Author Topic: Opinions on Jet-Hot coatings to lower engine bay temperatures?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
All it takes . . . . . (Re: Opinions on Jet-Hot coatings)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 09:28:41 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick owners who wish there was a bit more space under da' hood.

I've run headers virtually the entire time I'm had Ruthy. Love the sound. Hate everything else that comes with headers.

Honestly I'm not a big fan of the noise, but I do find the sound "extremely satisfying" when passing a biker who insists on being on the white line of the road instead of being in a generous bike lane provided for him (or her) . . . .

If I had the choice now, I would gladly ditch them for a nice exhaust that is tucked right up in the undercarriage, without leaks.

Headers or not, having a nice tight exhaust system is always within grasp . . . . . so long as you have enough of these! . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Opinions on Jet-Hot coatings to lower engine bay temperatures?
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 08:21:06 AM »
Hey gang, I'm glad this stirred up some great conversation. I'm amazed as to how polarizing the exhaust header debate is. Since the anti header sentiment  seems to be more prevalent I had to put in a plug for the pro header side Ok, let me start by saying they do not belong on a "stock' or properly restored car. That said, even mildly modified engines will benefit from headers. (Have you ever taken a really good look at the D/S exh manifold design or lack there of) I want to only speak to my experience because I'm sure there are plenty of bad header stories. I have never burnt up anything under the hood in over 20 years from the headers. The paint on the hood is fine despite not having the heat pads installed. I have the rubber 'flaps" over the control arms removed to allow extra air in and out of the engine compartment.  I've driven the car from northern NJ to Youngstown OH round trip 3 times (about 410 miles one way) with a passenger in the summer time with no complaints of excessive heat. We drove at or above the speed limit and only stopped for fuel. All three trips the car had different gear ratios. First 3.08, second 3.36, and third 3.55. (OK the last trip was a little noisy).

They are a little more maintenance than stock. You need to occasionally tighten the bolts, the collector flanges will eventually leak and need to be serviced, You have to build your exhaust systems. Other than the SS Flowmaster 2.5" exact fit tail pipes you are on your own. And as pointed out, they are worth the trouble if you race the car. Full disclosure I do enjoy racing mine. I've occasionally run them "uncorked' just for fun. A Nailhead with open headers is music to a Buick guy. 

Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm sure I won't change anyone's opinion, but I just wanted to add my story to the pile of header stories.

Thanks!!
Jerry

Jerry

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing. (Re: Opinions on Jet-Hot coatings)
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 09:28:35 AM »
Dear Jerry and mid-60s Buick owners with open minds, . . .

Hey gang, I'm glad this stirred up some great conversation. I'm amazed as to how polarizing the exhaust header debate is. Since the anti header sentiment  seems to be more prevalent I had to put in a plug for the pro header side . . . .   

Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm sure I won't change anyone's opinion, but I just wanted to add my story to the pile of header stories.

Thanks for sharing your point of view!  Buicks may be less popular, but there are enough of them out there that they can be decked out with either headers or manifolds.  After all, these are our Buicks, we should be able to have them our way!  :glasses9:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Thanks for sharing. (Re: Opinions on Jet-Hot coatings)
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »
Dear Jerry and mid-60s Buick owners with open minds, . . .

Thanks for sharing your point of view!  Buicks may be less popular, but there are enough of them out there that they can be decked out with either headers or manifolds.  After all, these are our Buicks, we should be able to have them our way!  :glasses9:

Couldn't agree more !

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2018, 01:18:50 PM »
Since the engine was done by T/A in the 1st. place isn't it HIS responsibility (warranty) to supply GOOD parts instead of proven inferior parts???? I'm going through this right now & it's MOSTLY been at my cost, time, etc.
Just sayin'.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 03:00:24 PM »
Tom,  This was originally JW at Tri-Shields work.  I followed it on V8 Buick and it became a hot mess there and for Edouard.  I can't speak for him, but I think he just wanted it out of his JW's hands. Sorry, if I misspoke in any way and that I brought you back there Edouard. I thought they were pretty bad to you there in general. I have done similar to you.  You don't have to give second chances. Sometimes it is just better to move on.       

Steve 

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 03:08:27 PM »
I know that Steve & read ALL the info previous & it was COMPLETELY REDONE by T/A.
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045

Offline Dr Frankenbuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 03:27:10 PM »
I think Mike will eventually make good on his part.  Tom, I thought you were unaware of where it was built in the"1st place." Ta was the 2nd place.  I am not sure what was left in from the original build. 

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear Tom, Steve, and mid-60 Buick owners who aren't into soap operas,

Since the engine was done by T/A in the 1st. place isn't it HIS responsibility (warranty) to supply GOOD parts instead of proven inferior parts???? I'm going through this right now & it's MOSTLY been at my cost, time, etc.
Just sayin'.

I know that Steve & read ALL the info previous & it was COMPLETELY REDONE by T/A.

No the engine wasn't completely redone by a long shot.  Most of the components including the Morel lifters came from the original build by JW.  Mike Tomaszewski did everything he could to keep the costs down because basically I was paying for a second rebuild.  So any component that seemed okay Mike put back.  The real tragedy of this exercise is that JW and the gang on V-8 Buick used this engine as an excuse to do some research and development on what modern engine components would do for a Buick big-block.  When Mike looked over the specs, this was a racing engine - not the conservative tow vehicle engine that I wanted JW to build for me.  Mike didn't simply put the engine back together.  He changed as many of the parameters as he could to get this engine to be more reasonable for the intended goal.  For example, the compression ratio went down from 10.2:1 to 9.65:1.  Still, Mike wasn't given a clean sheet of paper to design a big-block Buick engine specifically for towing.

The engine that came back from TA-Performance was much more civilized and upgrading the electronic fuel injection further tamed it so I could enjoy driving my wagon once more.  It is clear that the blemished Stage-2 head castings that JW bought from TA-Performance should never have been used on a engine intended for a customer.  Those heads finally started crumbling while at TA-Performance and they have been replaced with some quality castings.  Since Mike swapped the in Johnson lifters the ticking sound is gone.  I'm hoping that I might be finally coming to the end of this nightmare.

I'll be the first to admit I had some really idealistic hopes for this project, but after all, it was the wagon that I grew up in.  I really wanted to save this car in a big way.  I'm hopeful I'll eventually succeed, but there is no denying this sure has been the hard way.

Oh well,
. . . . . Edouard

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
My apologies to Mike & crew. Some of the explained stuff was unknown, or maybe better, unread by myself.

Again, my apologies. No bad thoughts intended.

Tom T.

C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045