Author Topic: Filling convertible top pump  (Read 1150 times)

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
Filling convertible top pump
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
Looks like I need to add brake fluid to my convertible top pump.  Any suggestions on how to so this without getting brake fluid all over the trunk (and peeling paint)?  I read the manual; do I have to find a replacement fill screw, drill it out and use the method described in the manual?  Seems like there should be an easier way.

Thanks!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Filling convertible top pump
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:16:45 PM »
It is a self bleeding system so it actually forces its air out the fill hole. I think they are a pain with the brake fluid,so I switched mine to tranny fluid for the paint eating reason. If there is nothing wrong with yours I would not FIX it. Take out the plug and fill it slowly to the top of the plug like you are filling a rear axle. This is a two person job once it is full. You will be in the trunk with a rag making sure you clean up any spillage while your filling. After it is full,take a rubber hose that fits into the hole snug,and loop it into the air about a foot into a pop bottle. Have someone run the top in both directions fully as you are holding the hose and pop bottle. You have the fun part of keeping the hose tightly into the pump because the air will try to force it out making a mess and ruining paint that it gets to. You will have to run it back and forth,filling it a time or two to get all the air out. It probably is not as bad as it sounds,as long as you have help. You don't want to do it the way I just did mine.....Dan

Offline cwmcobra

• Crazy about Buick!
  • The Verde Howitzer
    • Ginky Weeds Restoration Project
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:25:32 PM »
Thanks Dan.  Looks like the same process described in the manual.  I'm pretty much a one man band, so will have to enlist help with this.  The trunk has it's original finish, so I don't want to mess it up!  I assume you tested your system outside the car for function, then disassembled and refilled it after installation?  Man, wish I had a pallet jack to use!

Chuck
Steve Shuman's 1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Flame Red/401/4 BBL/Automatic - BCA Archival Preservation
1965 Skylark GS Convertible: Verde Green/401/2x4 BBL/4-speed - AACA First Grand National - AACA National Award - BHA Outstanding GS - BCA Senior Gold
1965 Shelby Cobra Replica

BCA 48497
AACA 91100

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:00:42 PM »
I drained the cylinders and put new lines on it,then bled it all hanging from the forks with a battery pack. I was able to put it all back together without losing any fluid.  I just decided to go with the tranny fluid since it was all drained and the pump was rebuilt. There really is no benefit other than the paint peeling off on contact. I have never had a problem with the original setup. The pumps are easy to tear down as long as the motor is in good shape. Good luck Chuck.