General Discussion > General Discussion

Winter Storage Tips

(1/3) > >>

Chris:
Would anyone like to share some winter storage tips?

I can start and tell you that I do the following:

1.  Run the car down on gas.

2.  Check the oil for any possible water.

3.  Check the antifreeze.

4.  Put a sock filled with moth balls in the interior to keep critters away.

5.  Use a car cover to protect the paint even though it's stored inside a building.

Who's next?

Chris

65gs76limited:
 :cheers2:

GSDavid:
3.  Check the antifreeze     This is number one to me.

Make sure it's clean.  Anything on there is going to do it's best to alter the car durring it's long winters sleep.  Bugs splattered will try and become one with the paint, dirt can draw moisture and help rust along, any chemicals from the road, well that just can't be good.
Gas additive like Stabil or Marvel mystery oil so that the gas is fine in the spring.

Mark Ascher:
I always fill the gas tank to the top. I've been storing my 66 Chevy this way for 23 winters now and have never had an issue. I also do all the other items on Chris' list, but haven't used mothballs. Keep any possible food source for mice far, far away! I found that out out the hard way.

Mark

Chris:
Maybe I shouldn't store my cars with those Cherry smelling Buick air fresheners that Dan Habel sold a couple years ago.    :laughing7:

While on the subject, I had to call Dan a couple of weeks ago to tell him that I seen one of those air fresheners hanging from the headlight switch of a 70's GS that went through the Mecum auction on TV.

Dan finally found his fame at last!

Keep the winter tips coming.. I'd like to take the best ones here and make a Winter Tip sticky for the years to follow.

Brrrrrrrr.. it's getting cold here!

Chris

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version