Author Topic: Hood ornament re-coloring service NO LONGER AVAILABLE  (Read 16592 times)

Offline BuickGS65

• Crazy about Buick!
  • 1965 Buick Enthusiast
    • REPRODUCTION LENSES & GASKETS
Re: I don't but chome plater does! (Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service)
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2018, 10:03:20 PM »

I don't know how do to it myself, but I sent my hood ornament to Custom Metal Finishing Indiana for rechroming.  They were able to remove the Tri-Shield foils.

Thanks, Edouard.  I've used them before - I just sent them an email.
Dan
BuickGS65 at   gmail.com
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport ('66 Q-Jet, 2004r)
1965 Buick Skylark (300 4v, 2004r, family owned since '78)
1965 Buick Skylark (special order survivor)
REPRODUCTION '64 & '65 LENSES & GASKETS <-- click link</a

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Hood ornament gasket? (Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service)
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2019, 04:52:00 PM »
Dear mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Believe it or not, I never have managed to put the OEM hood ornament that I had restored on Biquette.  What stopped me is the silliest of reasons: I wasn't sure what to do about a gasket.  Well, the Postron reproduction ornament is staring to get loose, so I have to make the switch.  Checking what I've got in my stash of goodies I have 1/16" cork (similar to what Tony used for the antenna bezel gasket,)  I have some rubber sheeting that is also about 1/16" in thickness, or I could use styrene sheet has I have done in the past.

Since I have some nice cork, I thought I would use that.  Any better ideas?  :idea1:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2019, 06:24:11 PM »
Personally Ed, I'd use some black polypropylene plastic (as in flat smooth el-cheapo mudflaps). With the spring sticking out of the bottom, you'll need to drill a hole into a 2x4 lay the sheet down then the gunsight and trace around it with a new, sharp FUTILITY knife. You could also trace it out and cut with scissors.

If theres a ridge break (bend) use a heat gun to form the final product and maybe some spray glue on the piece to prevent shifting. Thats what I did for my antenna base and similar on my glove box lock. Ha! Actually I used a black coffee can lid, but if yer a purist, use a mudflap.  :tongue3:   Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
Installing restored OEM ornament. (Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service)
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

I finally managed to pry enough time to complete this seemingly modest task.  I still had to do this over a few days.  Such are the conditions that prevail these days.

Here is a photo of the components before installation:

I don't know if you can still get the shim piece between the top of the hood and the emblem nut.

Personally Ed, I'd use some black polypropylene plastic (as in flat smooth el-cheapo mudflaps). . . . . .

That certainly might work nicely.  When I removed the old Postron reproduction ornament I was surprised to see how well the styrene plastic had held up.  Here is a picture of the old ornament and the gasket from a few years back:

Here is how the hood looked after removing the old ornament:

Even my styrene gasket did a decent job of protecting the paint until the ornament started to wobble.

I decided to make the sentimental choice and stick with cork.  I first "tacked" it to the base with CA glue:

Then I trimmed around the edges with a hobby knife:

I trimmed a bit further after that picture was taken.  Then it was simply a matter of balancing the ornament shaft, shim and emblem nut to tighten everything.  I had applied cold galvanizing paint on the exposed metal of the ornament, so rust shouldn't be as much of a problem.  Even so I put a bit of silicone sealant on the shaft to impede moisture and act as a thread lock.  As a final touch, I polished the surfaces as best I could with Flitz.  Here is what the ornament looks in subdued light:

The cork seems very noticeable in this photo, but of course you have to put your nose on top of the ornament to really see it.  However, if you want to be even more "stealthy" you might touch up the cork in the exterior paint color of your car.

Here is a view from the passenger side in the sunshine:

Here is a "head on" view:

While I was driving around yesterday afternoon, I found myself with some unexpected emotions.  It wasn't that the OEM ornament looks "fancier," but it looked more understated and "classy" than the Postron reproduction which now felt more like a "caricature" than a reproduction .  While not a big thing, I found myself feeling pleased that I had straightened out another "imperfection" and Biquette was once more a little closer to how she was back in 1965.

Thanks Loren for having this hood ornament re-coloring service!  :thumbsup: and thanks everybody for your support of mid-60s Buicks!  :hello2:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2019, 05:35:21 PM »
Looks great!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Jimbo65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hood ornament re-coloring service NO LONGER AVAILABLE
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2022, 03:44:43 PM »
Has anyone had Jessie do a Tail Light Center Emblem? Pictures?

Thanks,
Jim

1965 Skylark Gran Sport Coupe
Black/Saddle,PS/PW/PB/AC/AUTOMATIC/TILT