Author Topic: Car security, anti-theft devices  (Read 945 times)

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
Car security, anti-theft devices
« on: May 28, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
Anyone use a security devices on their classic to keep it from getting stolen?  I guess one could open the hood and pull the coil wire, but that's a pain. Maybe LoJack?
Other ideas?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 11:41:06 PM by Polishmeatballpizza »
-George

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
On my "do-to" list (Re: Car security, anti-theft devices)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »
Dear George and mid-60s Buick security guards,

Anyone use a security devices on their classic to keep it from getting stolen?

I've had the club in my car since the 1990s.  I know it is a limited deterrent, but I've hoped it would discourage a thief that saw one more obstacle.  For many years I had a kill switch hidden in the upholstery.  Alas it was a pressure sensitive switch that failed in 2010 and I've never replaced it.   The CarDefender system is similar to my old kill switch:

http://www.cardefender.com/

It is a more sophisticated kill switch system using RF technology.  It is on my "to-do" list to eventually get installed.

I have also thought about LoJack, but it is an expensive subscription.  If I ever get my vintage travel trailer and start cruising the country, that might be a desirable option though.

The last (and most positive) solution in a sort of boot like this:

http://store.winner-intl.com/the-wheel-club-p18.aspx

This sort of device is about the only thing I can think of to guarantee that your classic will still be in the motel parking space that you left it the night before.  If a thief sees that, I would hope they have the good sense to move on.

Anyone else have other security strategies?

Edouard

Offline Polishmeatballpizza

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: On my "do-to" list (Re: Car security, anti-theft devices)
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:46:57 PM »
Dear George and mid-60s Buick security guards,

Anyone use a security devices on their classic to keep it from getting stolen?

I've had the club in my car since the 1990s.  I know it is a limited deterrent, but I've hoped it would discourage a thief that saw one more obstacle.  For many years I had a kill switch hidden in the upholstery.  Alas it was a pressure sensitive switch that failed in 2010 and I've never replaced it.   The CarDefender system is similar to my old kill switch:

http://www.cardefender.com/

It is a more sophisticated kill switch system using RF technology.  It is on my "to-do" list to eventually get installed.

I have also thought about LoJack, but it is an expensive subscription.  If I ever get my vintage travel trailer and start cruising the country, that might be a desirable option though.

The last (and most positive) solution in a sort of boot like this:

http://store.winner-intl.com/the-wheel-club-p18.aspx

This sort of device is about the only thing I can think of to guarantee that your classic will still be in the motel parking space that you left it the night before.  If a thief sees that, I would hope they have the good sense to move on.

Anyone else have other security strategies?

Edouard

Car defender looks good. The price isn't bad either.
-George

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Car security, anti-theft devices
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:52:23 AM »
Anyone use a security devices on their classic to keep it from getting stolen?  I guess one could open the hood and pull the coil wire, but that's a pain. Maybe LoJack?
Other ideas?

Any visible device will deter the common thief. He will move to the next car without one.  In experience, living in New Jersey by Newark Intl. Airport, if they want your car they will get it. Period. Unless you can bolt your car to the ground a determined carjacker will take it. I've seen cars snatched with tow mounts on the back of pickups pulling a car with the alarm still whaling.(Repo man style) The guys in the GSCA have had more than one car taken with trailer, even the entire race rig. Cars have even been taken out of their garages.

I'm not saying don't put a device on your car I guess I'm saying don't be surprised if it's gone despite all of your precautions.  :wave:
Jerry

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear George, GreatScat1965, and mid-60s Buick protectors,

Any visible device will deter the common thief. He will move to the next car without one.  In experience, living in New Jersey by Newark Intl. Airport, if they want your car they will get it. Period. Unless you can bolt your car to the ground a determined carjacker will take it. I've seen cars snatched with tow mounts on the back of pickups pulling a car with the alarm still whaling.(Repo man style) The guys in the GSCA have had more than one car taken with trailer, even the entire race rig. Cars have even been taken out of their garages.

I'm not saying don't put a device on your car I guess I'm saying don't be surprised if it's gone despite all of your precautions.  :wave:

Your point is well taken and a professional car thief will always be a classic car owners worst nightmare.  However, you can further help yourself.

In my case, my car is very much a one-off creation that is not likely to have a market.  So the professional car thief isn't likely to be interested.  Even numbers matching 1965 GS aren't the most valuable cars out there, so guys on this board aren't as tempting a target.

The requirements for Hagerty's insurance represent some good common sense.  If you really care about your car, keep it in a lock garage - preferably at your home so you can keep an eye on things and discourage prying eyes.  When you do drive your car, try to avoid making a periodic activity.  If you take your car to the same shopping center, on the same day of the week, someone might notice your car and your habit.  You want to give people a chance to admire your car, but never be sure when or where they might see it again.

Nothing is perfect, but if you make your car too much of a hassle given its value on the black market, you have a fighting change to get the professional thief to pick another "sucker."

Cheers, Edouard

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
I prefer the old fashion way of theft deterent .    A couple simple forms of literature in the back window work , NRA sticker and a copy of my permit to carry seem to work just fine . :evil6:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:32:07 AM »
Having people around is the best deterrent, like on the Power Tour. Thousands of valuable cars and no issues.
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline GreatScat1965

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
A Rottweiler perhaps? They compliment A S&W nicely.
Jerry

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Dear John, Jim, GreatScat1965 and mid-60s Buick security experts,

A Rottweiler perhaps? They compliment A S&W nicely.

A guard dog certainly will enhance your security, but perhaps you should be careful about where you keep your pooch.  There was a story that Hagerty's posted about a man who kept his dogs in the garage with his classic car.  If I recall the story correctly, a squirrel got into the garage and in it attempts to escape from the dogs jumped inside the car.  Of course the dogs continued the chase and the resulting battle did quite a number of the car's interior.

Hagerty's did honor the claim but used the incident as reminder that keeping your guard dog with the car might not be the best idea after all!  :laughing7:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 05:07:20 PM by elagache »