Author Topic: Minnesotan visits Kansas City  (Read 794 times)

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Minnesotan visits Kansas City
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:33 AM »
One of the newer members to 65gs.com made a trip from Minnesota to Kansas City this past weekend in search of rare '65 Buick GS parts and warmer weather. Milton (aka mdkd) was successful in scoring a really nice complete CA engine dress up kit and some '65 Skylark spinner hub caps with excellent color in the emblems. He did not fare so well with the weather as a cold front blew in overnight, dropping the temps down into the 40's. Milton has been a Buick and '65 GS guy for a long time. His recent purchase of a red GS convertible has him looking to return it to original factory condition. I had the pleasure of meeting him and showing him my GSs. Of course, a spin around the block in my convertible was mandatory. I did not have to twist his arm.

One of the positive aspects about this website is that it's as much about the people as about the cars. This forum has brought a lot of people together and new friendships have  resulted from it.  I always enjoy meeting these rare '65 GS owners and to hear their story and history with '65 GS. Another positive result of this website is all the new things we can learn from one another about this rare musclecar. I've learned so much from others over the years and am still learning. Milton, you have a long history with the '65 GSs, great stories and photos. Glad to have met you and "the kids".

If anyone else is passing through KC, I'd like to meet you for "show and tell".

John Egel
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:54:16 AM by nut465gs »

Offline campfamily

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Minnesotan visits Kansas City
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
I know that there is no replacement to meeting people in person, and learning from wrenching on each other's cars over the weekend and late into the night, but one thing the Internet has brought us is the ability to connect with people that don't live in our geographical area and learn from them.  That being said, any of you guys passing through Southern California are welcome to look me up for some conversation   :occasion14: and to go for a spin in my convertible.  I certainly don't profess to have the depth of knowledge about our cars that most of you guys have, but I'm willing to share what I've got, and certainly learn from you guys in the know.

By the way, had Bianca out yesterday for a small local show at a 50's diner in our town.  Can't beat that!!!!!

Keith
65 Skylark GranSport, Convertible, Burgundy Mist, White Interior, Mostly Original, 70,000 miles

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »
It's stories like this that make building and maintaining the site totally worth it.   :icon_thumright:

Ladies and Gentleman, the 1965 GS family continues to grow.

Thanks for sharing this story John

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2

Offline mdkd

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 09:19:50 AM »
John

What can I say

You and your wife's hospitality made a great trip into one for the books.

Check my sons smile after a half finished front seat ride in John Egles amazing 65 GS

Pass the torch to those who will follow us.

We talked all the way home about how we could improve our car. (eight hrs)

He figures the California Dress Up kit is a good start and how do we make it sound like John's

I have a feeling it's going to be a busy summer.

Thanks again John and the whole 65GS group.

Milton and Family

65 White GS HT My Pride & Joy
31 in Registry 2022 BCA Gold
65 Red White GS Convert 99 in Registry
SOLD to a good home in Ohio
65 Black GS HT - SOLD to a good home local
Several 64-65 non GS HT & Convert Sold
64 Special 4dr parents bought new not 4 sale

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:23:41 PM »
Milton,

Here is the young man to whom I hope to pass the torch. We had our nephew stay overnight and for today while his parents were out of town. Besides the usual fun and games, I had him help me change the tires on the silver convertible (in restoration). He wanted to take the lug nuts off all by himself and put the chrome ones on the "new" wheels. Not to worry, the car was secure on a floor jack and stands. He had a lot of intelligent questions about the convertible. Smart kid for only being five years old.

John

Offline Chris

• Crazy about Buick!
  • "Fast With Class"
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 10:50:21 PM »
With Duncan in charge.. the Silver Cloud convertible looks like she's in good and loving hands.   :icon_thumright:

Chris
-= A Howitzer with Windshield Wipers =-

1965 GS Coupe
 1983 Porsche 911 SC
 2000 Porsche 911
 2011 Lamborghini LP550-2