Author Topic: Restoring chassis.....need parts  (Read 1890 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Restoring chassis.....need parts
« on: December 01, 2015, 06:57:35 PM »
As I posted in my project thread, I've got my frame stripped down and ready for sandblasting.  Then I need to start the rebuild process after painting.  I asked a question about steering/suspension components in that thread, but have a similar question about brands and sources for other needed parts.  Here's my list:

Steering components - identified all MOOG parts: upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arm.  Seems like the highest quality brand that I'm aware of.
Suspension components- MOOG front sway bar links, coil springs from ESPO (based on a recent thread here), shock absorbers (Gabriel Classic or Ultra?), front and rear control arm bushings? (not sure where to go for these; MOOG lists one number for front and rear, but need to confirm) 
Rear drum brake components - Wagner or Raybestos?
Front disc brake conversion - Looking at Inline Tube conversion kits, both upper and lower.  Also communicating with Scarebird on their lower kit that uses the stock spindles.  Any experience or recommendations? I will be using 15" Rally wheels, so fit into 14" wheels is not an issue.

I have a bill of material for most of the parts I've identified and would be glad to share, but want to confirm the above questions to gain confidence.

Thanks all!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Restoring chassis.....need parts
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »
Hi Chuck,

MOOG should cover most of what you need for suspension and steering. Couple of things; you'll have to source front upper control arm bushings elsewhere, possibly Rare Parts in Ca; I don't know if you can still get center links; the inner tie rod ends fit and function as original, but the grease fitting is in the wrong spot. I greased them then removed the fittings and used plugs available from Speedway. The fittings will interfere with the front crossmember.

I think the rear control arm bushings are all the same. You'll need lower fronts, and possibly the uppers. The stock uppers are threaded in on Buick, not rubber press in type.

Shocks you have many choices.

I tried to buy American made on the brake components. Brand didn't matter that much.

Can't help you on a disc brake swap - I'm still on the drum brake plan, but with power brakes, can't complain how they stop.

I have an old list with all the MOOG and other numbers if you're interested.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:59:08 PM »
Thanks Mark for all the info and yes, I'd love to see your list of MOOG and other part numbers to compare with mine.

:cheers2:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 06:34:37 AM »
I have been very impressed with MOOG quality, but will warn you that most of their bushings have now gone to a polyurethane type and most of them are blue in color, so they will really stand out on a restoration.  I have used a lot of them on my 4x4 Ford trucks where the color is not so important and been very happy with them. 
  You can buy a kit made by Energy Suspension that has all the suspension bushings you will need in polyurethane, and black in color.  That is what I did on my 65.   This website has it laid out really well and even has the MOOG components for sale:
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products/buick_skylark_1965

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 06:40:14 AM by Brian »
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:51:53 AM »
Be careful of the bushing metal case thickness. I have ran into some that are thinner than OEM. These were rear control arm bushing. I thinks the Moog high end were OK.

Offline texasekberg

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Why make things easy.....
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 08:03:40 AM »
Chuck,

I bought a disc brake conversion kit from Summit that I am very happy with, using all GM part like calipers and brake master cylinder etc..
Part number is SUM-BK1202, it is not the cheapest but I have run it for 5000 miles now with no complaints (only thing I upgraded lately is
a double diaphragm brake booster due to too much cam shaft and low vacuum).
Regards Anton
-65 Skylark 455/TH400/10 bolt 3.08 posi
-65 Skylark Sport Wagon 300/355 ST300 10 bolt 3.08 posi
-64 Skylark Sport Wagon 300/310 ST300 10 bolt 3.08 posi

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 08:30:33 AM »
Chuck,
  Note that a lot of the disc brake setups will not work with 14" wheels, so if you were planning to stay with stock looking 14" wheels/tires, that may limit your options for disc brakes. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 08:44:06 AM »
Chuck,
  Note that a lot of the disc brake setups will not work with 14" wheels, so if you were planning to stay with stock looking 14" wheels/tires, that may limit your options for disc brakes.

I thought that was the reason for the offset change in '67 wheels. 

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
Thanks guys.  Yeah, I'm still torn on disc vs. drum on the car.  The car has manual drums now.  My parts car has the original master cylinder and vacuum booster for the power brake setup.  I thought of using that, but since I plan to drive this car and it's not going to be points judged, I'm leaning toward the disc conversion.  I have 15" Buick rallys that I plan to use, so I'm not limited by the 14" wheels.  By the way, Scarebird sells brackets for 14" wheels that uses the stock spindles.  For anyone interested in the stock wheel size and disc brakes, it is worth a look.  They just sell the brackets and offer a list of parts to use with them.  They are off the shelf parts that apparently work well as a system.  I'm still considering them for my car. 
https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:23:01 AM »
I like Moog too.
Other US made choices are (or were) McQuay-Norris and Elgin.
Carquest used to sell Moog in their own boxes. You might be able to get the same parts at a better price.
Centerlinks are not avail from Moog, but are avail from generic suppliers.
Rockauto is a great outfit but sometimes Amazon beats their prices when shipping cost is considered.

I believe the only differences in the drum vs disc spindles is the mounting pad is machined down for the discs. (?)
Disc spindles use larger bolts for the steering arm. You need to drill out your original arms for bolt fit.

Here are some pages from an old Moog catalog:
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal