Author Topic: 65 GS convertible $12k  (Read 926 times)

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS convertible $12k
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
I can't believe that fabricating a story like that adds any value to the car. Just plain silly.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2017, 05:17:50 PM »
Know someone who looked at the car while the auction was active. The seller stuck with the story about it being his dads car. Was told the car was a bondo bomb and that the engine numbers didn't match the VIN tag. It was an LR code engine though and the paint was shiny.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
Know someone who looked at the car while the auction was active. The seller stuck with the story about it being his dads car. Was told the car was a bondo bomb and that the engine numbers didn't match the VIN tag. It was an LR code engine though and the paint was shiny.

Dan

Loose translation..... 12K too much?
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Hopefully whoever bought it is happy with it.

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »

Dan

Loose translation..... 12K too much?

2 2 much  :icon_biggrin:
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2017, 07:48:12 PM »
   One of our Registry members that lives near Boston went to look at the GS yesterday morning and he texted me saying that the GS had to many issues, he walked away from it.. I'm going to send him a email and ask him what the issues were.
                                                                                                             Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline JimL65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »

"Know someone who looked at the car while the auction was active.  Was told the car was a bondo bomb and that the engine numbers didn't match the VIN tag."

My car has bondo in the Quarters and the engine is a 401 from a 64 LaSabre or Wildcat?

But I still enjoy it!!!

JimL
1965 Buick Skylark Sport coupe (in loving memory of her)
1965 Gran Sport convertible (mine)

Motor Trend remarked that its 12.3 mpg in city driving was "not bad at all." and a lot of FUN!!!
"Fast with Class"

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2017, 09:24:39 PM »
   Thanks Jim, as long as you enjoy the Skylark and don't mind working on it that's the fun of it all. These Buicks are over 50 years old and most of them saw hard daily use before some quirk in its life kept it out of the scrapyard, every Skylark/Special has its story.
   For instance my Red GS sat in a PA scrapyard with a dead motor for many years until Steve Shuman rescued it had a 401 from a junked 66 wildcat installed, repaired the brakes, then put it in his garage and that's where it sat for many years until I purchased it. I can honestly say that the only thing on the GS that worked was the engine & tranny and nothing else, the body was full of rot and there were mice nests every place. Now 14 years later the issues are resolved and its coming together nicely almost ready for paint.
    it all depends on how much time/money you are willing to spend on the Buick.... Tony
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2017, 10:18:30 PM »
Most of the cars are not perfect, that's OK. I actually liked this car. The questions really seem to stem around what critical informational details that would be deemed important to the buyer were omitted from the "creative" description. Restoration as described, or "paint job"? Nothing wrong with bondo in an old car; but it should not come as a complete surprise to the buyer when the shipper drops it off.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
Jim you are absolutely right, if you are going to describe it, describe it honestly & always look at the vehicle in person before you buy !!!!

Tony

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
Whenever someone is describing a car in the third person narrative(basically printing what someone else had already described as  1 of 1426 or the description right out of the 1965 motor trend article) you know they are clueless about what they are talking about. What is the car worth? I am not sure we know without seeing better pics or seeing what it sold for. EBay means nothing until the buyer and seller agree to a "done deal". I don't see why all the "fabrication" was really necessary because the story never adds ten cents to a car usually unless it involves a paper trail. I do usually find it entertaining to read some of the ads,but the truth is that the car probably was not bought too bad if it is clean underneath. After all....it is one of 1426....lol.