Author Topic: Interior color: Gold  (Read 2860 times)

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Interior color: Gold
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 07:01:26 AM »
Thanks Walt.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Best to think long term. (Re: Interior color: Gold)
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 11:02:29 AM »
Dear Iain, Jim, Walt, and mid-60s Buick caregivers who are in for the long haul,

Years ago I had a guy do my dash pad, seats boxing, and rear armrests in the same color 'tan' vinyl. It looks great.
My door panels are original, except for the driver, which I did poorly in the same tan vinyl.

The reason I didn't order fronts is 1) you have to buy both 2) If I did, then I would have 3 different vinyls going on.

I have thought this one over many a time considering my options. I honestly cannot come up with a reasonable plan that I like. I am somewhat budget and time constrained.

My favorite plan has been to order the original fawn color from legendary (it does match well to the originals, though the originals are faded a bit) and do my best upholstery job on it. I would then have 2 vinyl colors but one would have to look closely to tell. Of course,  I don't have dielectric sealing equipment so I would sew to pleats. Possibly tuck n roll style.

Just to add one more thing, the front bench has seen some wear since it was done, and the substrate is toast. I really should have had it re-sprung. The guy used cloth pinpoint, he said it was original to an impala. I am not sure if that is truth.

so, what would you do?

You situation is basically universal.  All these cars have been changed over the years and we have limited resources.  Those resources include money, our FYI skills and time on task, and the overall time to complete the changes you are after.  In your case, you probably can afford to allow Ruthy to be "work in progress" for a quite a long time.

So perhaps you should try to decide where you ultimately want to end up with Ruthy and put up with the compromises as you work your way toward the final goal.  If you really want Ruthy to be very original, perhaps you should put up with the mismatched vinyls and replace what you can at this point and move on to replacing the rest eventually.

The other thing you keep in mind is exactly how original you want Ruthy to end up.  You've expressed interest in bucket seats and that is a very desirable upgrade.  Ultimately, it is really hard to stick to originality if you want to enjoy driving your car.  A friend of mine recently restored a 1957 Bel Air right down to the stock transmission.  However, not having an overdrive makes the car very unpleasant to drive on the freeway.  After having gone to so much trouble to get a stock transmission, he has ultimately concluded that enjoying the car is more important than originality.

So take a little time to decide what you want Ruthy to be like say 10 years from now.  You can then try to decide how you'll get there and how impatient you are to get any particular upgrade completed.

I hope that's some food for thought.

Cheers, Edouard

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 02:44:14 PM »
You could paint EVERYTHING. Then it ALL would match
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 08:06:12 PM »
Edouard, it won't be long now before I will have been on the 10 year plan, for 20 years!!  :BangHead:

doh!

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Par for this course! (Re: Interior color: Gold)
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 05:59:20 PM »
Dear Iain, mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Edouard, it won't be long now before I will have been on the 10 year plan, for 20 years!!  :BangHead:

The best laid plans of mice and classic car owners are . . . . . about equal!

Owning a classic car is always an adventure . . . . . . 

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2610.msg28875/topicseen.html#msg28875

Personally, I'm way over my excitement quota!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2018, 07:00:13 AM »

doh!

Been there, still doing it. LOL
At 58, I said I would have another one done.   Now at 64, I haven't got much more done.  Something always seems  to take the time or $$ in a different direction .

To most of us, it is a hobby, not an occupation .

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2018, 03:22:44 PM »
Interesting news folks:

I am glad I never changed the title of thread from gold. I ordered a vinyl sample kit from Year One. They have samples of each color for your year. It is Ivy Gold that is the match.
I have no idea why the code came up as fawn. I also think it would be highly unusual that the entire interior was changed at some point, though not impossible I suppose.
A yard of the vinyl is $40. So in order to keep from changing out everything, I might just order the yard for driver door and assemble it myself.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Surprising but true! (Re: Interior color: Gold)
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 09:46:16 PM »
Dear Iain and mid-60s Buick interior decorators,

I am glad I never changed the title of thread from gold. I ordered a vinyl sample kit from Year One. They have samples of each color for your year. It is Ivy Gold that is the match.

Definitely a surprise but that photo doesn't lie!

I have no idea why the code came up as fawn. I also think it would be highly unusual that the entire interior was changed at some point, though not impossible I suppose.
A yard of the vinyl is $40. So in order to keep from changing out everything, I might just order the yard for driver door and assemble it myself.

Not to mess up your karma or anything, but now that you know what color, could you ask Legendary to make what you need instead?  You'll have to wait for the 4th of July sale, but that might save you from more work than you would prefer to do.

It is da' usual problem, which tool to use? . . .  your wallet or da' rest of your tools! . . .  :laughing7:

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Out of the blue sale from Legendary. (Re: Interior color: Gold)
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners with an eye out for bargains,

Out of the blue, Legendary Auto Interiors is having another sale for this weekend only:

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/

It is on web orders only.  If you missed out on their 4th of July sale, now you have another chance.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 09:04:22 PM »
I ordered some of tha samples too since my interior is dove in the 66. I don?t see dove listed though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:11:05 PM by GS66 »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »
Experts on restorations...

My color is listed as Fawn, but not available at Legendary. Any idea why? Is it because it was a limited production and not worth it to them to sell?

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 11:32:17 AM »
Legendary does not lis Dove either which is what I need. Unless they call it something else for some reason.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
PUI ? (Re: Interior color: Gold)
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 04:13:45 PM »
Dear Iain, Jim, and mid-60s caregivers,

My color is listed as Fawn, but not available at Legendary. Any idea why? Is it because it was a limited production and not worth it to them to sell?

I've never heard of a interior color that was a limited production.  More likely companies make some marketing calls based on how likely a particular interior scheme is going to be popular among restorers.  Alas, you seem to be on the short end of that stick.  Not much hope but does PUI have it?

http://www.puiinteriors.com/

Offline Super65lark

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2019, 08:34:13 PM »
Looks like a No on the fawn color panels, from anyone that I can tell. I could actually stitch them myself, it wouldn't look original di-electric sealed though.
I might just go back to starting with the seats. I really don't want to change because I like the look of the original. I have always been worried about safety. Just last week I went for a cruise and a pickup swerved around me when I was stopped waiting for a left turn. Had I been rear-ended, I would probably be in the hospital.

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »
Why don't you call the diif. company's??? Give them your interior code & then have them send a sample.  So to say "let your fingers do the walkin'.

Tom T.
Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com