Author Topic: Reproduction sheet metal for 65 gs  (Read 2640 times)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
Reproduction sheet metal for 65 gs
« on: March 04, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »
I need to put a new trunk pan in my 65 Gs and I'm just wondering how many different vendors make them ?and if anyone has opinions on who makes the best one .
I don,t see one in my AMD catalog .
Any advice ?
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
35 chev coupe 2 dr Master Deluxe suicide dr,s
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
59 Buick Invicta 2 dr hd top
65 Buick GS 2 dr ht 3 spd
65 Buick GS Convertible 3 spd
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
84 chev 3/4 ton p/u 6.2 diesel
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Reproduction sheet metal for 65 gs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
They make a one piece that is for total restorations and would be a nightmare if you only need small repairs. The three piece ones are a better bet if you do not have to get into the rear quarter panels. You can buy them with or without the gas tank mounting straps. If you post a pic of what the inside of the trunk looks like now,it may help.

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:42:13 PM »
I'll definitely need a one piece . I'm going to put the body on a rotisserie anyway and there's quite a few holes . I see there is a couple different one piece trunk pans out there and I hear the American made one is quite a bit better .
I will be getting some more pictures as I go .
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:53:57 PM »
Check out Ames Performance (Pontiac). I bought the wheel well sections and they fit perfect. Can't remember if it was for 65 or not but I think they even say that the trunk pan is from a Buick stamping and would have to be trimmed to fit.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:16:23 PM »
Chevelles are about 2" shorter in the rear compared to a Buick, Olds, or Pontiac. Best to shop for a GTO pan.

I bought a one-piece at Performance Years (Pontiac) this summer. Matches the one in my '66. It was made in Taiwan and is very nice quality. Haven't gotten around to installing it yet. I'll have to check on the manufacturer.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline gs spoken here

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:52 AM »
I am looking for the patch panel, and below is what I posted on V8, All three make partials and complete, I am thinking Chevelle is different for full floor and full sections but trying to confirm the patch panel with body brace are the same as Buick.

Trunk, partial patch panels for 64/7 Skylark

Looks like Ames and Performance Years have them with the body brace attached. Performance about $75.00 each. Ames about $70 each, NPD lists them for Chevelle, say US made, and look about the same size and have thee body brace, for $63.00 each. I have bought from Ames and Preforance but not NPD. Any thought if the same panel, and are Chevelle the same as BPO in that section of the trunk floor. Thanks Bill

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
HELP :help: So what all sheet metal parts do they reproduce for the 65 GS ?     I'm disassembling this GS I bought and the further I dig the worse it gets .   I've never bought a west coast car before and I'm finding that they rust a little different than MN. cars do .  Appears they rust from the top down .
I'm going to need a roof , trunk lid , trunk pan ( which I see is available ) the rear package tray and possibly inner wheel wells .
I'm almost thinking I need to start looking for a parts car !
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
     You don't have that thing done yet?.....lol. Isn't that the green car with manual trans? I guess to answer your question,there is not much available. I put the 3 piece trunk pans in mine because you would have to cut the whole rear apart to correctly install a one piece. If your rear crossmember is nice where the two rear body bolts go into the frame,I think you would do yourself a favor by staying away from the one piece. You can trim the old pieces out in such a way that the seam is just above that rear brace,so in effect,good bodywork is work that no one can see that you did.
     I was going to buy a deck lid from gs sizzler,but I ended up using my original after all the blasting damage was repaired. He may still have a good one. Don't be afraid to just buy the trunk pans and repair the rest. Once the pans are trimmed out of the way,you can sometimes make new pieces where the sandblaster makes holes,especially at the bottoms of the wheel houses where there will probably be some rot. The car looked pretty decent for a 50 year old. I would buy the panels first,and then cut your old ones out and trim all the caulk and old spot welds out of the way before sandblasting. Just because a new panel is a certain size doesn't mean you have to use all of it.
      The scariest part of a roof is the area that the glass seals to. Remove the glass and blast this area good. Stay away from any flat surfaces with your blaster,it will warp them to death. Try to fix the roof small in areas if you can. If it is Swiss cheese when you're done,then look for a roof. The more you chop apart,the harder it is to make fit. Sometimes your local roofing and siding guy is your best asset. A good metal brake and a new piece of sheet metal can go a long way on welding repairs.

If it was easy everybody would have one,Dan

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
To expand a little on Dan's post, the only repro sheetmetal available for us is the floorpans, trunk pans, and the filler panel
between the rear window & decklid. Everything else is sourcing used or fabricate. I think I've seen repro front fender bottom
sections on eBay. 100% unsure of fit or quality.

Brian on this forum has replaced a top. Maybe he can chime in with some information on that repair.
Speaking of rust from the top down, see pics attached - courtesy of Brian.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:04:55 PM »
Hey Dan it's not finished quite yet , I still have to wet sand and buff it out yet .LOL I WISH !
Yeah it is the Green car from Oregon . The roof part doesn't scare me too much as I have done some of those before . It's the underside of the rear package tray and the filler panel between the rear window and trunk lid . I was just curious if they reproduced those parts for other cars that might interchange with the buick gs . Like the pont. Olds. Or chevelle parts .someone said the olds f85 roof I think was the same .
It sure helps having you guys from this forum to talk to .
Thanks for the advice . :thumbsup:
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline Mark Ascher

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 03:09:25 PM »
The rear window filler panel is the same as 65 GTO.

Mark
65 GS HT 4 Speed - BCA Senior 2015; AACA Senior Grand National 2021
66 Impala 396/TH400/12 Bolt "Project Rodent Remediation" - Almost Done
69 Bel Air 2 Door Sedan "Project Junior Stock" - In Process
19 Chev Silverado Pickem Up (daily driver)

Offline 35chevcoupe

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 03:13:42 PM »
Hey Mark , Thanks for letting me know about the filler panel . Even that piece will help from having to search out used parts . It's just strange to see how different cars rust in different parts of the country .
The floor and front end on this car are really pretty nice with very little work to do on them .
The pictures of that white car make me feel fortunate !
I can't wait to see some of your guys cars !
John Evenson

1930 model A 4 dr sedan
55 chev belair wagon 4dr
1970 Cuda 440-6
71 Buick GS
Yeah there's more
There all projects

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 09:46:03 PM »
I saw that the rear panel is available between the trunk and rear glass. Has anyone tried using one yet? I am back on the convertible body and did not have to replace mine after doing a couple small repairs.