Author Topic: Car is nowhere near finished, and I'm thinking of selling...  (Read 382 times)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
 :crybaby2:

The main reason, is to make room for some more motorcycles, and, it's getting really expensive to get all this work done. Seems like I may have bit off more than I can chew!
I guess the biggest problem would be finding someone that would actually buy an unfinished car. I'm sure I would have to sell it at a considerable loss. Well, I'm just venting and thinking out loud. Looked into the cost of getting the body and frame media blasted and from some of the stuff I have seen it will be close to $1,000! That's way more than I can afford. I guess I could always part it out, that would probably take a while too. It's almost complete, just needs a front bench or bucket seats.

-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Soul searching time (Re: I'm thinking of selling... )
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 10:01:35 PM »
Dear George and mid-60s Buick lovers with a way too many things to do,

I understand your predicament but can't offer you much in the way of solace.  You have put a ton of hours into this car and there is no way you are going to recover your efforts in what would be little more than a "fire sale."  Still, if you life plans change, maybe that's the best way to make lemonade out of the lemon you've got.

Sorry, I hung on to my Buick, so I'm not going to be much help.

Oh well,
. . . . Edouard

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Car is nowhere near finished, and I'm thinking of selling...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 08:01:25 AM »
George,

I understand your concern.  I think most of us have had second thoughts at some point in our restorations when we think about costs and effort.  Now that you've slept on it, are you still of the same mind?

What are your restoration objectives?  Last I saw, I believe you had the body off the frame.  If you're planning to pursue that approach, you will realistically be looking at a pretty intensive investment.  Not sure how much body work you plan to do yourself, but the $1000 for media blasting (I think mine was about $1500 for body and all other panels (doors, trunk, hood, fenders, etc.) is only the beginning of the expense.  And, of course, unless you have a sentimental attachment to the car or just want to do the project without considering cost, you need to think about what the car will be worth when finished vs. your investment in restoring it. 

I'm not trying to discourage you, but if cost is a big issue, I understand why you have difficult decisions at this point.  Your ability to sell the whole car as a project is dependent on the popularity of that particular model.  And, as we all know, the 65 Buicks seem to be undervalued on the market.  So your option to part your car out might be a good one if you decide to let it go.  It does take time though, as you've said.

I wish you the best of luck and wisdom as you approach these difficult decisions!   :icon_scratch:

Best regards,

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 09:32:06 AM »
George, tell us more about the condition of the car.  It desirability and your ease of selling it depend on some important factors:
1. How much rust repair needs to be done on it
2. Is the engine complete and runnable
3. Which transmission does it have--auto, 3 sp manual, 4 sp manual?
4. What options does it have--PS, PB, AC, PW, tilt etc?
5. What are the paint and interior colors?
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
George, tell us more about the condition of the car.  It desirability and your ease of selling it depend on some important factors:
1. How much rust repair needs to be done on it
2. Is the engine complete and runnable

Here's a quick run-down...
1. How much rust repair needs to be done on it?
The trunk pan and floor pans are new, still some rust at the back, a few other areas.
2. Is the engine complete and runnable?
Engine/trans is there, needs rebuilt.
Automatic
It's a Special base model, no PS, no PB, no AC, no PW, no tilt
Exterior red, interior black.

Thanks.
-George