Author Topic: Hard top Window Channel with a Post Car Door and Window?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Hard top Window Channel with a Post Car Door and Window?
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »
Hi,

I have  a Post car and my Pass side window channel (part at the bottom of the window that attaches to the regulator) rotted away to nothing

I have a Hard Top pass window and looking at it and what was left of mine wondering can I use the hard top channel pieces with some spacers and clamp it to my post car window?

has anyone been down this road?

Anyone have a pass window channel and rubber strip they would like to part with?

Regards,
Jim

1965 Skylark post car (65 GS frame 401/4-speed, 2x4's)
1964 Skylark (future 430 stick)
1965 Special 4 door 300 4speed
1964 Special 2 door (future, GS 401 3 speed stick)

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Hard top Window Channel with a Post Car Door and Window?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:01 AM »
Hi all,

here are some pictures that might help you see what I am thinking of doing
1st picture:
top hard top window channel (bolts together onto and thru window)
post rubber retaining strip
post metal window channel

then some close ups of the post car parts if someone has one in their stash they want to part with

Regards,
Jim

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »
 Hi Jim
 I just had the same problem with a post coupe. I removed the window/ track and took a good look at what had rotted and repaired it for less than $10.00 
  The part that rotted out was part of the U channel that holds the long rubber strip. It rotted out where the factory spotwelds are.. I cleaned the channel then measured the leangth and width then went to my local hardware store and purchased a quarter inch wide by 36 inch steel strip ( less than $10 ) cut the steel strip the leangth of the channel..and put it on the side for use later...  Now take the upper window roller track and drill out the 2 spotwelds  using a 1/8 drill bit (these are your factory allignment holes) Take the U channel turn it over and place the new strip over it mark the spot of the factory welds as close as you can and scribe a line and drill a hole in the center. Now comes the fun part !! Mig weld the steel strip to the U channel, then pop rivit the U channel to the upper window track using the 2 holes (the rivets are used to hold everything together until it is welded ) then mig weld the upper window track to the U channel..
when it all cools down drill out the rivits, clean & paint the U channel and lube the track. when it's all dry put back the rubber strip and put the window back in.. I kept photos of this project, I will try to attach them.    Tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 08:58:01 AM »
Great job Tony.  :cheers2:

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline jmos4

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:05:21 PM »
Tony,

good idea though not sure if it will work with what I have left, I welded it together last summer and now the sides have bent and there is really no bottom so I need to find something close or see if I can find someone to fab one

my other thought is to attempt to install the hardtop channel and see if it will work

thanks for the tip will try it on the drivers side before it deteriorates

regards,
Jim

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »
Jim  If the hardtop channel does not work let me know, I may be able to fab one for you..

tony
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317