Author Topic: Dusty is back  (Read 402 times)

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
Dusty is back
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »
Seems a faulty alternator was causing the dead batteries.  New battery, and new alternator and he is feeling summer fresh. He wanted to come to work with me. So happy to have him back.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Good for you! (Re: Dusty is back)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 11:10:39 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick owners who's cars are members of the family,

Seems a faulty alternator was causing the dead batteries.

Hmm interesting . . . . I'm not sure how that explains the symptoms but as long as Dusty is back to normal that's what counts!

New battery, and new alternator and he is feeling summer fresh.

Glad it was a simple repair and that you are able to enjoy Dusty once more!

He wanted to come to work with me. So happy to have him back.

Thanks for the picture!  I'm sure there will be plenty of mid-60s Buick photos from the Buick Club of America convention, but in the meantime, the forum is a little short of pics of our favorite cars!

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Dusty is back
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 02:15:51 PM »
Most likely a bad diode in the alternator. Which will drain a battery will sitting.  I would think the warning light on the dash would have had a dull glow, almost um-noticeable.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »
Good to hear this! :hello2:
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Okay, I didn't know that! (Re: Dusty is back)
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:49:33 PM »
Dear Loren, Jim, and mid-60s Buick electricians,

Most likely a bad diode in the alternator. Which will drain a battery will sitting.  I would think the warning light on the dash would have had a dull glow, almost um-noticeable.

Okay, that was the missing piece I was looking for.  I didn't know a bad diode could drain the battery while sitting.  I'll definitely add this to my list of electrical troubleshooting facts!

Thanks!  Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »
Good to hear Dusty is rompin' around again!!  Have some fun with him this weekend!

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
Good to hear Dusty is rompin' around again!!  Have some fun with him this weekend!

Chuck
I did, the technician gave him a prescription of running highway miles for a bit, to get him unrusty.  Then some young kids in their Hondas try to make noise next to him. I let him roar, and the kittens went home.[emoji1]

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 05:47:32 PM »

Loren
My dash is very foggy, I might had not noticed it, if that was the case. I'm not used to my warning lights being on my left hand side so tiny.[emoji22]

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 07:51:46 PM »
Dusty went to a popular hang out in Austin Tx. Food Truck plaza.  I love that others ask about him.

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 08:14:56 PM »
Cruising our home town.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 08:22:13 PM »

Chuck
I did, the technician gave him a prescription of running highway miles for a bit, to get him unrusty.  Then some young kids in their Hondas try to make noise next to him. I let him roar, and the kittens went home.[emoji1]

An excellent prescription from your doctor.  Always fun to show those kids a thing or two!

:thumbsup:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
What's Dusty's favorite meal! (Re: Dusty is back)
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 09:35:34 PM »
Dear Barb, Chuck, and mid-60s Buick owners who's cars are members of the family,

Dusty went to a popular hang out in Austin Tx. Food Truck plaza. 

. . . . So what is Dusty's favorite meal at the Food Truck plaza?!! . . .  :overthetop:

I love that others ask about him.

I think you'll find that the best part of driving a classic Buick is the number of "smiles" you get per mile!

Cruising our home town.

. . . . Be careful!  You sure don't want Dusty embroiled in any Texas politics!! . . . . . 

Glad that you are having lots of fun driving Dusty!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

P.S. Thanks for sharing da' pics!  They scratch my itch!

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »
Dusty was enjoying classic rock and roll, me I went for a Cuban torta..  No politics are spoken in front of Dusty.  A fine Gent keep trying to speak to me while driving. He was loving on my Buick. I was not driving, the hubs was.  If you enlarge the pic of the museum you see my hubs cheesy smile.   Your girl will be back soon. Then I can see pics of Cali.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
What device are you using to take your pictures? (Re: Dusty is back)
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 09:31:29 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick connoisseurs,

Dusty was enjoying classic rock and roll, me I went for a Cuban torta.. 

Sounds like an excellent choice!

No politics are spoken in front of Dusty.  A fine Gent keep trying to speak to me while driving. He was loving on my Buick. I was not driving, the hubs was.  If you enlarge the pic of the museum you see my hubs cheesy smile.   

Are you using your smart phone to take these photos?  You really did a wonderful job lining up Dusty with the capital building and the museum.  These days anybody really can take wonderful pictures with devices we need to have with us all the time.  Very nice!  :icon_thumright:

Your girl will be back soon. Then I can see pics of Cali.

Well it is still going to be a bit of wait.  Mike Tomaszewski called me last week and told me that he is having trouble getting one of the head castings to seal.  After two attempts to impregnate the head castings with epoxy resin, one actually is leaking more than before.  Mike has one more trick up his sleeve, but if that doesn't work, Biquette's engine might have to get replacement cylinder heads.

Cheers, Edouard 

Offline Barb69

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
Dear Barb and mid-60s Buick connoisseurs,

Dusty was enjoying classic rock and roll, me I went for a Cuban torta.. 

Sounds like an excellent choice!

No politics are spoken in front of Dusty.  A fine Gent keep trying to speak to me while driving. He was loving on my Buick. I was not driving, the hubs was.  If you enlarge the pic of the museum you see my hubs cheesy smile.   

Are you using your smart phone to take these photos?  You really did a wonderful job lining up Dusty with the capital building and the museum.  These days anybody really can take wonderful pictures with devices we need to have with us all the time.  Very nice!  :icon_thumright:

Your girl will be back soon. Then I can see pics of Cali.

Well it is still going to be a bit of wait.  Mike Tomaszewski called me last week and told me that he is having trouble getting one of the head castings to seal.  After two attempts to impregnate the head castings with epoxy resin, one actually is leaking more than before.  Mike has one more trick up his sleeve, but if that doesn't work, Biquette's engine might have to get replacement cylinder heads.

Cheers, Edouard
Oh my, winter holiday pics? ?  My hope is for a fast recovery.