Author Topic: Northwestern Ohio get together  (Read 10770 times)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Northwestern Ohio get together
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2016, 06:55:57 AM »
Last several times around Chicago I avoided the whole mess and went straight south of Rockford down to I80, then east.
Mark

Wish I'd thought of that. Probably a bit longer but a lot less hassle coming from Minneapolis. Still need that IPass though.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline 65arcticfox

• Buick Nut
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
If You get a chance. The ferry across lake Michigan from Milwaukee is really cool. and you can avoid the whole Chicago mess. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable taking my GS on the ferry, but I've taken my pickup and it was great.    Bill

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2016, 11:50:57 PM »
Last several times around Chicago I avoided the whole mess and went straight south of Rockford down to I80, then east.
Make sure you guys take lots of pics.

Mark

This is an option, although it's about 40-50 miles longer. One thing to consider is there is road construction on I-39 15 miles south of Rockford right now. Single lane each way with regular backups, according to CB chatter. Might also be some road work on I-80 between I-39 and Chicago too.

Another option would be taking IL Hwy 251 south from Rockford to I-80. It's mostly 2 lane and through a couple of towns, but likely better to waiting out a construction delay. I'll try to get an update on I-39 this week.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2016, 05:23:36 AM »
Kevin and Glenn,

I have confirmed that Bob Bowen and his wife, Mary Anne, will be joining us from Clarkston, MI.  I believe Bob will be driving his 65 GS to the event.

September will be here soon.  Looking forward to it!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:45 AM »
Great news Chuck.
Glenn and I are ready and excited, can't wait for 10-11 Sept to get here. It is looking like 12-13 cars and 15, 65.com members plus family and growing.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2016, 09:01:46 AM »
Great news Chuck.
Glenn and I are ready and excited, can't wait for 10-11 Sept to get here. It is looking like 12-13 cars and 15, 65.com members plus family and growing.

This is really off to a fantastic start.
Looking forward to the trip.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2016, 02:03:10 PM »
All

I have very willingly agreed with my Yukon to join the fun so we will be heading over to NW Ohio on Friday the 9th and deciding on Sunday when to head back.

At this point I do not intend to bring my 65 and trailer unless someone needs the trailer.

My wife is working out of town the week before and after so she will not be joining us.

I haven't made reservation yet so I was wondering if there is a hotel of choice others are using?

The list Kevin posted sounds like some good choices. Thanks Kevin.

It's been a while since I have been through Chicago. Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm willing to pay tolls if it's the best.

Looking forward to seeing everybody and getting to attend the first ever

"Northwest Ohio Get Together of 65GS.com"

Milton

Hey Milton,

Glad to see you're making the trip.  Since you will be coming this way enroute to Defiance, you might be interested in another little side trip that a few of us will be making on the way.  On Friday, a few of us will be visiting the Gilmore Car Museum in Hickory Corners, MI, about a 40 minute drive from Battle Creek.  Loren and Dan will be arriving on Thursday and we'll visit the Gilmore, then convoy on down to Defiance, arriving Friday night.  You are most welcome to join us if you'd like to add a day and break up the trip a bit.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll get more info to you.

And the invitation is open to anyone else that wants to join in.  Just let me know so that we can make plans to meet up before the Gilmore.  http://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

Cheers!

Chuck
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 07:59:08 PM by cwmcobra »
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »
Chuck

Please send me the details on the Gilmore get together.

I am acquainted with the Gilmore but I have never been there.

