Author Topic: Steering Wheel Color  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
Steering Wheel Color
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:03:12 PM »
I've been communicating some with Frank McIntrye on a steering wheel and I'm wondering if someone knows the correct color code. The interior is red. Got the following info from http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/. The 1965 Buick Ditzler Automotive finishes sheet show some codes for reds for the various components, but the wheel covering is solid plastic and not painted and seems to be a little more "red" then the other interior components. Wonder if I should just cut some of the unfaded material off and send to him for color match, but was hoping someone here could simplify this some. Thanks for any advice.

Dwaine
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Steering Wheel Color
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:34:02 AM »
Hi Dwaine,

I also have the metallic red interior in my '65 GS convertible.  If you haven't already noticed there are a number of different shades of red in our interiors. The dash pad, vinyl fabric, plastic console parts and of course, the steering wheel are all different shades. The steering wheel is molded in a reddish, maroon color plastic. It does not match anything else in the interior. Frank's reproduction steering wheels are cast in a flat black plastic. It will need to be painted a color of your choice. This painted method will never match the original cast plastic exactly.

Here is what I've done so far with my interior. If you're buying all new vinyl fabric for seats and door panels, no problem. However, if you plan to re dye your original fabric just to freshen it up, from The Parts Place, vinyl dye  ( VO8 Chevy Metallic Red), works great. Shake the can real well before and during use, a few light coats. For the dash pad, SEM Vinyl Color Coat Dye, Napa Red #15273, is a good match. it can be bought at most auto paint supply shops. It is a darker Maroon color like the original dash vinyl. For the metal parts of the dash, I took the glove box door to an auto paint store and had them use a computer scan to match the color. After they mixed up a quart, they then filled it into spray cans for me. I could post that paint formula if you wish. I bought one of Franks steering wheels and plan to paint it with that same dash paint. It wouldn't match the original cast plastic steering wheel, but it will at least match the steering column and the dash. Attached is a photo of my factory original interior, with the exception of the driver's seat which had been reupholster in the wrong color.  Hope this helps.

John Egel

Offline Weldar

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:40:48 PM »
John,

Thanks a bunch for the info. If you don't mind please post the paint formula you mention. Think I'll go ahead and just purchase the raw wheel from Frank. I have a like new dash pad and this would save me a lot vs. resto of the original dash pad.

One thing I've not considered (an I assume there are many more of these to come) is how new vinyl on seats (plan to use Legendary based on post recommendations from this Forum) will match with door panels. Mine are in pretty decent shape and thought I'd just clean them up and reuse. Maybe I need to rethink this......
65 Skylark GS HT Auto - Under restoration
65 Skylark GS HT 4sp - Driver
2 x 65 Skylarks for parts

"If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready" - Les K.
"The closer to the wellhead the better" - Oilfield Oldtimer

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:36:33 AM »
Dwaine,

Here's the formula for the metallic red dash paint. The formula also has a clear added to it.

PPG paint  DBU72795
Code         Color       Cumulative    Parts
DMD629   Maroon        184.0          184.0
DMD633   Med. Alu       225.8          41.8
DMD670   Violet           265.2          39.4
DMD646   Wk White     296.2         27.0
DMD622   Red              297.4           5.2
DBX695    Clear           518.0          220.6

I don't know what all this means, but I'm sure that any auto paint store should be able to figure it out.  In fact, it might be wise to have them scan your glove box for a match. It's possible that cars made in different assembly plants may have a different paint supplier and/or have variations in paint color.

Comparing 45 year old aged vinyl to brand new vinyl, it may be noticeable. Only one way to tell, buy and see.  Good luck.

John Egel

Offline WkillGS

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »

One thing I've not considered (an I assume there are many more of these to come) is how new vinyl on seats (plan to use Legendary based on post recommendations from this Forum) will match with door panels. Mine are in pretty decent shape and thought I'd just clean them up and reuse. Maybe I need to rethink this......

Dwaine, Legendary has a sale every winter, so that's the time to buy. Their site shows a sale going on until Jan 3rd. In years past, it's been 15-25% off.

http://www.legendaryautointeriors.com/
Walt K
Eastern Pa

66 GS Astro Blue/blue 425 auto
66 GS Silver Mist/black 401 4 spd
66 GS Flame Red/black 401 5 spd
66 GS Saddle Mist/black 401 L76 auto
66 Special Flame Red/black 300 5 spd
65 GS vert Verde Green/ Saddle buckets 401 4 spd
79 Turbo Regal

Offline option B9

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:30:34 PM »

Hi Dwaine, John, & Walt
   I also have a red interior in my GS coupe restoration project . I removed the interior this past summer. And had to remove the glove compartment door and give it  to my automotive paint supply store for a color match of the dashboard face.( just like John Did ) I will list all the numbers on the can..
 PPG Duracryl Acrylic Lacquer.
 Brand code 71590
 OEM code W30A3387.
 BurgundyPoly(Gloss),
 Burgundy Poly(FG)
   There are no other numbers on the can.
  16 years ago I purchased a red interior from Legendary for my GS Conv. And it still looks great after all these years, they have a good product and
are very nice to deal with. And the seats matched up good with my origional door panels. I just had to dye the lower part of the panel where the carpeting is.   This is a slow time of year for sellers of restoration parts. If you can, buy now and save some money. Allmost everyone gives some kind of a discount.

Tony G
65 GS Hardtop 401 Silver, Black Vinyl top, Black interior,  
65 GS Thin Pillar coupe 401 Red on Red interior (Steve Shuman's) undergoing restoration.
65 GS Convertible 401 White, Red interior, Black top. BCA # 15317

Offline dl7265

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:43:27 AM »
  The New wheel Frank sells is polypropylene . I'm not sure what the original was ? Usually an adhesion promoter would be recommended with these type plasticizers. It would be interesting to see if the new wheel accepted the paint with better or worse success then re doing an original wheel. I've had an 67/68 style plastic wheel epoxy repaired and painted before and it turned out excellent.

I suspect that having him do a run of "Red" injected wheels in the mold other then painting the colors other then black would not be cost effective. IE he would be stuck with a lot of Red wheels he could not sell.

DL

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »
My steering wheel is red and I had it re-cast by a guy in PA.  We matched up the color from a piece of the plastic hidden underneath the horn button where it was not exposed to the sun and elements all those years.  He made a mold, then hand injection molded it with plastic resin mixed to the correct color, then sanded and buffed out the plastic when he was done.  Looks better then they did when new.  I actually still have the original and we used a busted up black one I had from a parts car for the core. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)