Author Topic: Restoring my Rusty 65 4spd convert from start (and hopefully) to finish  (Read 15526 times)

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Restoring my Rusty 65 4spd convert from start (and hopefully) to finish
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
Thanks guys.   Progress has been o.k.  (and right on budget too  :overthetop:).   Everything seems to take a little longer than expected but my absolute target is to drive this car to Ames.  I am pretty sure that the first version will have some new incorrect parts to be replaced later but I figure if the frame, engine, body, tranny, and interior are done correct up front i can work on the smaller details as parts and cash become available.

John-  Your prediction about the roof in the box was dead on.  We pulled it out and it was wrinkled so bad it was not worth saving.  It also had no rear window.  My sense is that the original buyer had been in the middle of a restoration and just gave up.  The top never came out of the box.  I ordered a new one with the vinyl rear window but I have been waiting for it for three weeks and am told it will be another two weeks before it arrives.

I am Suppose to pick up another load of chrome in the next week or so. 

If anybody needs a decent true 65 gs frame, any front fenders, or a variety of other little things they should let me know.  I will get serious about selling this stuff later and post it on one of the sites  but i would rather it would go to one of you guys.   Rob K
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Restoring my Rusty 65 4spd convert from start (and hopefully) to finish
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »
Rob,

I talked to Mr. Bonin last week. Let me know when you head up, I'd like to tag along.
I have some stuff to pick up/drop off.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
Not much further to go on the body for my body man.  This photo is a couple of weeks old and the front seats are in.   Once the chrome is done this will be very close.  Door panels are waiting for armrest base re-chroming and exterior handles.   Lots of little parts needed at this stage.  I have found the dipstick, alternator brackets, armrest and a million other things but would be curious to know if anyone knows the part number (or better yet a source) for the fuel line bracket located at the front of the engine intended to keep the fuel line out of the fan.  Any help on that topic appreciated.

Engine is in.  Rebuild shop took nearly exactly a year.  We still have not fired it up but that day is getting closer. I am a little nervous about the radiator I have.  It's correct, but pretty beat up.   Thinking about a brand new one so that I don't end up on the side of the road on my way to Ames.  Any suggestions on that topic appreciated.
Rob

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Rob,

Your convertible is coming together beautifully. Can't wait to see it in Ames.

Those fuel line brackets are not available in the aftermarket as far as I know. Best bet is a salvage yard. Perhaps someone here on this forum has a couple of extras. Otherwise, you can make do with those hardware store rubber insulated clamps.

I'd definitely recommend either a new radiator or re-coring the old one. The cost will be about the same. Year One or Original Parts group might have one for a '65 GS. Just make sure that they have the cross flow radiator and not the down flow style. Also make sure they have the correct style for  a Non Air Cond. verses Air Cond. GS.  AC cars have a different top inlet tube (90 degree turn). Whereas the top inlet tube on a non AC car comes straight out.

Good luck going down the home stretch.

John Egel

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Looking forward to seeing you in Ames.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Someone posted on here last week that he is going to reproduce the brackets holding the grille emblem in the grille--maybe he can be talked into making the two loops for the fuel line that goe on the bottom front of the engine--they should actually be easier to reproduce than the grille emblem brackets.
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
My wheels are now "argent" though it is tough to tell in the photos.  Car turned over today.   Still waiting for some chrome/aluminium  parts (taillights, clampdown for roof, ornament, and a few other parts).   I'll need those taillights to get to Ames.  Car will need a few things in the years to come for total correctness, including drive shaft, Shifter boot, fuel pump, and a few other things.  But the car is really close.  It has been a year long treasure hunt for me. 

As soon as taillights are done I'll get my first test drive.  In the past 14 months I have owned a 65 skylark and two Gs's but I have never driven one.  By the way:  How do these things drive?

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
Rob, you might want to pick-up a few extra tires for the rear wheels! :laughing7: You have power steering and power brakes right ? and low effort clutch! A stock gs with out these can be a bear to drive! if you are running a 3.36 or more rear gear you will pull some rpm's at highway speeds with the nailhead! But the take off power is great! and the LOOK! :headbang: Jon

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Rob,

Looking good!!! I can't wait to see it in person and also to meet you in Ames. You are going to have one fun drive from Minneapolis to Ames. Bring plenty of gas money. I hope that the rest of you parts show up in time. If not, let us know and we can come up with a plan "B" for you.

John Egel

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
power drum brakes:  Check     Power steering:  Check (original to car).    Low effort clutch:  Uh oh. 
Since my car has no positraction I figured I will go through a number of tires over time.  Luckily my spare

Still pushing for my chrome parts.  hopefully it wont be an issue.

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
Finally have most of my chrome back.   Car should be ready for Ames.  One question:  Does anyone have a source/name/ or color for the gray paint used to paint the inner part of the tail light assembly? 

Car is running.  I've decided to replace the radiator that i bought on ebay with a new one.  The ebay one was not as represented.  I figure it's better to have a functioning radiator for the drive to Ames than a correct one that appears to be leaky.   The correct one will go back in after re-coring.

Thanks

Rob keena 

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Rob,

Glad to hear that you've got your chrome pieces back. For the taillight's inner trim, I used aluminum spray from a rattle can.  For the black band near the outside edge, I'd suggest a semi glossy black. The same black should also be used in the center emblem's background. Be very careful when installing the center emblem so as not to break off the top or bottom tabs.

Looking forward to meeting you and seeing your convertible in Ames.

John Egel

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
I have been having a good time driving my car lately.  Over 1000 miles since it got on the road (including the trip to Ames).  I have run into a few small problem but nothing major yet.  Leaks are taken care of, sparks plugs switched, adjustments to carb, etc.  I am on the road so much I am an ambassador for the 65 gs.  I have run into two 65gs owners who I directed here, one with a 4spd convert like mine.  He said Loren had worked on his car.

Been working and driving so much for the last three weeks I haven't had time to thank all you guys for all of your contributions to help get me on the road.  Mark has helped me with a ton of parts, advice and connections.  Thanks Mark.  Walt gave me the decode on my plate when I first got the car to help me confirm 4spd was correct. Al set me up with much needed arm rests, John helped me with the color and an extremely helpful list to get the car just right (i am working on it), Loren offered great advice on more than one topic, Chris set me up with my backup lights, Brian with the driveshaft (would have been hard to drive without it),    and .............  (Mark, don't read this part),....... Jon found the much needed afb 3922 for me.  I am forgetting someone but you guys are the best.     Rob K   :cheers2:

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Rob,
It was a great pleasure to finally meet you in person and enjoyed your company at Ames.
Look forward to other events with you and the other fine GS owners.
BTW, your car looks terrific, even without the beer bribes. :occasion14:
Loren 
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Rob,

It was ideed a pleasure to meet you and Jay in Ames at the BCA Nationals. I'm glad that you also had the chance to meet Loren, Jon, Al Jones, Roger and me. Of course, you already had met Mark. You and your GS 4-speed convertible are and will be great ambassadors for our group of '65 GS fanatics. You are welcome for any help that we/ I have been during  your restoration process. I would hope that you will pay it forward to others you meet in the future. We are a small tight group who know and appreciate what we have in friendship as well as our passion for the '65 GS.

See you later,
John Egel