Author Topic: Site Updates  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
Site Updates
« on: May 05, 2009, 12:41:28 AM »
Hey guys.. I've been working away on new parts of the website and I figured it was time I gave you all an update so you didn't think I was asleep at the wheel.    ;D

I run down in order the different parts of the site and the changes either planned or near complete.

1.  Index (beginning) page - Joe requested that we rotate some art so I'm going through my pictures and finding some suitable images.  When done the picture should change upon each visit and rotate through 5 or 6 different images.

2.  Introduction - I need to make some more corrections on this page.  Ted and pointed out the issues with the engine codes and that's been fixed.  Brian had brought up the question about the information on the brakes and I posted the question but no one replied to it.  Anyone see anything else that needs fixed?

3.  GS Gallery - Leaving as is for now unless anyone see corrections that need made.

4.  Forum - Same as above, leaving as is for now.

5.  Live Chat -  Is anyone using this?  ???   I'm thinking of removing this link from the Index page but leaving the link on the Forum.  In place of the Chat link I like to add a Download section.  This new section would contain high quality scans of 65 ad's and lit that is suitable for printing.  This winter I'd also like to go through all my 65 pictures and write another Screen Saver for the computer and put it out there for downloading.

6.  65 GS Registry - This has been my most recent project.  I've been working on all the parts and I'm within weeks of launching it.  I've rewrote the on line form which is now tied to a Data Base and the form now supports Catpcha security.  The move to a Data Base will mean that members will have the ability to sort and search through the registry records.  The information shared on line will be limited (no addresses, VIN numbers etc) however it'll be really neat to see how many cars with a particular option are registered and how many cars are even still around.  The registry will look kinda of sparse at first since we have about 25 years of registry infomation on paper that will need inputed.

7.  Electronic Garage - This is needing a whole new rewrite and is probably a project best suited for the winter months.  The Supplemental manual needs converted to code and uploaded and the existing layout for the other books needs to be cleaned up.  One area I'd like to add here is a "Slice of Restoration" section.  In this area I'd like for you guys to help me write the How To's just like Walt did for the windshield panel repair.  You take the pictures and write the steps and parts list (include the vendor and cost) and I can make it into a webpage.  Dan Habel said he'd do this for interior restorations on his Skylark and GS and I know several of you right now are working on frames and suspension.  I'd also like to add a member preferred vendor section here for those suppliers of quality parts that we're all happy with.

8.   By the Numbers - My next big project.  This area will have sections for both firewall tag and Protect'o Plate decoding (nearly done).  A section for interior / and exterior paint options (paint booth page I shared earlier), and an extended matrix's that shows all the available option and color combinations.   

9.  Addition of an on line store -  This area will sell 65 GS related items.  This money will help support the costs of the website and provide everyone a place to get 65 GS hats, shirts, jackets and other items sporting our logo etc.  Unlike other sites that ask for donations, I'd rather do it this way so that it's a win / win for anyone who is able to help.

I hope you are all proud of the website and I want to continue to make it better.  My goal is to build a website that sets a standard for our hobby because we are Buick guys and that's how we roll.. "FAST WITH CLASS"   8)

Later,

Chris
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 12:43:32 AM by Chris At 65GS »
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Site Updates
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:18:39 PM »
Chris, it's nice to see that you are moving forward with this website. 8) I look forward to the new stuff every time I visit, which is unfortunately, only when I'm home. ;D
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Joe65SkylarkGS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 10:42:46 PM »
Man oh man it takes alot of work and hours keeping these sites going huh?

Maybe rotate our own cars for the home page? Just a thought.

I never used the chat because the few times I logged in, there wasn't anyone there!!!!lol!!!
Going Fast with Class
GSCA # 3741
1965 GS 4 Speed Hard Top (Under Construction)
1965 Skylark 462, 12.21@109.8
1964 Special FireBall V6, 3 on the tree 4 Sale
1987 Grand National
1987 SS Monte T-Tops 4 sale
1995 Slammed Asstro
17 in Boyd Coddington
Daily Driver

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 01:21:02 PM »
I can use our cars if you guys email me some really clear side and / or front to side (like the red car there now) pictures.

