Author Topic: Problem Solved  (Read 369 times)

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Problem Solved
« on: June 19, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »
Had problems with the GS in Springfield, it just quit running as I was going down the road to the host hotel. Had it flat bedded to my hotel and began working on it while waiting for Loren and others to help me figure out the problem. Turned the key to the run position to perform a voltage check and watched the engine harness begin to melt. Scary. We tried everything to fix it but it wasn't to be. Finally with the help pf Al Jones and others a jumper was made from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil. After starting the car the key would then be turned off and it would run without burning the car to  the ground. LOL
When home the issue was traced to the starter - its a mini starter from Tom Telesco so I called him for assistance. He was very helpful in diagnosing the issue. Turns out that his starters have a diode in the line to stop just what had happened to my car. Somehow mine melted - not Tom's fault. Went to Radio Shack and bought a 3 amp diode and installed that and bingo, it runs.
Also installed a Pertronix ignition that Bill Hurst provided at a nice savings to me. Thanks Bill.
Guess I will be carrying a diode around in my emergency repair kit from now on.
Thanks to all the folks at the meet who helped, tried to help, or just had my problem in mind.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Problem Solved
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
Glad to hear it all worked out Dan!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline telriv

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Problem Solved
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 08:43:10 PM »
Glad we were able to diagnosis/fix the problem Dan.

Tom T.

Classic & Muscle Automotive
C/O Tom Telesco
12 Cook St.
Norwalk, Ct. 06853-1601
Daytime phone:
203-324-6045
No answer: leave message, will call back
E-Mail: telriv@yahoo.com