Author Topic: Thanks Tony! A piece of Buick railroad history!  (Read 1475 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks Tony! A piece of Buick railroad history!
« on: March 20, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick owners with a passion for things Buick,

You may remember me ribbin' Iain that he now needs a model railroad layout to go along with his digital calipers.  Oddly enough, this prompted a PM from Tony reporting that he has a bit of Buick memorabilia that was searching for a good home with a suitable train nut.  The picture of my layout convinced Tony that I clearly was da' nut! . .   :tongue3:  At first I was a bit concerned.  My model railroad layout has a rural logging theme and not any old bit of railroad material would fit on it.  However, I patiently waited to see what was coming my way.

Yesterday a box arrived all the way from da' right coast to da' left coast where I live.  When I opened it up this is what a found!

What is this "Buick Railroad" you ask?  Buick's facilities in Flint Michigan were so large that Buick had it own rails between the various buildings.  Rails need to be serviced by locomotives, so yes indeed Buick had its own industrial railroad.  Of course it was tiny by any railroad standards, but still, it was probably more cost effective for Buick to accept blocks of freight cars and have their own crews switch them into position than to have larger railroads do all this switching for Buick.

Here is another picture of the hat taken on the other side of the logging camp on my layout:

According to Tony, there was a fellow who belonged to the Buick Club of America to was very keen at getting his hands on any sort of memorabilia related to Buick and one of those items was this hat.  This fellow sold to a member of the Long Island Buick Club of America (and friend of Tony) this hat along with vast collection of other Buick collectibles.  Tony's friend finally decided to head out west to avoid the harsh Atlantic seaboard winters.  At the time of his departure, Tony picked up quite a few useful items (like some choice Nailhead parts!)  A few years later, Tony's friend ended up unloading some more collectables and offered them to Tony for the price of shipping.  Included in that stash was this hat.  Here is one last view on top of my layout's roundhouse:

Tony has been looking for a suitable train nut to give this hat a good home and what do ya' know! - he found one!

Thanks Tony for thinking about me and taking the time and expense to ship it over to me.  As you can see the brim has suffered a bit over the years, but this sort of a thing is a keeper even if you really shouldn't wear it anymore.  After all, if I need a cap for my head - I've already got exactly the cap for the job!

Thanks again Tony and I hope everyone enjoyed a little slice of Buick trivia and nice story about a bit of Buick finding a good home!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:41:18 PM by elagache »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Thanks Tony! A piece of Buick railroad history!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 08:02:53 PM »

Now that is really cool. The hat and the back story information.. Had no idea that they had their own railway.

Thanks Tony and Edouard ,

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 08:50:00 PM »
X2!

Neat story and the hat is a real conversation piece.  Although, I'm still partial to the one that Biquette is wearing!!   :thumbsup:

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Psalm65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:29:49 AM »
Edouard,
Thanks for the story brother. :glasses9: . I too never knew this and appreciate the time you took telling us the story. I would wear that hat in that condition just because I'm a Buick guy. That white one is nice too. When guys get things for free it really speaks volumes of thier character. And when guys take time to think of another person like Tony did it also speaks volumes. I'm glad theirs still good people out thier.
Thanks for the pictures.
Ronnie

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 08:18:31 AM »
Edouard,
Thanks for the story brother. :glasses9: . I too never knew this and appreciate the time you took telling us the story. I would wear that hat in that condition just because I'm a Buick guy. That white one is nice too. When guys get things for free it really speaks volumes of thier character. And when guys take time to think of another person like Tony did it also speaks volumes. I'm glad theirs still good people out thier.
Thanks for the pictures.
Ronnie

We have a lot of great folks here in the 65GS.com. community !

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division