Author Topic: Red Convertible Resto  (Read 13595 times)

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Red Convertible Resto
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »
Much more work than I thought it would be but its ready for paint.  Both head light fixture frames were replaced with sheet metal parts from Wolf Steel of Canada. 
The original was in rough shape both from corrosion and a past accident.

Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2017, 09:44:09 PM »
I try to keep the original owner in the loop with the restoration progress. I realized today how much it means to him. I sent him an update complete with pictures of the current status; below is his reply.  I think he is the single greatest motivating factor in this restoration.

I share this with you because I think it represents a piece of history of which this car was only part of.

Hello, Kevin,

Again, i’m mostly.in a state of shock in hearing from you regarding my Buick.  The fact that you “found” it and my name and address was in the glove compartment just blows me away!  Of course I have no memory at all of that note being there.

I had just finished my master’s degree in fine arts with a major in opera at Wichita University and was traveling on a State Department tour of Europe, was making contacts in Paris with the Sorbonne University to do a doctorate there and teach and coach opera at the Paris Opera at the same time.  I celebrated the master’s with the drop dead gorgeous red “Buick Gran Sport.”  I literally don’t recall what I paid for it; however, i do remember at the time it seemed like a dream and I obviously went for it.  Within a year of purchasing it, i planned a trip to Mexico taking a lady friend and my aging mother for a vacation.  Big mistake as it turned out. On a day trip southwest of Mexico City almost to Taxco (Sp?) we were going up a fairly steep mountain road when every red light came on on the dash.  I stopped immediately, pulled over to the side of the road.  The engine was starting to steam so I left the hood up.  A road crew was working nearby and I was able to beg a ride back in to Quarnavaca (Sp?).  Of course there was no Buick garage there but there was a Ford garage.  There, I met a Mexican movie star who translated for me and we made arrangements to have the car towed back there. I rented a new Volkswagen bug — bright blue and we kept it for several days while a new Auwabomba (water pump) was air shipped from Houston, Texas.  We drove it back to Wichita, but I could tell it was not right.  We drove slowly all those thousands of miles home only to find the block was cracked.  Long story, I bought a new Ford station wagon and traded in the Buick.  And that, my friend is the long and short of it.  I loved the car.  it was a dream to drive.  The power steering was one of best I ever had.  I loved the braking system, the gear shift on the floor.  (My first like that.)  I’ve never had a car since that I loved as much as that one.  Driving down the street even at home, folks would holler over to me and say, “Tell me about that car.  It is so gorgeous!”  Those white sidewalls really showed it off I remember.  The bucket seats were new to me to.  The white vinyl top just set it all off.  Kind of like icing on a cake if you know what I mean.

To say I am thrilled that you have it and are restoring it with such love, attention and care makes me so proud and truly happy.  Would love to be able to meet you.

Tell me again, please where you found it.  What the circumstances were that you were looking and how much you paid for it.  I love the photos so very much.  Please keep me posted and send more pictures.  Truly, I almost get misty eyed when I see the pictures and “remember” the times that were associated in owning it.

I had been living in Wichita and going to the University in Wichita and starting my career in opera when i ordered the Buick. I had moved to Wichita from Parsons in the far southeastern corner of the state where my family lived; consequently, that was where I went back to order the car.  Of course they did not have it on the lot and I had to wait several  weeks maybe a month or two or more for it to come in.  I remember how genuinely excited I was when the phone call came that it was in.  Parsons is about 150 miles southeast from Wichita.  I got there as fast as I could.  Gribben Motors there had it “centered” in the middle of the show room and had been taking dozens of photos.  It obviously had been causing quite a stir.  Later I was told it had even been photographed for the Parsons Sun, the local paper. I financed it with Parsons Commercial Bank, the bank I had been using all the while I lived in Parsons.

Much fun, Kevin.  Now, you’ve got to keep me posted on your journey and the fine old car’s progress.

You’ve got an old retired (80 years this past December) new friend in the north end of Wichita, Kansas.  I live on a five acre private compound in a beautiful Adirondack style lodge and am alone now that my partner has died. I have gorgeous gardens, meadows and woods, a 20,000 gallon koi pond and a state-of-the-art greenhouse filled with my private collection of rare and exotic tropical plants gathered from all over the world.  This is how I spend my days now.  I have engaged Ryan Bina, a personal assistant who checks on me once or twice a day to see how I am doing and I try to be as happy as I can be, having lost all my family and loved ones.  I do pretty good most of the time.  At other times I struggle. I suspect you understand.

My very, very best to you always.  I will look forward to your keeping in touch with me.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Thanks for sharing (Re: Red Convertible Resto )
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2017, 09:57:08 PM »
Dear Kevin and mid-60s Buick preservers of history,

I try to keep the original owner in the loop with the restoration progress. I realized today how much it means to him. I sent him an update complete with pictures of the current status; below is his reply.  I think he is the single greatest motivating factor in this restoration.

I share this with you because I think it represents a piece of history of which this car was only part of.

