Electrical > Electrical

Parking Lights

(1/4) > >>

Chris:
Since I bought my car, the parking lights / front turn signals did not work.

Today I got some time underneath the front of the car and found two issues with them that I son fixed.

The drivers side light -  The contacts that meet the bulb did not reach.  The fix for this was to simply push on the wires from the back side to give the contacts a little more reach inside the socket.

Passenger side light -  The socket was broke and the plastic piece inside the socket that insulates the two wires and keeps them apart was destroyed.  I went to Autozone and looked in the electrical section and found a replacement socket with the two contacts inside (1157 socket I believe).  I found a socket that allowed the contacts and plastic insulator to slide out and used these to rebuild the socket on my car.  You need to rebuild these since the socket on the car is pressed into the reflector and I've never been able to figure out how to seperate them therefore it was just easier to replace just the inner parts and leave the socket intact.

They both work great.  Now if I can just figure out that darn interior light..  ;D

Chris

Joe65SkylarkGS:
Nice fix dude. I had a similar issue. But what I also did was jumped a few wires so when I switch the headlights on, the parking lights stay on instead of switching off. Because I like them on with the headlights too.

bobbybuick:

--- Quote from: Joe65SkylarkGS on June 07, 2009, 07:30:06 PM ---Nice fix dude. I had a similar issue. But what I also did was jumped a few wires so when I switch the headlights on, the parking lights stay on instead of switching off. Because I like them on with the headlights too.

--- End quote ---
i just noticed today working on parking lights they go off with headlight on can you tell me the fix without butchering the wiring harness .I noticed this is an old thread thats how i found it on a search

bobbybuick:
looks like you could just install a diode from the lt blue wire (headlight) to the purple wire (parking).at least thats what im going to try

elagache:
Dear bobbybuick and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

--- Quote from: bobbybuick on August 16, 2023, 09:56:44 PM ---looks like you could just install a diode from the lt blue wire (headlight) to the purple wire (parking).at least thats what im going to try

--- End quote ---

It has been so long that I have to admit I completely forgot that I made this modification.  I don't think you need to use a diode.  I just cross-connected the parking light wire to the headlight wire.  I don't remember why I was monkeying around with the headlight switch connector but there was some damage I also had to repair.  Here is a photo of the switch and connector as I found it:

Here is the slice I made:

Finally here is completed modification:

Since I had forgotten I had to double-check.  Indeed the parking lights stay on when the headlights come on.

Let us know if you discover anything unusual in your "mods."

Edouard

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version