Author Topic: 65 GS Vert..strange package?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
65 GS Vert..strange package?
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:49:46 PM »
...Local fello on C/L, offering a roller 65 GS vert... I went to looksee.  EXTREMELY SOLID BODY. in fact, there is ONLY ONE SPOT of rust and that is barely worth mentioning.  NO motor or trans and missing crossmember. . . appears he has most of the interior, trim, bumpers etc...   he has original window sticker.  (pix below)
SO, the reason I am posting this is my concern the fenders are factory punched out for the ventiports... yet NO Gran Sport emblem holes  in the quarters... IN FACT, there are side molding holes throughout the doors and quarters and one extra hole for the 'spears" on the fenders...  I wanted to question the GS status of this car especially since someone removed the VIN tag from the door post when primering...  the VIN cowl tag appears GS...  and it sports 401 nailhead frame pads, AND a BB steering shaft...  odd things that could determine a true GS.

The window sticker identifies the W15 B9 GS Performance Group...
AND you can also read it states:  "THE FOLLOWING ITEMS, OPTIONS OR ACCESSORIES ON SOME OTHER MODELS, ARE STANDARD EQUIPMENT ON THIS 1965 MODEL SKYLARK CONVERTIBLE  BRIGHT EXTERIOR MOULDINGS BODY SIDE" ETC.
AM I to believe, reading this shows this GS was ordered with SIDE MOLDINGS much like a Skylark and not just the standard GS ventiports with Gran Sport on the quarters??? 

Your thoughts on this?

BTW, he is asking $8500...ugh.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:04:40 AM by wheelz »
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: 65 GS Vert..strange package?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »
few more pix:
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »
Wheelz,

How is it that you are always finding '65 GS cars and parts?  You must be livin' right.

The window sticker looks correct. The bright exterior moldings appears on all the '65 GS window stickers that I've seen. That option refers to the wide beltline molding that is part of the window sweep and goes around the convertible pinch weld.

The extra hole in front on the ventiport should not be there nor should the trim holes on the door. Most likely fenders and doors are salvaged from a Skylark or Special.

Since this is a Baltimore built GS (from the window sticker info), on the firewall trim tag, there should be a "S" on the bottom line. You can also find a VIN stamped on the frame. You could then compare that VIN with the VIN on the window sticker to confirm that the two belong together. You can view the VIN on the frame only with a mirror. That VIN will be stamped into the frame, on the top side, driver's side, above and by the tailpipe.

There are others things that you could check on the frame to verify that it is a GS. Diameter of the front sway bar or the diameter of the front wheel cylinders. Before putting out $8,500, one should make sure that it is indeed a factory GS. Even so, without the original engine and transmission, the value will be compromised.

John

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 12:00:29 AM »
I can almost see a 'S' under the '159' on the cowl data plate, but VERY hard to see. That would be the proper location for it.
The 44467 model  signifies a V8 Skylark convertible. It wasn't until 1966 that the GS series got it's own model number, which would have been 44667 for a GS vert.
Can you tell if the cowl tag data plate rivets are original? Maybe the GS items were swapped onto a good Skylark body.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 06:57:44 AM »
Walt..definitley an "S".... and I was thinking this was a rebody as well . . . but, the cowl tag has never been off.. factory appearing original rivets... the original lacquer trunk lid paint matches the inside trunk lid paint as well as inside quarter panels, plus, where the Gran Sport emblem on the trunk mounts, it has "SLOTS" and not "holes"....

Upon closer look, the holes along the body side molding are kinda 'ovaled out' and not drilled clean.  Possibly, since this car is coded A1, REGAL BLACK with a white conv top...  is it possible, the buyer had requested body side moldings for a black car and maybe the dealer installed them???   

I dunno. This car has been in a garage since 1982 and the body is so incredibly solid...   I may just have to go back to look it over one more time... with cash in hand...

I have two 65 GS convertibles that I am teetering on trying to restore or not.. THIS body would change everything...

Wheelz, Tampa Bay 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:04:22 AM by wheelz »
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »
note..the TOP PIX on the first post below, shows fender in primer AND, original driver door with factory black lacquer chequing...  SEE the body side molding "holes" are not rounded...   Would the factory have punched "oval shaped holes" for side molding clips??? 

soo many questions.
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »
Walt, good eye on spotting the faint "S" code on the firewall trim tag.

Here's a link to the Craigslist posting. It has a few more photos. Note that the photo of the exterior trim moldings shows the ventiports for a Skylark. But no trim for the side of the doors and rear quarters are shown in that photo. In the one photo of the rear quarter, it appears that there are no trim holes or studs for that Skylark trim. The stainless steel trim that you see next to the Skylark ventiports is the beltline window sweep trim and the convertible pinch weld trim. I used a salvaged Skylark door for my GS restoration. The Skylark trim was held to the door by two oval holes, one at the very front and one back by the jamb. There were also about 3 or 4 studs between the two holes that also held the trim onto the door. Odd that the doors on this convertible do not have the studs, but do have holes instead. The front fenders and doors may be from a salvaged Skylark. Or it may be possible that the dealership installed the Skylark "door ding" trim per customer's request.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/4350409173.html

Wheelz, if you do go have a look at it, check to see if the VIN on the frame matches the VIN on the window sticker.

John

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
"it appears that there are no trim holes or studs for that Skylark trim."   YES, there ARE trim holes on both quarters.. look closely.

I am going to check it out once more....  Keep ya posted.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline wheelz

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 11:22:19 AM »
CAN you or thumbiddy post a pix of the VIN stamped into the chassis???  Im not understanding exactly where those numbers would be and pix would help greatly.  ThanX.

Wheelz, Tampa Bay
Wheelz, Tampa Bay

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:03:05 PM »
Wheelz,

Here's a photo of where to look for that VIN on the frame. Again, you will need a small mirror to see it by holding it between the frame rail and the trunk floor pan. It appears on the top side of the frame. There is another stamped VIN on the frame, just below the driver's door. However, the only way to see that one is with the body off the frame.

Let us know what you find out.

John

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:04:56 PM by nut465gs »

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »
John,

VIN not always stamped there or could be very faint. Remind me again of the frame part number stamped into the side of the frame rail. Isn't that unique to Gran Sports ?
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:46:07 PM »
Dan,

You are correct, sometimes the VIN is not stamped on the frame. Loren bought a GS frame from Brian. We could not find any VIN stamped at either location. Yes, they can be stamp very shallow and can be difficult to read, especially looking backwards and upside down with a mirror. I've used sandpaper to clean up the area a bit to highlight the numbers.

The Skylark GS boxed frames were supplied to Buick by two manufacturers. The frame's part number and manufacturer's ID is stamped on the side of the frame rail, driver's side, by the tailpipe. Frame #9780911 was built by A.O.Smith and would have an "S" in a circle. The other frame used was also used by Pontiac, Frame #9777400 and was built by Parrish and would have a "PA" stamped by the frame number.

John

Offline paul massicotte

• Buick Nut
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:42 AM »
Here's a 66 frame with the VIN location.  Looks like it's right above the muffler hanger location.

Untitled by skylark4speed, on Flickr