Author Topic: Clutch return spring  (Read 5347 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Re: Clutch return spring
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 06:54:23 AM »
To compare measurements with those that Walt provided, here is what I came up with:

Walt's stock spring specs:
0.120" wire diameter (with paint?)
1.220" ID
1.462" OD
270 degree deflection
Right hand wind
approx 8 coils

My measurements:
0.122" wire diameter (with paint?)
1.226" ID
1.482" OD
308 degree deflection
Right hand wind
6.85 active coils (looks like 7)

Added measurements:
Moment arm: 1.32" (length of moving leg)
Stationary leg length: 1.45"
Length at rest: 0.847"
13 lbs. force at 90 degrees rotation
19 lbs. force at 135 degrees rotation
25 lbs. force at 180 degrees rotation

Chuck
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:56:51 AM by cwmcobra »
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Paintworks

• Buick Fan
    • Paintworks Unlimited
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
Anyone come up with the best replacement yet? Or like Walt said, see if Lee can make a run of replacements? I need one for my '66. Holding me up from putting the motor in!!!! It's only been out of the car for 12 years.
Sean
Buick Restorer/Collector

Check out my website/like us on facebook!
www.paintworksunlimited.com

Offline Paintworks

• Buick Fan
    • Paintworks Unlimited
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 07:02:16 AM »
Soooo, I got a quote from Lee Spring to make us up a batch of 20. $81.60 a piece. Yikes. They would also need a blueprint or a sample. I don't mind fronting the project if someone wants to send me their original as I don't have one. Also would like to get 10 committed/sold before I pull the trigger. 5 week turn around. Of course I need one now to get my motor back in. Ugh.
Stupid springs. boing boing boing.
Sean
Buick Restorer/Collector

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 07:24:11 AM »
Hi Sean,

If you go to the last post on the previous page, I posted a drawing of the basic spring design created from measurements of an original.  Doesn't have the eyes on the free ends, but the rest is pretty accurate.  I didn't have time to get a quote from Axcess Spring where I made the drawing on their website.  You might want to have them quote it as well as Lee Spring and figure out the best approach.  I'd be willing buy a spare and suspect others might as well.

If you would like to talk directly, PM me and we can share contact info.

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Paintworks

• Buick Fan
    • Paintworks Unlimited
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 07:34:13 AM »
Hi Chuck,
I copied that info and used that to get the quote from Lee along with the pictures. I'll try to get a quote from Axcess as well.
Sean
Sean
Buick Restorer/Collector

Offline Arthur

• Buick Nut
  • 65 GS
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 10:34:15 AM »
Is the clutch return spring the torsional spring in the bell housing? I found what is claimed to be the spring on eBay that claims to be the right spring, however not sure 100%. I had to add a external clutch spring to mine to get by. One end in the clevis pin hole in the clutch linkage and the other in the frame hole.  Works good but not the real fix just temporary.
65 Buick Skylark GS 4 speed, HT flame red w black top, original owner

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 10:37:40 AM »
Yes, that's the spring that's needed.  If we had an original to send for a spring maker to copy, that would be the best approach.  Are you planning to buy the one on Ebay?  If not, I'll have a look at it and try to buy it as a sample to replicate.

Chuck

Edit:  Just looked on Ebay and if the spring you saw is the one from The Parts Place, it is not correct.  That's a tension spring; we need a torsion spring.  See pictures on the previous page of this thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:40:06 AM by cwmcobra »

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Arthur

• Buick Nut
  • 65 GS
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 04:28:24 PM »
Yes I  did buy on last summer and put it in the trunk for a later day project. Since the fix works great I will most likely not touch it till next spring.If I remember I paid only $12.50. Years ago I needed a torsional spring for one of my dirt bikes and went to a local spring factory and was I shocked at the quantity and price so I had a tool maker make me one out of spring steel. 

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »
Yes I  did buy on last summer and put it in the trunk for a later day project. Since the fix works great I will most likely not touch it till next spring.If I remember I paid only $12.50. Years ago I needed a torsional spring for one of my dirt bikes and went to a local spring factory and was I shocked at the quantity and price so I had a tool maker make me one out of spring steel.

Arthur,

If you have a correct spring that you won't be needing until spring, would you be willing to loan it to Sean to be used as a pattern for a batch of springs to be made?  It seems like giving a spring manufacturer a sample is the best way to get a good, comparable part reproduced.  We'll see what kind of quote Sean gets from Axcess Spring and if it is attractive enough, perhaps the three of us could work together to get a batch made.  Your role will be to supply the sample.  :-)

I'd like to have a spare or two and I'll bet others would as well.  Please PM me if interested.  And Sean, please PM also if you are interested in some help to get this project off the ground.

Thanks,

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Paintworks

• Buick Fan
    • Paintworks Unlimited
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 01:22:59 PM »
anyone willing to part with a spring for a while so we can get some made?
Sean
Buick Restorer/Collector

Offline Arthur

• Buick Nut
  • 65 GS
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 05:31:42 PM »
I would be happy to loan the original spring however It is still in the car. I have the car in storage at my Summer place in the North Woods of Wisconsin and currently in Iowa for a few months before heading to Florida for the Winter. I added an external clutch return spring last year when my clutch was not releasing. I suspect that it is broke and I ordered what I thought to be a replacement, eBay. However the replacement torsional spring ends look way different than pictures I recently seen. It has one long end and a short one and may not be heavy enough spring wire, Not sure as I have not attempted to get the old one out. Not sure what kind of a job it would be?

I wish I could be of more help because I would be interested in one made to specifications.

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 06:20:50 PM »
Anyone know what the time frame would be if we had a batch made ?
I just finished putting my bell housing together but if I knew I could get mine back in a reasonable amount of time ( a couple months or so ) we could use mine .   
I would buy one also , I,d like to have a spare .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »
Thanks guys.  John, let's see what info Sean gets from Lee and Axcess and then you can make a decision on whether the timing will work for you or not.  Sure appreciate your willingness to participate!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 07:57:07 PM »
Before installing the torsion spring in my bellhousing, I did a lot of measuring and force testing.  I didn't find any stock springs that were super close in design, but I'm sure some would work.  Attached is a drawing done online at the Acxess Spring site that is as close as I can come to duplicating the original design, of course minus the hook and eye on the ends of the legs.  Pictures of the spring are also attached.  For those interested in the paint markings, it appears to have dark green paint on it.  Might be Verde Green, for all I know.  :-)

Cheers!

Chuck

This looks very similar to a spring that is on the rear brake caliper for a 97 Park Avenue.

Loren
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:58:38 PM by Loren At 65GS »
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 08:07:42 PM »
That does look similar Loren.  But I question if the ID is big enough for the shaft in our bellhousings.......

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100