Author Topic: New found interest: 65 GS 53,000 original miles!  (Read 6314 times)

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: New found interest: 65 GS 53,000 original miles!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »
Glad to see you back on the board here Dennis!! :thumbsup:  I'm with most of those who say driver it, albeit after taking care of the rust issues. Hopefully, you won't fix one spot, then find two more that you want to fix, which inevitably leads to a frame off.  :nono:  :nono:

Oh yes, I have no problem with you converting it to a 4 speed.

:occasion14:
Congrats on a find of a life time. What ever you do ENJOY IT . That's what I'm doing with "Mr T's" bronze ht.

Al
Hi Tom
We had a ball with the ht so far, one of our guys at the fire hall took it for a short ride. the kid is 22, when he got out I have NEVER seen anyone with a bigger grin on his face. he could not believe the power of the old girl.
I think we have another convert to the Nailhead.

Al

Hi Al, glad to see you're enjoying my old car.  :occasion14:  :hello2: Hope it's treating you well.  :icon_thumright:
65 GS Conv.(flame red/ white int. orig. 401/ 4 speed.
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
Wheelz ,the road wheels are the second in the first style design the C with the 5 in the center means built in 65!  The first of the early style had unistyle stamped on them with No three digit number code . I see the ones that you have pictured are stamped 833 where most and the set, I have are stamped 813. What is the build date of your. GS? And what plant?

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 10:11:35 PM »
Hi Tom
We had a ball with the ht so far, one of our guys at the fire hall took it for a short ride. the kid is 22, when he got out I have NEVER seen anyone with a bigger grin on his face. he could not believe the power of the old girl.
I think we have another convert to the Nailhead.

Al

Very cool for you to do that to a 22 year old! Perhaps planting the seed, just in case you decide to sell it??  :nono:  :laughing7: :icon_biggrin:

I sort of miss that cars exhaust sound when stomping its go pedal. Must content myself with replaying a few videos I shot when I still had it.  :headbang:
Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline 65GS

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »
 :hello:
Hi Tom
I have been meaning to contact you about the exhaust on the hardtop. Did you change it?, if so what did you use? Ihave never heard such a sweet, smooth sound on a 65. Usually cherry bombs were used. the problem with them is they had a very sharp bark to them. These pipes and mufflers have a very low authority sound to them. Definetaly a very nice sound. One of the best sounding systems on a nailhead I have ever heard. :headbang:

AL
65 GS Conv.(flame red/ white int. orig. 401/ 4 speed.
65 GS hardtop auto.
BCA #3277

Offline Mister T

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 08:57:05 PM »
:hello:
Hi Tom
I have been meaning to contact you about the exhaust on the hardtop. Did you change it?, if so what did you use? I have never heard such a sweet, smooth sound on a 65. Usually cherry bombs were used. The problem with them is they had a very sharp bark to them. These pipes and mufflers have a very low authority sound to them. Definetaly a very nice sound. One of the best sounding systems on a nailhead I have ever heard. :headbang:

AL

Hi Al, that exhaust is what the car came with when I bought it from Maryland. I loved the sound the first time I started the car the day my brother Randy and I picked it up.

Tom B

Currently bereft of Buicks.

Offline Rollaround

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 08:30:28 AM »
I think a 4 speed is a great idea, if you really want to have some fun cruising install a 5 speed OD.
Kevin
Northwest Ohio
Working the endless restroation.

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »
TIRE SWAPPIN'... I removed the wheels & separated BFG'S.   I've been cleaning & scrubbing the 5 original 65 GS wheels inside, outside, underside, overside, rimside, scummside etc, ...  with a concoction I've used for 20+ years,  ZUD cleaner and tide...

INSIDE:  sanded, scuffed up and applied a nice (but incorrect) dusting of a metallic gold to the wheel inside center section..  the original spare wheel center section had some kinda zinc dichromate plating..so I tried to match as best possible...
Then I applied a light dusting of silver metallic to the rest of the surface rusted rim.  I KNOW silver its also incorrect but hey, I wanted to protect what is still worth protecting here, K?

OUTSIDE:  I met a fello who offered me 2 spraybomb aerosol 2K cans of correct 65 WHEEL SILVER...  after cleaning and masking the lug areas, I applied a light DUST COAT of silver, when that dried to touch, 2 full medium final coats.  When that became  tacky, I sprayed 2 coats of MATT FINISH RUSTOLEUM CLEAR as a top coat to the silver.   

When the paints dried in our warm Florida sunshine...  :sunny:  I hand applied 3 coats of 4 SEASONs TREWAX,  the ONLY pure carnuba wax on the market these days...  btw~GOOD STUFF!

I am about to mount 4 new Firestone Red Line tires on these wheels on tuesday along with the original spare redline for the trunk!!   Yeeeeahh Budddy!  I am feel'n pretty goood at how this is coming along so far.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay   
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
few more pix:
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
...and,  more ~ including the original spare IN original silver...a dern near perfect MATCH HUH?:
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 03:14:28 PM »
Nice wheels Wheelz. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Very nice job.

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
  ..and finally:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 04:02:04 PM by wheelz »
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »
I ordered a new set of center cap medallions from Mitch...  and I've already drilled out, tapped and prepared the original and YET VERY DECENT ribbed caps for when they arrive!!! 

Completed wheel/tire combo pix coming to a computer near you SOON!!!

STAND BY.  :thumbsup:

Wheelz, Tampa Bay   
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »
Good One, Dan!  :headbang:
Wheelz, Tampa Bay