Author Topic: 4 Speed stuck in 3rd Gear  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
4 Speed stuck in 3rd Gear
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »
Having some fun driving the 4 speed until today. Took one of my boys out for a lesson and shazaam....we're stuck in 3rd gear. I was happy we did not have to drive home in reverse. I jacked it up and took a look underneath but nothing appears amiss, so I put the cover on it and walked in the house. Have noticed that it pops out of 2nd occasionally as well. That is the extent of my troubleshooting, and I'm new to the manual transmission game so any tips would be appreciated.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: 4 Speed stuck in 3rd Gear
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:31:32 PM »
I honestly haven't driven my 4 speed T-10's  yet, but 2 of my cars with Richmond 5 speeds have gotten stuck in 2nd gear. The cause was the shifter linkage.... the rod for 2nd gear was too long (loose) and it wasn't pulling out of 2nd gear for the 2-3 shift. The result was it was not pulling out of 2nd, and couldn't select any other gear. Shortening the rod to the 1-2 shift lever fixed the problem.
Try going under the car and moving the 1-2 shift lever into 'neutral'  and see if that fixes it.
For my particular 5 speed problem, I had to turn the engine off to get it 'unstuck' from 2nd gear.
Dunno if this applies to your situation, but it may be worth a try.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:37:16 PM »
I too suspect that the linkage is not aligned properly.  When it stuck in 3rd, were you trying ot downshift to 2nd, or were you going up to 4th?
 As for the jumping out of 2nd, there is a fix for that, but it requires modifying the detents on the side cover.  Take the shift shaft for 1st/2nd out of the cover and weld up the 2nd gear detent in it, then grind it down smooth just like there was never a detent there.  Now take a die-grinder and make a new detent that lets it go further into 2nd gear.  You will also have to re-shape the profile of the curve where the detents are so that it will clear and line up properly with the detent ball in the side cover.  It will make more sense once you pull the cover off and look at it..  I have done that modification to about 8 of them now and it works every time.  T10 is famous for that issue.  The synchro teeth on the gear wear and there is not enough surface left for the slider to get a good bite on it.  Usually will jump out on deceleration.  They also make what are called torque-lock sliders that have back-cut grooves in them that make the slider want to pull further into gear when torque is put on it in either direction, but my experience is that by themselves, they don't always fix the problem. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully it is a linkage adjustment issue. Had been shifting ok but as mentioned I was showing one of my boys how to drive a stick. Think he only got to 2nd and when we stopped I had him try to backup and that is when it happened. Kinda busy for a week or more, so it will have to wait. I'll let you all know.

Thinking about this more I wonder if I'm stuck in 2nd....

Dwaine
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:19:04 PM by Welder »

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:33 AM »
Not sure if this applies to your problem, but many years ago I had a Ford Toploader that exhibited the exact same issue.  I was, ahem, racing late one night when it stuck in second, and refused to budge. Eventually, I "forced" it into neutral, but the damage had been done. I managed to break the second gear synchro. That was the result of missing second gear one too many times due to my stubborn refusal to adjust the linkage.  :BangHead:

Hopefully, yours is simply an adjustment issue. :occasion14:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »
Well I'm unstuck. Jacked her up, crawled under and aligned all the gears into neutral and that took care of it. Hoped in and drove into town for some heart medicine (Diet Mountian Dew). Nice 56 deg evening for a drive. Still popping out of second on deceleration so I'll have to address that next.......

Dwaine 

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:07:43 PM »
Dwaine,
  Feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number and be glad to talk you through the fix for popping out of 2nd gear. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)