Author Topic: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455  (Read 14169 times)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2019, 09:04:37 PM »
WHAT??? No washer juice bottle???

I like the masked off reading strip. I am undecided about mine. I have an extra 1970-72 style square tank fender mounted bracket I might use with a square white tank.  Whatcha think about the ad above? Ive contacted the guy by email and may call tomorrow with questions. Actually not too shabby on the $$$ for what it is.  Bill
Nothing comes alive like a 455 !

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
  • Caretaker of one assertive "billy-goat" wagon
It's a survivor . . . .(Re: 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #421 on: April 26, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
Dear Bill and mid-60s Buick longroof fans,

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/d/des-plaines-1964-buick-wagon/6873321462.html

Does this resemble your dash board Edouard?

Well, it is a survivor, but it hasn't been particularly well loved.  It is amazing that Biquette was daily-driver until around 2005 and yet her dash was mostly intact.  This is how it look now with the addition of the tach:

Better still, now that the rear end has been settled - even the speedometer now reads correctly!

Some peculiar differences between this and mine.

Indeed!  I wonder how he managed to get the 1965 power steer pump to line up correctly with the 455.  :icon_scratch:

Cheers, Edouard  :occasion14:

Offline GranSportSedan

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #422 on: April 26, 2019, 01:56:00 PM »
Very nice. I'm a big fan of the green.
Bob
1966 Special Deluxe
1941 Buick Sedanette
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #423 on: April 26, 2019, 03:07:21 PM »
Im still amazed at the difference in the STEEL part of the dash where your AC vent lays. Both of ours' were originally non AC cars right?  Well maybe not THAT different. That yellow wagons' switches threw me off. The power steering a definite deal too as I just went through the same thing. Ultimately, I installed a later model 455 PS pump, brackets and pulleys. Looks like the pulley is flipped over and maybe an extension mandrel on the shaft???      Bill

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 04:19:37 PM by yachtsmanbill »

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #424 on: April 26, 2019, 07:45:39 PM »
Bill, in that last pic, they simply put the pulley on the PS pump backwards!
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #425 on: April 27, 2019, 04:43:43 AM »
Yeah, I got that , however, the PS pump on the later jobs is run around the lower CRANK pulley as a driver, and will rub on the water pump housing. This one appears to use the WP pulley to drive it which means a bunch of other alignment issues on the pump and alternator. Nothing insurmountable, just more reverse engineering.  Bill

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Cutting steel dash was - "fun" . . . (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #426 on: April 27, 2019, 02:24:21 PM »
Dear Bill, Brian, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Im still amazed at the difference in the STEEL part of the dash where your AC vent lays. Both of ours' were originally non AC cars right? 

Yes, my wagon came without air conditioning.  Modifying the dash for the vents was quite a struggle.  However, I was able to get another panel for the center vents so I didn't have to work on the actual article.  Cutting the holes for the outer vents was rather involved.  Rather than clutter up your thread too much, I wrote it up on the Biquette thread.  Here's the link:

http://65gs.com/board/index.php/topic,2610.msg32189.html#msg32189

That yellow wagons' switches threw me off.

I was interested in how this fellow did the knobs.  I'll need to add some accessories for towing like a brake controller.  I'll need to come up with some sort of auxillary panel that still looks correct for a 1965 Buick A-Body.  I'll probably do something like using the same OEM knobs to avoid looking out of place.

Thanks for sharing your restoration adventure!

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #427 on: April 27, 2019, 05:15:51 PM »
No sweat pal... Upgrading to some '65 stuff tomorrow. Gotta pull the core support and drill out the spot welds on the 64 and then replace it with the cross flow 65. LOTS more room to play with. Also the OEM white plastic washer bottle. Not the cap and the part number. The front is shattered from UV or ozone... yer choice.

Gotta go cut veggies for our chicken Caesar salad for dinner tonite! Yumm...   Bill

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #428 on: April 28, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »
For your new lower rad support.....
Those insulators are for the thin tanks. Instead of the metal/rubber bracket, Buick just used rubber ones in the indicated location.
There are avail from CARS. Steele also has them but they cost more (but check shipping cost). They're pricey at $36.25 a pair. You can likely make something similar, it's just a 'L' shaped strip that fit's into the   l_____l   shape of the lower support.
http://www.oldbuickparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=9587

Radiator...
I used a Griffin 1-26242-X. But in/out are on different sides than needed for your 455.
The companion with correct in/out for a 455 is the 1-25242-X. $177
They have another model with thicker core at extra cost.
https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/griffin-thermal-products/product-line/griffin-universal-fit-radiators/inlet-location/upper-driver-side?N=4294494446%2B4294949206%2B4294924102%2B400030%2B632733%2B4294949204&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending
Note the overall dimensions of 27.5" x 19" x 3" thick.
I bought mine about 10 years ago and it's held up well. However there have been some posts on the net since then saying Griffin quality has suffered.
I suggest you do some research on warranty and return policies on the Griffin and other manufacturers. Both Jegs and Summit carry other brands in the same overall size. It's a common size as it fits the early GM A-body. Also fits mid 70's Ford intermediates and Fox body Mustangs.
Try your Buddy at Champion. Maybe you can get one to test fit and offer a better warranty.
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #429 on: April 28, 2019, 10:37:19 AM »
Here's the Griffin in my red 66. Also note the 7 blade (non thermo clutch) fan. The combo works well for me even in 95 degree weather, without fan shroud.
Your in/outs will be different, but note the tank/core junction isn't in the perfect location for the rad cover plate on one side, but perfect for the other side.

The cover plate you got is for a thinner tank. The GS version has a longer indent for the insulator (same $36  insulators as the bottom support). You can likely use your top plate or mod it to better fit the rad of your choice. I've noted the difference in the 3rd pic.

Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline yachtsmanbill

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #430 on: April 28, 2019, 06:51:38 PM »
I was feeling HOT under the collar, so since I couldnt handle the heat I had to get outa the kitchen...I guess sometimes I don't have the capacity of rational thinking outside the ice box. Being a German and a Virgo almost makes me a perfect storm... Not a Trifecta, but at least a Daily Double!  I always try to thank people for any kind of input, and if I get off track and miss one or two, my sincerest apologies! Ive gotten way more input from 65GS.com than the place across the hall for sure. If you ever meander over there, youll notice that I usually preface a post with a pic of Mr. Natural (my ex moniker) trying to garner at least a response to a lengthy post with lotsa pics, usually resulting in nothing from the bleacher patrons, even in regards to my sick (sic) train of thought. Hmmm. Fork me... Im almost done over there. Exspurts and wholey men abound with little more than criticism. Hey, I am my own worst judge; I dont need help in that department LOL...

So as of today we are actually getting somewhere. After a casual Sunday start at 0900hrs, within an hour or so, I had the OEM core support out, and spot welds cut out and replaced with the new 1965 crossflow support. Another hour and it was in. The dang Virgo came into play however, since I was trying to re-capture the essence of the job, I took a hundred measurements and averaged the "placement" within a "mean" 1/16".

When I pulled the CS this morning I was extremely lackadaisical about the method and left the fenders and inners "hanging" from the firewall. The CS went back in loosely, then started tightening the 28 bolts gradually, testing the doors as I progressed and BAMM! Everything was perfect. Period.

Walt, I need to thank you about the concise reply with pics of your install. Some of your mounting issues are exactly what is/was concerning me. Then the size issue, which is where Mike  (TM) comes in. We chatted about the same issues almost a month ago while I was still measuring air. Now wit  the mount(s) back where they truly belong, we can get down to some true engineering and not guess work.

As things stand right now, the gross allotment of cooling space is established, and presented itself as thus: Absolute maximum allowable width is 27 inches, the height max. is 18-1/2 and almost <4" on the thickness. The 4 rubber pad points are able to be repositioned according to the fit on the new cooler. Aluminum although very strong, can work harden and become brittle in a jiffy. Not to even mention a rub. I am trying to replicate a factory install. Now I am dealing with a German, Virgo, trained  mechanical engineer. Can it get any better?

I guess the size boils down to 26 X 19 X 4". I am gonna call my Champion dealer pal tomorrow and try to order a unit. He was really involved with the Jefferson swap meet that got slushed out Saturday. Gotta let him recharge his batteries too...   Bill
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 06:53:41 PM by yachtsmanbill »

Online TrunkMonkey

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
  • 65GS.com Mechanic
« Reply #431 on: April 29, 2019, 10:46:18 AM »
Bill,

This is the radiator I used.
Direct replacement for the '65 GS and allowed the shroud to fit correctly.

I was able to set it in the lower support, without the support brackets (could not find them), but I used about 1 inch thick "comfort mat" cut into strips wide enough to lay in the bottom, and another strip on top of the radiator, so it is isolated and the top plate applies a little compression to the rubber.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Mohawk-Home-Utility-Bay-Black-Rectangular-Door-Mat-Common-3-ft-x-3-ft-Actual-36-in-x-36-in/1000265883

I bought the mat to lay in the bottom of the HVAC closet floor since I have all hardwood floors to help absorb the sound. And had to cut it to fit, so I had leftovers and used them to make the support cushions.

Hope that helps. :)
Michael

The first 60 years were spent on surviving. The second 60 are gonna be spent on fun!

Offline schlepcar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #432 on: April 29, 2019, 11:09:03 AM »
There seems to be a difference in this site as to those who work on cars and those who bought cars....lol. I like using ?whatever? works on certain jobs. I like the Lowe?s material....sorta reminds me of the hot water blanket I used for floor insulation instead of buying the other stuff that looked exactly the same for triple the dough. That car is moving along rather fast,keep up the good work. This is the only car site that I am on anymore. It is American made cars that are well preserved by people who have an appreciation for what they/we are.

Offline 197064buickspec

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #433 on: April 29, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »
Cut the nubs off and weather strip glue them to the bottom of the radiator. You just need 2 at the bottom as normal.

Offline elagache

• Crazy about Buick!
Jurassic Classic ?!?!??? (Re: Secret experimental 1964 GX 455)
« Reply #434 on: April 29, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
Dear Bill, Michael, Dan, Brian, and mid-60s Buick caregivers,

Glad to see the radiator caper is finally working out!   :hello2:

I like using ?whatever? works on certain jobs.
. . . .

You are so right!

.  . . . I dunno' Brian.  Buying parts from Jurassic Classic !?!?!??

https://jcaparts.com/

I certainly agree that mid-60s Buicks are endangered but I didn't think they went all the way back to over 145 million years ago!  . . . . . . .

Seriously, I never heard of this company until now.  Thanks for the pointer Brian!  :thumbsup: