Author Topic: Your GS History  (Read 2056 times)

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Your GS History
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:39:24 PM »
After I read the GSXtra article about Mike Jones 65 GS, I thought I'd take a shot at what may be out there on the history of my GS.

I have the original owners manual with the buyers name, address, etc. but no POP. I've done some internet searches off & on over the years looking for the owner or a relative and always came up empty handed. Mr. Dan Ankeny seems to have a knack for this sort of thing, so I sort of off handedly asked him if he minded taking a run at it. I emailed him what I had, and he had a reply back to me a few days later. There was a relative of the owner in Phoenix and he gave me numbers & addresses. I called one of the phone numbers for Jane, the daughter of the original owner. I was pretty surprised to say the least. I learned a few things about the car and it's owner, but she told me that she had a brother John, who lived in MN, about 30 miles or from me. I got his phone number from her, but didn't try to call for week or two because it was around the holidays, 2014.

I finally connected with John, who inherited my car when his dad, the original owner passed away in 1975. A lengthy phone conversation and some email exchanges culminated in a visit from him to see "his" car last Saturday. We talked for about 2 hours with a promise to stay in touch so I can let him take a spin in it this spring & summer, and that he might stop by one or two of the shows I hope to have it in. He owned the car until 1990 when he was transferred overseas for his job. Two owners later, I bought the car in 1991. I learned some fascinating details about his dad, how he came to own the car, and some of it's history. John searched through his files at home and still had most of the receipts and bills for work done dating to 1966 as well as the original dealer invoice. I asked him for copies of these, and while at it, I asked if he knew where the original black & yellow CA plates were. He replied that they were nailed to the wall in his garage (!!) and would I like to have them. John is a great guy, retired these days. I can't wait for spring so I can get photos with him in & with the car.

There's a lot more to this story, but too much for a web post. So, the rest of you guys, what is the story/history of your GS???

Mark

65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Online Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: Your GS History
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:08:56 PM »
 :hello2:
Mark,
  I'll bet John couldn't believe is eyes and you had a great day too by the sound of it.

Nice thread,

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:55:30 AM »
It is just amazing what can be found on the internet. Never imagined that the search would yield what it has. Glad I could help out.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Online cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
Great story Mark.  It would be great to share a restored classic with its previous owner.  In my case, I know a bit about my car due to contact with a previous owner. 

I found the car on an Arizona Craigslist offering.  During my initial phone conversation with the owner, he told me who he had bought the car from and gave me the previous owner's phone number as a reference.  He also told me that the previous owner is well known to lots of Buick fans and has frequently been on many of the Buick forums.  Some of you Buick "Old Timers" might recognize him; Dave Knutsen from Washington state.  I've since had several phone conversations and many email exchanges with him.  So here's what I know about my car's history......

The car was driven by a friend of Dave's in high school out in Washington.  Dave always admired the car and a few years down the road, it was for sale and he bought it.  Dave has a stable of classic Buicks that he's restored and when he got around to working on this one (in the '90s, I believe), he decided to change it up.  It went from Arctic White with black top and interior to Black with white interior.  He bought another 65 GS 401 and bolted on a Muncie M21 and swapped that out for the factory 401 with automatic tranny.  He added a 2X4 intake setup (except not the correct carbs), consolette and a correct tilt steering wheel.  The car came from the factory with a 3.36 Posi and power windows.  He drove it for few years and then decided he needed to "thin the herd" in his collection and chose this one to go.  He sold it to a friend of his son, living in Arizona, the person that I bought it from.  By then, it had been quite a few years since Dave's restoration and the new owner decided to have a friend do yet another restoration.  Unfortunately, the "friend" went bankrupt in the process and the car was returned to its owner with the front end and hood in primer, but all the parts included.  That's how I bought it. 

Now its time to bring her back to life again.  Its not numbers-matching and isn't configured as it came from the factory.  But its fun to drive and will make a good stable mate with my 65 Shelby Cobra replica.  When finished and a top is installed, she will at least be able to run in the rain when necessary.  The Cobra just turns into a rolling bathtub in the rain!  :nono:
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline Jonesy

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 09:38:45 AM »
That's a great story Mark. Have you found any documentation/build sheets in the car?
65 GS 4-speed
70 GS 455 Auto
87 Grand National daily driver

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »
 Great stories guys! Since I'm still looking for a 65 my story will likely go something like this.  We were looking for a 65 Gran Sport and ___________ from the 65 GS forum told me about a car for sale he had heard about.....   :occasion14:
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »
As the 2nd owner of my 65 conv., some of the orig. doc. I have is: 1. orig. owners manual, with metal plates, Orig. shipping invoice from Buick to the orig dealer, who I bought it from. When I removed the orig. carpet and the tar sound deadner, I found part of a build sheet. Had a repo window sheet made from the orig. shipping invoice.
The lady that bought the car came down with cancer in 69 and traded on a 69 Lark with auto, as she could no longer drive a stick.
I have talked to several people over the years, and with her son using the car at times I heard about several " item as to various behaverior in the car".
Al :angel4: 
65 GS Conv.(flame red/ white int. orig. 401/ 4 speed.
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 11:31:04 PM »
Great stories guys! Since I'm still looking for a 65 my story will likely go something like this.  We were looking for a 65 Gran Sport and ___________ from the 65 GS forum told me about a car for sale he had heard about.....   :occasion14:

Jim, what sort of price and condition do you have in mind? I have been thinking of selling mine as the itch for a convertible is getting stronger.

BTW, I picked up a load in North Mankato last Friday afternoon.  :hello:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Tom, if you get to Mankato again give me a call. PM sent.
I am looking for a driver.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:31:37 AM by GS66 »
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 12:46:28 AM »
Tom, if you get to Mankato again give me a call. PM sent.
I am looking for a driver.

PM replied to.
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.