Author Topic: Pressure washer vs steam cleaner vs dustless sandblasting  (Read 280 times)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
Pressure washer vs steam cleaner vs dustless sandblasting
« on: June 08, 2017, 02:17:26 PM »
Looking to clean and possibly strip some of the paint and grime from the body and frame. Dustless sandblasting will cost $1000.
Anyone have experience with pressure washing and/or steam cleaning? Probably cheaper to rent, but will it work? Probably need 3000 psi?
-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Dear George and mid-60s Buick restorers,

Nice to have you posting again! 

Looking to clean and possibly strip some of the paint and grime from the body and frame. Dustless sandblasting will cost $1000.
Anyone have experience with pressure washing and/or steam cleaning? Probably cheaper to rent, but will it work? Probably need 3000 psi?

All I know is very much second-hand, but as far as I know both steam and pressure washing will do a good job of removing grime and dirt.  It will remove any loose paint flakes and any loose rust.  However if you want to remove undamaged paint, neither will do that for you.

What's your plan for the frame?  Are you thinking of exposing any rust and trying something like POR 15, or do you want to completely repaint it?

Cheers, Edouard

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!

Nice to have you posting again! 

All I know is very much second-hand, but as far as I know both steam and pressure washing will do a good job of removing grime and dirt.  It will remove any loose paint flakes and any loose rust.  However if you want to remove undamaged paint, neither will do that for you.

What's your plan for the frame?  Are you thinking of exposing any rust and trying something like POR 15, or do you want to completely repaint it?

Cheers, Edouard

I first want to tackle the body, since I believe it will cost me more. I did see some 4000 PSI pressure washers in videos that actually remove paint. Not sure if this is possible with mine, however, I think it may be worth a try. I was also thinking of spraying some of the body areas like the jambs with that orange goop and then pressure washing it. Whatever that orange stuff is, it removes paint pretty well.

-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon

I first want to tackle the body, since I believe it will cost me more. I did see some 4000 PSI pressure washers in videos that actually remove paint. Not sure if this is possible with mine, however, I think it may be worth a try.

I think you need to ask yourself how nice a paint job you want for this car.  If you want to patch it up and make it usable (but not pretty,) indeed the pressure washer might be good enough.  Unfortunately, I think we all know that the exterior paint-job is what makes or breaks the appearance of the car.  If you want a decent paint-job, you'll really need to strip the paint down.  If you don't, the finish will look uneven.

The other thing to keep in mind is that your time is worth something in the exercise.  If you try pressure washing and still have to switch to dustless blasting, that is wasted time when I assume you are like all of us and never have enough time!

I'm definitely no expert on these sorts of things but some issues to ponder.

Cheers, Edouard 

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Pressure washer vs steam cleaner vs dustless sandblasting
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:48:48 AM »
You can use liquid or gel paint stripper, but I wouldn't power wash it off.... it'll leave a mess all over your driveway. Apply it, let it soften the paint, then scrape it off onto some newspaper, then throw it into the trash.
The stripper is caustic and will burn your skin (or eyes!) if it's on you for any length of time. Use it properly.
You'll still have to sand any remaining paint off. Do you have an air compressor and a sander?

For items like the frame and suspension components, drop them off at a place that does sandblasting. Should only cost a few hundred bucks.
Having them powdercoated would be a higher cost way to finish them, or paint them yourself if you don't mind spending the time.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal