Author Topic: new 65 post project  (Read 3761 times)

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
new 65 post project
« on: January 21, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »
Hello, what a great forum you have here. I'm new to buick and just purchased two last sat!  I sold my 68 short box C10  last Tue as I was looking for a stick shift gm muscle car and found this buick the same day on Craig's list. I negotiated a price and agreed to pick it up sat thinking it was just a clone but found out later thanks to members of this site that it is in fact a real 65 post coupe red on black three speed manual car less motor and tranny. The story goes that it was parked in 1972 for a engine rebuild and the owner lost interest and eventually sold the short block and 3-speed but stored everything away in the trunk.  And there it sat until I purchased it. So far I have found an old time slip from the Local quarter mile track, drag strip trophy stickers on quarter glass, blue line gauges still installed and a 4 speed shift knob under the seat. The car is a real time capsule,  still has the kids class of 72 graduation tassel hanging from the rear view. The plan so far is to update the suspension to handle and drop in the low mile grandma fresh 455 out of the 1970 LeSabre I got of craigslist the same day and pair that with a 4 speed. I'm open to suggestions on cam specs to go with high grears stock Heads and new intake? As for the body I'm going to fix the rust in the trunk pan and lower quarters and demouse and clean the interior. Hot rod power tour here I come!

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: new 65 post project
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »
More pics

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:28:30 AM »
Hey sodak.
  I had sent you a message earlier about some linkage parts, but apparently I did not look close enough at your pics. You might want to let some of the guys on here pick on you a little bit because you already have all the hard to find nailhead parts. Your car is a pretty good find......I know it won't be numbers matching,but manual trans cars are not out there.  I would think very strongly about a 425 2 x 4 engine with the right 4 speed.......the car would be very distinguished...just my opinion.

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:33:04 AM »
Well I totally agree a 425 2x4 would be amazing but like I said I don't know anything about nailheads or anyone that does and with a limited budget I really don't think I could afford one.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:00:55 PM by sodak65 »

Offline Loren At 65GS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • Senior Administrator
    • 65 GS dot com
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »
Sodak65,

As you may have noticed, we like our nailheads. 
Don't let that keep you from participating here, still a lot of good info and help. Not to mention sources for parts.
I think the headers may be the hardest parts to find. A friend of mine has the 455/turbo 400 set up in his '65GS. So I could find out what you would need for a radiator. I had built the wiring harness for that engine and converted it to an internal regulator for the alternator. It's all doable, just keep at it.

Good luck, welcome  aboard and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Loren
65 GS hardtop BCA Senior
 65 GS thin pillar coupe
 65 Skylark coupe v-6
 65 GS hardtop restoration project
 65 Sport Wagon
 70 GS 455 htp / original engine
 94 Roadmaster wagon
 96 Roadmaster wagon- parts car
 63 Riviera

BCA 14371
 BCA 65 Gran Sport Division

Offline kcombs

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:30:09 PM »
If it were mine, I would put it back to stock. That is a rare combination and if you have the clutch linkage the rest is not hard to come by. A 401 nailhead with a three speed would be fun to drive and a four speed isn't necessary, especially a close ratio. The nails torque will handle a three speed just fine. Where are you located? It looks like you need a rear clip to fix the rust and I have one in California, if you want to back half that ride.  :icon_biggrin:
Kurt
65 Bucamino
65 two door post (parts?)
65 Special wagon

Offline bobbybuick

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »
If you need anything let me know i am about to complete a car the same as your and have some extra stuff .All the 4 speed stuff i used

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
Back half haha just going to put in a trunk floor and use wofsteel patches. I need a set of sideview mirrors and a hood ornament and maybe a backseat in better shape.

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 10:13:29 AM »
Well I got my SpeedWay G-Comp control amrs and tall dropped spindles the other day, they look really nice for the price and should really help the handling. I'll get them installed as soon as I decide on disk brakes, I think i'm going to stick with stock type later year disks to save money and keep 15" wheels for now. Other plans are qa1 coil overs 1 3/8 sway bar and CPP power steering conversion and thinner steering shaft to clear full length headers.

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »
Well I desided to go with Viking double adjustable coilovers instead of qua1 after doing some research. I've also installed my upper and lower control arms/dropped spindles and front sway bar. I got held up when I found that my steering arm bolt holes are to small for the spindles so I'm going to buy some new later model versions with 1/2" holes. I've also purchased UMI rear control amrs with rotojoints on all four ends and a sway bar to match along with viking double adjusable coilovers to match the front. My original plans for a 5 speed fell through when the adapter from Keisler went belly up so I've purchased a chevy a833 my6 4-speed overdrive from an 86 c10 to put in, It's a straight bolt in other that the bearing reatainer wich usually has to be machined down but its done to this one already. The gearing is virtually the same as a 700r4 and I think it will work nicely with my 455.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 03:12:06 PM »
Good work on the progress!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
I know it looks rough now but I'm going to fully assemble it and get it running this summer then hopefully tear it all down and do a frame off next winter.

Offline sodak65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »
Installed the rear suspension this weekend.

Offline GS66

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 06:38:24 PM »
That looks good!
Jim
North Mankato, MN

65 Gran Sport HT auto
66 Gran Sport Conv. 4 speed
66 Gran Sport Conv auto
66 Gran Sport Post auto
66 Gran Sport HT auto