Author Topic: Door panels  (Read 1428 times)

Offline GranSportWagon

• Buick Nut
Door panels
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:55:25 AM »
I am to the point of installing door panels on the wagon and things don't seem right. Is there a write up somewhere that addresses how to install the door panels. Seems like it should be straight forward, but since these are new SMS panels, it is not so straight forward. Also, the lock inserts that I have seem to be too big for the hole in curved metal part of the door panel....................
Thanks for any input.
Mike S.

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Door panels
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:58 AM »
Hi Mike,

I must admit that I am not that familiar with the wagons. However, in my '65 dealership showroom trim book, it shows that there were two levels of interior trim available. The standard trim for the Sportwagon has two tone trim and with short armrest pads. The deluxe trim was available on the Custom Sportwagons, having the 14" long armrest pads with the flipper door handles and carpeting on the door panels. Since you mentioned the curve metal that is at the top edge of the door panel, I'm assuming that it would be the Deluxe interior, similar to what is in the two door models. As you know, you have to use your original steel top lip and transfer it to the new panel. Not an easy task. When I did mine, I also found that the new door lock ferrules were too large and did not fit properly so I used my original yellowed ferrules. Sometimes, compromises have to be made.

Have you checked the Electronic Garage section on this Website? Look at the Body Service Manual, the interior door details start on page 314. Hopefully that will help you. If not let us know specific questions you may have. I'm sure that someone here is more familiar with the Sportwagons and can help.

John

Offline GranSportWagon

• Buick Nut
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:27:35 AM »
John, you are correct, these are the deluxe panels with carpet and metal round top attached. I originally wanted the version with out the metal top, but a screw up at SMS got me these and after 2 years I wasn't going to go thru the brain damage to change. I will check them manual as you suggest. Thanks for that input.
Next thing is finding new 14 inch arm rest pads..................
Mike

Offline GranSportWagon

• Buick Nut
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »
Well color me stupid, I can't find the Electronic garage on the site. Where should I look?
Mike S

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 12:11:13 PM »
Mike,

Just go to 65GS.com.  The Electronic Garage is the bottom bird.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline GranSportWagon

• Buick Nut
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
Got it. Thanks..
As for the door panels, the secret is setting the screw that holds tension on the rear wind wind vertical. This is set at the factory when they install the door panels and is never changed until you replace your door panels and then if there is a variation in thickness, adjustment is necessary. Sounds simple now, but it was interesting for a while.
Mike S.