Paint, Trim & Chrome > Paint

Brake backing plates

(1/4) > >>

cwmcobra:
What are the appropriate colors for the brake backing plates?  I thought they would all be natural metal color, but I'm seeing pictures with some painted black, at least on the outside.  Interested in both outside and inside surfaces.

Thanks!

Chuck

WkillGS:
Varies.
Ones on my '66 were bare, unplated steel under the grease.
I think Mark's were cad plated, don't recall if it was silver cad or gold.

Most cars on the assembly lines got a quick spray of black paint on the front and rear suspension to cover the surface rust to make them look decent until the new owners drove them off of the new car lots! The paint wasn't expected to last very long in normal wet driving conditions.

gs spoken here:
On my 66 I did the rears in semi gloss black, both sides, On the front I bead blasted and painted the backs with steel paint, that someone else used on here or V8. I could have just clear coated them after blasting, and they may have been slightly better steel color. I have not found a good steel match paint, to match bead blasting steel.

WkillGS:
The 'stainless steel' aerosol from Seymour paints is a decent match for bare steel.
I often see it offered at swap meets.
http://www.seymourpaint.com/product/stainless-steel/

Someone here was going to try the stainless paint from Rustoleum.

I powdercoated some backing plates with 'almost chrome'. It has a semi-polished aluminum look to it. I was thinking it would oxidize to a more correct look.

cwmcobra:
It was me that ordered the Rustoleum Steel Tech paint.  I am using it in all the applications that I want to look like bare steel.  I haven't compared it to others like the Seymour product, but it looks pretty much like steel to me.  I think I'm going to paint my rear backing plates with it.  I'm putting a disc brake conversion kit on the front and will use the new backing plates that come with the kit there.  If they are bare metal, I'll paint them with the Steel Tech also.

Chuck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version