Author Topic: Hose and belt refresh  (Read 898 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Hose and belt refresh
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:02:20 PM »
I've posted a few questions about coolant hoses, V-belts and radiator caps recently.  It has finally come together, so I thought I'd post some before and after pictures.  This work is on Steve Shuman's red convertible.  The first picture shows what the engine bay looked like when I bought the car.  The second shows what it looks like now.  The upper and lower hoses are not absolutely correct; the molded turns are a bit different, but they fit really well and I got rid of the universal flex hose in the process.  I was able to find some period correct V-belts with no cogs and I replaced my worn out radiator cap with one from Ames.  A cap comparison is the last photo.

Although not absolutely correct, I'm happy with the results.  It sure cleaned up the engine bay!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Hose and belt refresh
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:43:27 AM »
Looking really nice  Chuck.

Is there a bit of size difference in the lettering on the caps?

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:54:31 AM »
Thanks Loren.  It did clean up quite well.

Now that you mention it, the lettering on the Ames cap does appear to be a different size and/or font.  Especially noticeable on the "REMOVE SLOWLY" script.  Makes me wonder whether AC might have produced caps with different fonts if produced in more than one manufacturing plant.  Who's on first?   :laughing7:

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline vinnie

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 03:33:39 PM »
Chuck.
I have a question on the curved heater hose on your car. What is it and do we have a part number. i am updating the hood compartment of my 65 and can see that bending a straight hose could be a problem. By the way, the car looks great. Are you planning on being at Bowling
green in October?

Glenn
Glenn V
1965 Skylark GS Hardtop  2017 BCA Senior Gold
2019 enclave
GSCA 2168
BCA 37942
AACA 915140

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 06:02:06 PM »
Hi Glenn,

All the information on these hoses is contained in this thread: http://65gs.com/board/index.php?topic=2287.msg13871#msg13871

There will be some trimming involved, but they fit nicely when done.  Note that these parts are only a solution for cars with no air conditioning as Brian notes in the above thread.  Take a look and if you have more questions, ask away!

Thanks for your comments on the car.  I'll be on vacation overseas in October, so won't be able to make the Bowling Green event.  Sounds like fun!

Chuck

BCA 48497
AACA 91100