Author Topic: Just another Flame Red Convertible  (Read 6622 times)

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
Just another Flame Red Convertible
« on: August 04, 2012, 11:57:10 PM »
This one was assembled the 4th week of April in Baltimore. It was purchased by Dr Wilson from Maple Buick Inc in South Orange, NJ. Shortly thereafter he moved to the DFW area for his practice. The car essentially has been in Texas its entire life and garaged.  The second owner purchased from the Wilson estate in July 1997. Mr. McCurry Had an earl scheib type paint job done. He also enjoyed going to swap meets and obtained several used and nos parts that were included. After Mr. McCurrys death his son inherited the car. He is into motorcycles and was anxious to sell. 
 After a test drive and inspection by my painter who assured me the car was rock solid, no filler ect.  I consulted John E and Dan A, who both helped me determine the car was numbers matching throughout, alternator, voltage regulator ect.Other then the aforementioned re paint, the car had later model 14 rallye wheels on it. It was delivered with steel wheels and the knock off hubcaps. Otherwise the car is very much unmolested. 
 I was able to strike a deal, and last winter I disassembled the car and it was delivered to my body man. The same gentleman restored my 68 GS400 convertible that won Senior Gold Concours its first showing at the BCA in Ames, IA. The car is documented by the protect-o plate, and all manuals. I have not found a build sheet. It currently has 61,500 miles. 
This photo was after driving it home last spring. Nice 10 footer eh ?
DL
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:44:50 AM by dl7265 »

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Just another Flame Red Convertible
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:39:39 AM »
Hope there are there more pictures and information coming.  Remember seeing the pictures of this car on Craigslist before the purchase. Nice solid car in need of paint, etc. Great story on the purchase too. It was listed with Don's favorite New England broker. Right ?

Dan
1965 Special Convertible, L33 LS, 4L60

Offline gssizzler

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:44 AM »
That is a Beautiful GS Convertible! Hope you have many years of enjoyment with it! and drive it! That is what I miss the most is not driving my GS as it has been apart many years! Jon

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 03:59:10 PM »
Don,

Your restoration looks to be going very well. The devil is in the details, but you have that under control. Those NOS seat belts are absolutely beautiful. Want to part with them? You'll have plenty of takers. I can't wait to see it all back together again. My favorite color combination.  Thanks for the progress report and photos.

John

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »
Thanks, that is the plan for this build to be my driver. It will still have all the proper plating ect,,,
Seatbelts. hard find. Actually the buckles were nos in boxes, and they were re webbed new black webbing. I'll forward you the sellers info, not sure has anymore.

DL 

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 10:01:31 PM »
I dis assembled the venti-ports and had them triple chrome plated. I have them re assembled( not pictured)  and shipped to the painter.
 Also this weekend, I restored the center console. And installed the NOS tachometer that I was fortune to acquire. Sorry have not posted more. My files are 10x larger then this site allows  :nono:. Trying to downsize them....

DL

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:14:17 PM »
I Acquired a couple more parts while it's at the body shop.

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »
If y'all are bored of my little projects, a few updates from the body shop  :icon_biggrin:
Even being born in Balt, and Delivered to NJ. Spending majority in TX it's very rust free. Just a few typical patches required .
Core support.

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 11:23:47 PM »
Wheelhouse

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »
DL,

Was there ever a battery in that car ? LOL Those wheelhouses are sweet. Is your painter using GM Reconditioning paint or does he mix his own. Satin finish looks just right. Nice extra pieces !!! Get that NOS hood emblem on eBay ?  Coming along really nice.

Dan

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
WoW Dan you're good ! It is GM restoration paint! He uses Dupont for paint, but my friends convertible he just finished got him to try the GM for the Black.

The Hood Orn, showed up in the mail one day !  I was opening packages and  there it was. A gift from  a dear friend.
 It came with a battery, but it wasn't the original   :icon_biggrin:. Did you find an aftermarket battery that is tall enough for the factory clamp ? I'd like to use the battery topper on it. Other option is the full restoration battery, $300 bones.. ugh

DL   

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 04:12:22 PM »
Went through about 4 gallons of it on the convertible so I am familiar with the look.

Have a restoration battery in the convert but using a topper in the red post car. Never found one tall enough so my clamp goes downhill towards the rear of the car. Seems to keep the battery in place.

Dan

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 11:19:54 PM »
Went through about 4 gallons of it on the convertible so I am familiar with the look.

Have a restoration battery in the convert but using a topper in the red post car. Never found one tall enough so my clamp goes downhill towards the rear of the car. Seems to keep the battery in place.

Dan
The DC12 restoration battery says it's 10 L x 6  W x 9H TO TOP OF POST. Pretty disappointing they can't make it same dimensions as the original. I'll have to check the Deka batteries I usually buy, and see what dimensions they are .

DL
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:20:14 AM by dl7265 »

Offline dsags

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »
DL,

I know. That's the battery I have. Didn't read the fine print.  :BangHead:

Dan

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 08:19:15 AM »

Have you considered putting a 1" spacer block under the battery?

John