Author Topic: Restoring my Rusty 65 4spd convert from start (and hopefully) to finish  (Read 15328 times)

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Restoring my Rusty 65 4spd convert from start (and hopefully) to finish
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 12:36:28 AM »
Thanks again Chris.

I had not seen that page with the colors.  I think the more muted mix might actually be the correct one.  That's really helpful. 

I'll shoot a couple of photos with the various mixes next week if they are still available.  The photos i posted today are actually a couple of weeks old.  My body man is actually further along.  The tail light crud has been cleaned up and most of the  firewall has been repaired or replaced with the GS wall.  My GS had, not only floor rot, but rot that extended upward on the driver side firewall near the door and there was a hole on the passenger side as well.  As the photos i will post next week show, it's all done but needs to be painted.   The front of the skylark body had problems of it's own so the swap worked well.  Plus my GS winshield was perfect.  Firewall will be painted along with the underside next week.  Photos to come of that along with my wheels.

I was lucky enough to see Mark Ascher's car yesterday.  Wow.  He has set a real standard.

Rob
65 Gran Sport Convertible 4 Speed

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2009, 08:45:31 AM »
It's coming along nicely Rob! You're lucky to have found a good metalman.
I have 2 66's in Flame Red. Both were repainted. But door jambs, and underside of trunk lids are still original paint.
The original hue is on the dark side with a slight purple hue. On the Special, I used PPG base/clear. Closest match was a 90's Ford truck stripe red.
It's difficult to get a picture that shows the correct hue. Both repaints are a little off. The GS is brighter with a slight orange hue, and the Special is close but darker and a wee bit too much purple compared to the original.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2009, 11:04:06 AM »
Rob,

Your convertible is looking good. Looks like you may have it ready for next summer. Your convertible and Mark A. hardtop will look good cruising at "Back to the Fifties".

To make sure that my Flame Red convertible had the exact color of red as the original paint, this is what I did.  I took the door to an auto paint store where they computer scanned a section from the inside where the paint had not faded. They mixed up a quart for me which I painted a scrap piece of metal, I then compared to the original paint. I sent the formula to my body and paint guy. I went with a PPG base coat formula then clear coat. My paint guy called me to ask if I was REALLY SURE that this is the red that I wanted. Apparently the lights in their paint booth made the paint look like a brownish dull red.  It wasn't until they rolled it out into the sunlight that they could see the true dark deep red color. My convertible was assembled in Kansas City. It's quite possible that paint colors may vary slightly between the different assembly plants.

If you'd like, I can send you a paint swatch along with the PPG formula for your consideration. I will be in the Twin Cities over the Christmas holidays. Perhaps Mark A., you and I could get together for some '65 GS car talk over an adult beverage.

John Egel
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 11:05:56 AM by nut465gs »

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »
The 65 looks Great John! :headbang:
Here's my '66 Special, shot with PPG #71528. Apparently, this color is also correct for a 68 Cougar, Code 'T' Cardinal Red. Paint shop said it was the closest available match to the original Buick color.
Color looks similar to Johns car. But mine is definitely a tad more purple than my unpainted doorjambs.
John, I'd appreciate a copy of the formula as well. No rush. My 66 GS needs fresh paint one of these years...
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2009, 04:53:45 PM »
Walt,

Do you know what this difference is between the 65 & 66 Flame Red?

The 65 makes the paint look better!   :overthetop:

Sorry buddy... I couldn't resist!

I hope no one else is reading this (what's the chances?) but I really like your 66 in Flame Red.    :icon_thumright:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2009, 06:54:33 PM »
KA- ZING!!!!
Still it does look good for a ....'66.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2009, 11:23:14 AM »
Rob, I have a section of door jamb from an original flame red 65 that could be scanned.

John, I'd love to have you over if your in town. I'll provide the refreshments.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2009, 11:59:10 AM »
Walt,

Thanks for the compliment.  Your '66 Special is sweet. I'm sure that Erin would love to go for a ride in it someday.  :love4: The '66's are my second favorite Buick musclecar. How did a Special manage to get into your stable of GSs?

Here's the formula that was used for my convertible.  Bear in mind that this formula is what my paint shop came up with to match my original paint. I have compared it with my Dealer Showroom Color and Trim Book and the '65 Buick Color pamphlet. It seems to be a perfect match. This is what was used to make a quart formula. They then filled some aerosol spray cans for me to test for color match.

Quart formula:

DMD 670 - 190.6
DMD 647 - 210.6
DMD 652 - 211.2
DMD 671 - 217.1
DMD 622 - 298.2
DMD 617 - 585.7
DBX - 695 - 1096.6

If you'd like me to send you a painted metal swatch, send me an email with your address. I'd like to also know how this compares to the '66 Buick Flame Red.

Mark and Rob, my wife has just reminded me of a change in plans. We will be in the Twin Cities the weekend after Thanksgiving, not Christmas as I stated earlier. I will bring samples of my favorite Kansas City micro brew, Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat.  :occasion14:

John

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for the offer on the door jamb.   My hood and trunk are still not primered so I have them.  same with the inside of my door.  My doors, trunk lid, and hood from my GS convertare going back on to the finished product. I was mainly concerned because GM lists three different mixes for Flame red and I'd hate to be way off.  Two bright tones and one a little more muted with almost a touch of brown or maroon.  The cars I see on the Internet however which they call flame red seemed bright as heck.  We mixed up all three and painted them on my car on the interior of the door.  Two were so bright they weren't even close.  One (the muted once) seemed pretty close.  It's hard to tell after 44 years of aging on the car.

I am going to bring John's mix to the shop to see how it compares (thanks John).  I'll let you know what happens. I'd love to join you guys the weekend after thanksgiving but i will be out of state at my in-laws.  (I'd rather be hanging around and talking about cars).
Rob

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2009, 09:56:19 AM »
Walt and Robk,

Painted metal swatches from the previously mentioned formula are in the mail to you both. Let us know how it compares to your original paint.

John

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »
Body has been blocked over and over again so it's on to the frame.  My friend mixed formulas for flame red until a match to the inner door was found.   Transmission is done and motor is nearly done.  Just saw a NOS headlight bezel on ebay the day after i bought a slightly pitted one for nearly the same price.  Frame is blasted.

One question:  I have a new in-the-box roof which came with my parts car.  It has the plastic rear window which is more like original.  I have seen on ebay a convertible top for this car with a glass rear window which I have been thinking about buying.  Over the years I have had converts with plastic rear windows and they seem to lose their clarity fast.  Any thoughts about going with the glass rear window?  My car will have a few other non-correct parts like a 3922 carb, new radiator,  brake components, etc.

Thanks Rob K

Offline Robk

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
I feel like the "flame red" came out pretty close.   The body work is pretty much done.  Now onto mechanicals.   I can't wait to drive this car....    Rob Keena

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 09:16:05 PM »
Rob, looks great! can not wait to see it in Iowa! and meet up with the gang! Jon :occasion14:

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »
Rob,

Looking good, great progress, you should have it done in time for the BCA Nationals. I can't wait to see it.  And you will love driving it!

Regarding the convertible top and rear window, I'm not sure how a glass window would fold down into the well. Would it have a folding seem in the middle of the glass? I went with the original vinyl. It's been 12 years now and it still looks like new. Of course it rarely sees sunlight and I've only put the top down a couple of times. With proper care, a vinyl rear window on a pampered car should last for years. BTW, how long has the top been folded in a box.  I had one in a box for years waiting to be installed. My convertible top installer, said that it would be difficult to get the "box memory" wrinkles out. So he ordered a brand new one just to make sure it was tight and wrinkle free. Just my two cents.

Keep the updates and photos coming.

John Egel

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 12:28:57 PM »
Rob,

Looking great!!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)