Hello, Kevin,

Again, i’m mostly.in a state of shock in hearing from you regarding my Buick.  The fact that you “found” it and my name and address was in the glove compartment just blows me away!  Of course I have no memory at all of that note being there.

. . . . .

You’ve got an old retired (80 years this past December) new friend in the north end of Wichita, Kansas. 

. . . . .

I try to be as happy as I can be, having lost all my family and loved ones.  I do pretty good most of the time.  At other times I struggle. I suspect you understand.

Thanks for sharing that.  Indeed there is a lot of human history there and like so many stories these day, the end isn't always pretty.  It is an odd struggle to preserve these cars.  You can't give back to the original owners the history that they didn't have with their own cars.  I have e very special relationship with my trusty wagon. throughout my life, the car literally stood by me when it had very right to clonk.  We are at a very special moment in the unfolding of time and perhaps we all shall understand that cars are more than transportation.  But it will take a special kind of person to be open to that reality - a car guy (or gal!)  :love4:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »
Kevin, wow what a letter. If you didn't have a motivation to finish the car you sure do now. How about a road trip to Kansas.
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2017, 11:50:32 AM »
X2!  I had the same thought.  With a previous owner that passionate, it would be hard to resist the urge to get him together with the restored car!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »
Wonderful story Kevin. Can not imagine his feelings when he got the first letter from you.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Rear axle is installed less shocks. Waiting on lower shock mounting bolts. Front A arms are in. Waiting on spring insulators and and steering linkage.  I do need to clean up my front disc assembly's.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Keep chuggin' . . . (Re: Red Convertible Resto )
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2017, 09:18:56 PM »
Dear Kevin and mid-60s Buick "weekend warriors," . . .

Rear axle is installed less shocks. Waiting on lower shock mounting bolts. Front A arms are in. Waiting on spring insulators and and steering linkage.  I do need to clean up my front disc assembly's.

Sounds like a reasonable amount of progress for a weekend!  :hello2:  Just keep pluggin' along as you have time!

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2017, 08:59:54 PM »
Not a lot of progress to report, still plugging along on the frame and waiting on parts.  I did mount the rear tires to allow finish the rear suspension.
I've reached the point on the body were I need to do a lot of cutting and grinding and sanding.  I want to be able to open the garage door for ventilation so thats on hold for a couple months.
In lieu of a progress report I’ll add a little more Buick history from owner number three.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kevin--when I get back to Minnesota and can get ahold of my records I'd love to add some history to the car.
Briefly i bought the car from a guy who was from St. Louis as I recall. It had a '66 front clip the rest is as I bought it. A year or so later I answered an ad from a guy in Duluth that had a parts car, '65 Buick skylark. I bought the frt clip and as many parts as I could salvage. It was at that time that I had it put back together and painted the original color. When I bought it, it was a deep purple, I made it Flame red from the vin number.
I had the frt buckets redone with original? cloth from some outfit in Chicago. The rear seats I didn't mess with. I replaced the hydraulic pump for the top once.  After some time I had it stripped down and repainted a second time.  There was some bondo in the rear quarters and on one of the doors.
Hope this helps some. Let me know if you have any specific questions I might be able to answer. Thanks for the neat up dates J
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
One more.
Fiirst the picture didn't load then it did. Me and posting pictures again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:11:37 PM by Rollaround »
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Thanks for sharing - tires? (Re: Red Convertible Resto )
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »
Thanks Kevin for sharing!  :icon_thumright:

So to satisfy my curiosity, so what are those white-wall tires?

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2017, 10:14:22 PM »
Looking good Kevin!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »
I think there the same darn tires my father had on his 67 Electra 225.  I hated them.  My job was to wash that car every Saturday and I always hated removing those skirts and cleaning the white walls with an SOS pad.
If you mean what size...I'll check and report back. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »
Looking Good Kevin ,  Your little bit ahead of me if thats your engine in the back round .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Wash only in moderation! (Re: Red Convertible Resto )
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2017, 11:29:53 AM »
Dear Kevin, John, and mid-60s Buick "spic and spam" types, . . .

I think there the same darn tires my father had on his 67 Electra 225.  I hated them.  My job was to wash that car every Saturday and I always hated removing those skirts and cleaning the white walls with an SOS pad.

. . . You would have liked my Dad better on this point! . . .  :laughing7:

I'm not sure why it happened that way, but we washed our cars as little as possible.  I suppose it was because we had so much to do and because they were garage kept they simply didn't get that dirty.  Whatever the reason, it really seems to have prolonged the life of the paint.  The original paint-job on my trusty wagon lasted 29 years and might have lasted longer if the car hadn't been in a modest accident at which point we decided to repaint.

If you mean what size...I'll check and report back.

Actually I was curious about brand and size.  White wall tires are getting extremely hard to find "off the rack."  I'm planning to go with Diamondback tires since they give you so much more options.

Keep pluggin' . . . .  :icon_thumright:

Cheers, Edouard