I'll need to take each picture and clean it up (remove all the backround stuff) then convert it to a transparent image suitable for using with the tach backround image.

Please send me your one or two favorites to my email and I'll work on getting these done.

Later,

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline 65gs76limited

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:07:15 PM »
You start talking all that GEEK crap and you lose me like right now! Just ask for pictures. :)

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
You start talking that tough stuff and you get me all hot and flustered Tom!   :-*

Easy there big boy... we'll make you a techie yet.. one day at a time!

As I've taught both my kids well... You never mess with the people at the drive thru and you never mess with the person with "Account access"

LOL!   ;D

Chris

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:31:29 AM »
Chris,

1) I LIKE the red 65!
   I could send you some nice 66 pics. ;D
2) Introduction
   What does this refer to?:
   >>>>The rear suspension got added links to fight axle windup and differential twist.<<<<<
  I have seen some additional brackets under the axle bumpers....is that what it's referring to? I don't have those brackets on any of my cars....did the 65 GS have them?

>>>>The exhaust is 2 1/4 " and the exhaust manifolds are GS only. They are cast iron.<<<<<<
Well, the headpipes are 2 1/4", but the tailpipes are 2".   

Brakes: I didn't think the shoes were wider. I have to check.

3) Gallery:
      Some more catagories would be nice. I'll give it some more thought. Maybe one devoted to members' cars, and another for cars spotted on the web for sale....

4) Forum
     The forum is awesome!
It's great having the early cars' info in one place. 65-6 toipics get lost on a site like V8
We need to get  more people on it to ask questions, that's what primes discussions.  I try to mention it to 65 guys on other forums hoping they'll stop by... we should all do that.

5) Live chat:
      I type too slow! And I'm often on the site when I'm at work....so I get very distracted by things....like work. :P

6) Registry. Very interested in this. Should we persue info for cars we see online for sale?

7) Electronic garage. It's a great resource, but hard to use. I'm no computer wiz, so I'll leave it up to you!

8) By the Numbers:  sounds great! David from Atlanta Buick has come up with some unique items for other years. Maybe he has something for our 65's?

9) Store: cool!

You're doing a great job with the site!
Don't hesitate to send me a list of items I can work on. Maybe I can help out.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
Awesome Walt, thanks so much for the feedback, that was exactly what I was asking for.

2) Introduction
   What does this refer to?:
   >>>>The rear suspension got added links to fight axle windup and differential twist.<<<<<    I'd seen this somewhere else and used it.  You are right that it seems like only the convertibles have the extra braces in the frame and maybe I should change it to read so or remove this line altogether.

I have seen some additional brackets under the axle bumpers....is that what it's referring to? I don't have those brackets on any of my cars....did the 65 GS have them?

>>>>The exhaust is 2 1/4 " and the exhaust manifolds are GS only. They are cast iron.<<<<<<
Well, the headpipes are 2 1/4", but the tailpipes are 2".   Another excellent point and I'll update the intro. 

Brakes: I didn't think the shoes were wider. I have to check.   If you can follow up on this and let me know, I'll adjust the intro accordingly.

6) Registry. Very interested in this. Should we persue info for cars we see online for sale?  Sure and also collect info off of any 65's you see in the junkyard etc.

Great comments Walt... Thank you!

Chris

P.S. - If you put a 65 front end and then added some 65 doors, a 65 roof and some 65 quarter panels on that 66, you'd not only increase the value, but I'd also then put a picture of her on the opening page.  LOL!   ;D   Just giving you a hard time man...  Thanks again..

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 10:36:55 PM »
Chris,

The site is looking great. All the things you're working on sound good. I know we have some unfinished business relating to suppliers of GS parts and articles which I've collected for along time, but don't recall where we left that.
I tried the chat a number of times, but no one is there!
I'm very interested in the registry info too.

Anything I can do to help, let me know!

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)