Author Topic: Throttle Linkage on dual quad setup  (Read 1822 times)

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
Throttle Linkage on dual quad setup
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:19:17 AM »
I've heard/read the stories about the dual quads being ordered new and being in the trunk and so on,
so my question is when this happened, was there a throttle linkage (firewall to rear carb) in the trunk - is there a factory Skylark GS linkage part?  Does the Riv 2x4 linkage work?

I've got a couple factory 2x4 Wildcats, and I feel lucky to have the factory linkage, although its not that hard to make one out of  a single 4bbl part.

What are y'all using?
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's

Offline nut465gs

• Administrator
  • Crazy about Buick!
Re: Throttle Linkage on dual quad setup
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »
Ted,

I found that it's just as easy to cut the original throttle rod (firewall to carb) to length and re-thread the rod.  I also have gone to a salvage yard and found '60s GM rods as extras for possible future conversions.

John Egel

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
  • Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 06:07:09 AM »
That is what I did--cut and rethreaded one off of a regular skylark parts car.  I also bent the throttle arm on the firewall toward the drivers side, then back straight at the upper end to give it a 1/2" offset so it didn't hit the ignition coil.  Then a straight throttle rod (shortened that is) works perfect between the arm and the carb. 
'64 Skylark 2dr ht 4 speed, 300-4
'65 GS ht, 4 speed,2-4s,AC,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,Tilt
'66 Skylark 2dr ht 300-2 automatic
'78 Yamaha DT 400 2 stroke
'88 Ford F-150 4x4 (used to be 4x2)
'89 Ford F-350 4x4
'03 Honda Accord Coupe V6 6-speed manual (daily driver)

Offline wildcat65

• Crazy about Buick!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 02:09:37 PM »
Cool, thats what I'm going to do for my Wildcat conversion (5-sp, x-code dq manifold)
I'm using a Edelbrock 750 cfm for a carb on the 65 Skylark GS.  Stock throttle will work on that...

What paint looks correct on the linkage bits?  is it zinc plated or dull phosphate?  all mine are looking pretty dull, except for the replated ones that look shiny. 

Ted
Ted Nagel         65 Skylark GS 4-speed + Wildcats + GS's