

Yes, Champagne Mist. Sahara Mist is a close cousin and does have more of a beige tint.
Ive never seen a star pattern headliner in a 65 Skylark, but were common in other GM cars.
SMS is the only supplier I could find that has the correct metallic silver headliner material in the
Tier pattern. They can make the headliner for you. Get extra material for sail panels and visors.

Mark

Thanks for the tip, Mark.  You have a beautiful GS, btw.  I'm not sure mine has the Tier pattern, but based on their examples, it definitely isn't the Star pattern shown there.  I'll get snaps of my sample as soon as I can and share them. 

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 10:08:49 PM »
Thanks All for the tips and info on the control arms.  I'll have to get them out and see how rough they are before deciding on a course of action. 

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 08:14:29 AM »
            I would recommend the boxed control arms and the sway bar I have a set in each of my 65s, it really improves the handling . The weld in kit is great just make sure you get the arms blasted or clean them real good to get a good clean surface to weld on to. Now I purchase new rear arms from OPGI about $ 200 for the set. It's worth it for me because before I had to weld in the plates, buy the bushings then find a shop that was willing to press them out and in, plus my time running around.
    When you put the sway bar in you will need shims. I have a set that I don't need, you can have them. just let me know and I will send them out to you.

Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline 9er3delta

• Crazy about Buick!
  • John
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
            I would recommend the boxed control arms and the sway bar I have a set in each of my 65s, it really improves the handling . The weld in kit is great just make sure you get the arms blasted or clean them real good to get a good clean surface to weld on to. Now I purchase new rear arms from OPGI about $ 200 for the set. It's worth it for me because before I had to weld in the plates, buy the bushings then find a shop that was willing to press them out and in, plus my time running around.
    When you put the sway bar in you will need shims. I have a set that I don't need, you can have them. just let me know and I will send them out to you.

Tony

Hi Tony!  Based on what we're finding underneath the car, I might be forced to purchase new control arms either way, if the frame and floor pan are any indication of what the control arms will look like when removed.  This car spent many years sitting in the center of an open corn crib on an (often) wet concrete floor, almost completely covered with rough sawn wood planks before I purchased it.  It has been high and dry since but the damage was done long ago.  I'll keep your offer in mind if I end up needing the shims.  Appreciate the offer!

John