Author Topic: Which welding machine do I buy?  (Read 213 times)

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for sharing - feel your pain! (Re: Which welding machine do I buy?)
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2021, 01:13:36 PM »
Dear Kurt and mid-60s Buick owners with 20/20 hindsight,

Fall 1981 I went off to the local community college wanting to be an architect,
. . . .
Looking back what do I wish I had done? I should have done more math and became an engineer. They do what I love to do, solve problems and design things. Counseling was a good career because each student had a different problem to solve, but engineering would have been better. No real regrets though......

What a story!  Your life has had a lot of twist and turns hasn't it!

Not to bore you, but I also have had something of regrets when it comes to a technical discipline.  My father was a mechanical engineer working on the design of electrical generating stations.  I too couldn't easily decide on what I wanted to make of my life, but I did manage to enter U.C. Berkeley directly from high school.  It was much easier to do back then.  My dad suggested that I get a degree in Physics and use that to wet my feet for possible career choices.  Everyone was required to minor in something and I decided to minor in Philosophy.  I liked it so much that I ended up turning that into a double major: Physics and Philosophy!

During that time, I ended up getting a lot of exposure to computer technology and decided I would try to make a career out of that.  I took a back door by getting into a department in Cal's School of Education: Education on Math, Science, and Technology.  There I hit on an idea for teaching tool based on rule-based artificial intelligence which I called an: Educational Apprentice.  Describing the concept and building a prototype was enough for a Master's degree.  It seemed silly not to test the concept and proved it worked so I decided to get a PhD and (I hoped) secure myself a lucrative career in artificial intelligence.  Alas, during the pilot study the concept completely failed to teach anything!  :BangHead:

Forced to make something of my failed PhD attempt, I became involved with a very different approach to learning from the Cognitive Science ideas that I was attempting to emulate in my educational apprentice.  Ultimately, my love of Philosophy resurfaced and my PhD became an exploration of a novel theory of learning based on the existential thinking of Martin Heidegger!  In the ultimate irony, my new views on learning offered a very simple explanation for the failure of my educational apprentice system.  I had made a bad choice of learning material in my pilot study.  With a slight change, I probably could have gotten my system to work as intended.  Alas at that point it was too late!

In the end I would have been better off to have taken my degree in Physics and moved into some sort of engineering.  Alas, hindsight is 20/20, but revising that past isn't an option!

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14: