Author Topic: Post of pictures of your favorite long-roof wagon!  (Read 1947 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Buick's stout tow vehicles of 1965 . . . . (Re: Favorite long-roof wagon! )
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 11:09:49 AM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s Buick owners who are fans of "assertive" tow vehicles!

Yes, but the more important three letters are SRT, not SUV!   :thumbsup:

Only 475 HP and 425 ft/lbs, but almost as quick as the CTS-V.  4.4 second 0-60, 12.9 second quarter mile.  But here's the kicker....8700 lb GVW towing capacity.

. . .  Ya' mean it can do 0-60 in 4.4 seconds when fully loaded with a 8700 lb GVW towing capacity! . . . . .

8700 lb GVW towing capacity.  Very nice for towing a 65 GS in an enclosed trailer!

You might be surprised to learn that Buick rated the 1965 Sportwagon to tow a class 3 trailer (3500-5000 lbs GTW) even if it was only available with the 300 cid V-8.  The catch was that they specified a 3.90:1 rear end for that sort of service.  Driving a Sportwagon on the freeway without an overdrive must have been very loud and frustrating even without a trailer.

Still, if you are willing to upgrade your drive-train, it is certainly possible to haul around your 1965 GS using a 1965 Buick wagon.  Arthur Throckmorton upgraded a 1965 Buick Special wagon with a 455 Buick big-block and used it to haul his 1968 GS from Nevada to the Grand Nationals in Tennessee and back.  He even put up a photo album of his "adventures."

https://gmcguy.shutterfly.com/pictures/622

My trusty wagon "restro-mod" was very much an attempt to replicate the success that Arthur achieved, while carefully upgrading the systems that gave Arthur trouble on his epic journey.

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Post of pictures of your favorite long-roof wagon!
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »
Full Size:

Special Size:

Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Let me guess . . . .(Re: Favorite long-roof wagon!)
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:20 PM »
Dear Ted and mid-60s Buick "long-roof" fans,

Full Size:

Let me guess - a 1964 Buick Estate wagon?  There is a nice write-up on one in the October 2017 issue of the Buick Bugle.

Special Size:

. . . . No fair! . . . My Buick Special wagon didn't come with a hood scoop! . . . . 

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 08:59:44 AM »
There were 2 64 Estate Wagons in Brookfield, both restified with Super WIldcat engines...
This one was born with Super Wildcat and 4- note horns.  "just needs paint"  :headbang:
Don't worry, for the Special I saved the V6, dog dish wheels and flat hood to put it back stock someday  :idea1:
T
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 05:31:48 PM »
Ted, I wouldn?t change that red one at all, it looks great! Well, maybe I would change one thing? put my name on the title.😀😀
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Lurn' me on this one . . . (Re: Favorite long-roof wagon! )
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 09:32:25 PM »
Dear Ted, Jim, and mid-60s Buick long-roof with nailheads fans,

There were 2 64 Estate Wagons in Brookfield, both restified with Super WIldcat engines...

Huh?    I thought the 1964 estate wagon at least could come with the nailhead as an factory option.  The reason the 1964 estate wagon caught my eye in the October Buick Bugle magazine is that it was bought to tow an . . . . . Airstream travel trailer! . . .  :love4:

So what do you mean "restified with Super WIldcat engines"  :icon_scratch:

Don't worry, for the Special I saved the V6, dog dish wheels and flat hood to put it back stock someday  :idea1:

. . . So when you go back to the V-6 and the flat hood, can I take your air scoop hood to put on my wagon!? . . .

Actually no nead.  I have already started to "scheme" about hood scoops for my trusty wagon.   Alas it is so much easier to come up with an idea then to to come up with an implementation that will actually work.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 05:57:02 AM »
"Translation":  Restored with Super Wildcat engines.  The Super Wildcat is a 425 nailhead with dual quads and a bit more spark advance.  And dress up items like the cast aluminum script "Buick" valve covers and chrome "Super Wildcat" air cleaner.  Just little more "go" to help tow that Airstream!

A great weekend to all!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
I see - a darn GOOD idea! (Re: Favorite long-roof wagon! )
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »
Dear Chuck and mid-60s Buick fans of "long-roofs" with get up and go!

"Translation":  Restored with Super Wildcat engines.  The Super Wildcat is a 425 nailhead with dual quads and a bit more spark advance.  And dress up items like the cast aluminum script "Buick" valve covers and chrome "Super Wildcat" air cleaner. 

I see!   Sounds like a darn good idea for any wagon that might be pulling an Airstream

Just little more "go" to help tow that Airstream!

Definitely an idea that is also close to my heart!

A great weekend to all!

. . . . Oh yeah!  Well same to feller! . . . . 

Offline Buick_65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 03:03:56 PM »
I had this exact car with a white top in high school.  I pulled out in front of a lady and totaled it.  I miss it a lot.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Really want a 2-door wagon? (Re: Favorite long-roof wagon! )
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 05:59:07 PM »
Dear Buick_65 and mid-60s Buick "long-roof" fans,

I had this exact car with a white top in high school.  I pulled out in front of a lady and totaled it.  I miss it a lot.

Awe shucks!  Just because you want a 2-door wagon doesn't mean you have to stoop to a Chebby name-plate.  Instead why don't you get one of these!

https://bangshift.com/bangshift1320/someone-hand-built-two-door-1965-buick-sportwagon-hard-top-now-can-buy/

There are at least 2 of these hand-built 2-door Buick Sportwagons out there.  This one has the small-block chevy drive train.  The other one has the turbo V-6 from a Buick Grand National.  They do come up for sale from time to time, but the builders never seem to find a buyer willing to give them what the builders want.

At least looking is free!