Milton (MDKD)
65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2016, 06:54:32 AM »
I am sure that by now everyone has planned there route to Defiance. Now we need to get you to ground zero.
Hwy 24 from the West. Take the first Defiance exit. Baltimore Street. Turn Left on Baltimore St. to Deatrick Street (used car lot on the corner). Turn right on Deatrick street, cross railroad tracks, take a right at the second street S. Jackson. (This is part of a detour for S. Clinton St.). Detour is posted, watch for sign, you will turn Left at the sign to S. Clinton St. Turn Right on S. Cllinton St. to the first stop light. Power Dam Rd. Turn Left on Power Dam Rd. Watch for signs on the Right.
Hwy 24 from the East. Take the second Defiance exit. Clinton Street. (motels are at this exit). Turn left on N. Clinton Street. Follow Clinton street to the downtown area. Turn right on Third Street. (truck route) Third st. will change to Holgate Ave. Follow Holgate Ave to Deatrick Street on the left. (used car lot on the corner). Turn left on Deatrick St. Cross the railroad tracks to the second street. S. Jackson St. Turn right on Jackson St. Follow detour signs to S. Clinton St. Turn right on S. Clinton St. to the first stop light. Power Dam Rd. Turn left on Power Dam Rd. and watch for signs on the right
For those coming east on I-80, take the second Ohio exit #13, This is Hwy 15. Go south on Hwy 15 through Bryan, continue on Hwy 15 to Defiance. You will come to a tee intersection with N. Clinton Street. (If you are going to the motels, turn left on N. Clinton St to the motel area on the left). If you are going to Kevin's, turn right on N. Clinton Street to the downtown area. Turn right on Third Street. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS ABOVE TO FINISH THE TRIP..
I hope these are helpful. If anyone needs more information call my cell phone at 419-785-5237. Looking forward to seeing everyone this coming weekend.  I am sure Kevin will have more information to post. 
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »
Both Glenn and I are thrilled with the response to this event.  We ask that every member share sense of ownership in our Northwest Ohio Get-Together.  If anyone has a suggestion to improve, add or delete something do not hesitate say so.
What to bring, I suggest, simply bring whatever you would bring to a car show. 
If you have pictures of a 65 GS restoration project on a memory stick please bring them. We will use them for a running slide show.
I’d ask that everyone coming take a few photos so we can create some historical documentation. My neighbor is a photo buff; he spends his summers traveling to NASCAR and other events photographing cars. He will help arrange our cars for a group photo.
If you have a small project involving welding, polishing chrome/stainless, something that requires a blast cabinet or a 20 ton press, the tools are available; bring it.     
We will start early Saturday morning;  feel free to arrive early.  If you’re going to be in town Friday, please stop by, Glenn and I may put you to work.   If you’re bringing a trailer I recommend bringing it by as soon as you arrive in town.
If you’re using GPS it will bring you close to our driveway, we are the first home south of Bronson Park on the west side of Power Dam Road.  There will be signage at the drive entrance.  Look for the signs and two red brick columns at the drive entrance; it’s easy to miss the drive as the home sits back off the road. 
If you’re towing a trailer, be prepared to make a wide turn when entering the drive,  it’s very doable, we’ve had a large motor home with a very long trailer make the turn.
The address is.
Twenty Two Zero Eight  Power Dam Road, Defiance Ohio.
My cell is 651 two four five  nine four one two
Ideas, suggestions?    Looking forward to it!
More later.
Kevin

Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »
I shouldn't even post this, but if anyone driving a car to the gathering has a problem, i have access to a 26' trailer with a winch. Help is a phone call away.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2016, 10:46:26 PM »
Thanks for your time and effort on this event! :headbang: I sure wish I was able to come ! Have a great time and please post some pics!

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:46 AM »
Here we are with four days to go, we're closing in on what will be a great event.

If you are thinking you don't want to miss this, it's not too late yet. No matter the year of your GS, Skylark or Special, it would be great to have you in attendance.

Looking forward to a fantastic time.  Many thanks to Kevin and Glenn for their hard work putting this together.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »
This Northwestern Ohio gathering is shaping up to rival the gathering at the BCA Nationals in Springfield. Unfortunately I am unable to attend for various reasons. I hope this becomes an annual event. Drive safely and have fun. Thanks to Glenn and Kevin for putting this together.

John Egel

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2016, 05:57:29 PM »
Looks like it's going to be a great event. We can't make it either.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto