Author Topic: tail light sockets  (Read 1665 times)

Offline elwood1950

• Buick Fan
tail light sockets
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »
Need to replace all the sockets for the taillights. I have tried auto zone but they have stopped working? Where to get stock replacements, anyone know of any sites other than junk yards?...bill
bill betz//65gs auto red with white interior//all original

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
Re: tail light sockets
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 01:24:55 PM »
Bill,

I've looked for years for the originals. New ones are made in Taiwan. The plastic mold is correct on them but the metal portion seems soft.
The primary issue with the originals is that the ground side of the circuit is made through the tail light where the socket snaps in. If there is a bit of corrosion or they come loose from the tail light housing, you have no lights.
The last couple of tail light harnesses I have redone, I have soldered in a ground wire circuit and attached it to the body. With this, there is always a ground circuit.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »
Loran could you post a picture of your handy work, or a quick how to.
Tks K
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:05:18 PM »
Hi,

I have had issues with the tail light sockets as well and found out there were 2 different part numbers on I think was for 67 and later which are incorrect as you end up with connection issues and seems to be the only part most stores carry

Check rockauto as they do list the correct ones I used their part number and had my local Napa cross reference it they were like 10 bucks a piece.

Regards,

Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »
I used 18 gauge black wire for the ground circuit.
Basically, the connections are daisy chained one socket to the next with the black wire. You can see where I drilled a hole in the plastic socket for the black wire. I carefully remove the metal part of the socket and the wire is then soldered to the metal part that the bulb turns in. Solder the wire to the outside or you won't get the bulb back in.That is the ground side of the system. After soldering the wire on, re-install the piece into the plastic socket.
There is a tail left to the black wire. I soldered an eyelet connector to it. This eyelet is attached to the car body with a screw, thus completing the ground circuit.
Plan the layout so the eyelet can be screwed in an area that is not easily visible.
Re-wrap the wire harness with the new ground wire included, it looks great and no one is the wiser.
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:30:39 AM »
Nice work Loran. Did you ground each light bulb separately or link them together with one grounding point?

Here is a link to Rock Auto's sockets  http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

I've struggled with the tail light assembly grounds on both my Special (converted to LED) and GS. I like Loran's approach; looks like another winter project to add to the list. 
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »
Loren rewired my tail light harness this way. There is only one ground point to the body.
I found a good spot to hide the wire, then drilled a hole and screwed it down. I put a rubber
nipple meant for a carb vacuum port blockoff on the exposed part of the screw to disguise it
further.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline elwood1950

• Buick Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »
THANKS ALL, I HAVE THE ROCK AUTO SOCKETS AND THEY WORK FINE. BLEW A FEW FUSES IN THE PROCESS SOMEHOW, BUT ALL IS STRAIGHT AS I FOUND THAT BAD WIRE. THIS SITE IS THE BEST FOR INFO, THANKS AGAIN...BILL
bill betz//65gs auto red with white interior//all original